Any one else get mistaken for a Hobo?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 19th 09, 05:35 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Any one else get mistaken for a Hobo?

KingOfTheApes wrote:
Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
"I live in a strange little city where the only people that typicly
ride bikes (olther than $3000 carbon fiber jobbies) are hobos and
DWIs, especialy a twenty year old schwinn MTB with a milk-crate trunk-
basket. I'm starting to feel persecuted. Even the cops give me a long
look over. On the flip-side I was driving through Boston and Cambridge
yesterday. WOW! Peddlebike Meca! All KINDS of bikes, every where with
all kinds of riders. I was all like...wow......."

In my city, there are several different types of riders. We have the
commuters on their commute bikes with fenders, chainguards, and good
lighting systems, we have the restaurant and supermarket workers riding
department store bikes, we have a lot of racers passing through, and we
have the parents of many adult residents that came from China and that
don't drive but are used to cycling, and they ride to the local stores,
particularly the Asian markets. They also sometimes carry their
grandchildren on the bikes in ways that would make the "let's pass more
laws to make everything safe for everyone" people cringe.

I remember going on a ride with my son and wife one day, and along the
way we stopped at Costco for frozen yogurt, and were sitting near the
bike racks eating and my son said that we looked like hobos.