Good news on water bottles - no more plastic taste

Old April 20th 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Good news on water bottles - no more plastic taste

After years of drinking out of my Specialized water bottles, I had
resigned myself to the plastic taste that you get within an hour. I
had initially thought the plastic taste would subside after use but
years later, it still tasted strong. I didn't really mind the taste,
so I convinced myself...

But lo, I saw some Elite bottles that were even larger (at 28oz vs 24)
on sale, so I bought em. Behold, no more plastic taste! I wish I found
out about these earlier but now I know, I ain't going back. I'm going
the Tom Boonen way - Specialized (bottles for me, bikes for him)
sucks! So for others who have been suffering polyprocrapoline taste
syndrome with their bottles, try the Elite bottles.

Josh

Old April 20th 07, 06:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

wrote:
After years of drinking out of my Specialized water bottles, I had
resigned myself to the plastic taste that you get within an hour. I
had initially thought the plastic taste would subside after use but
years later, it still tasted strong. I didn't really mind the taste,
so I convinced myself...

But lo, I saw some Elite bottles that were even larger (at 28oz vs 24)
on sale, so I bought em. Behold, no more plastic taste! I wish I found
out about these earlier but now I know, I ain't going back. I'm going
the Tom Boonen way - Specialized (bottles for me, bikes for him)
sucks! So for others who have been suffering polyprocrapoline taste
syndrome with their bottles, try the Elite bottles.

I will have to check these out. I have tried everything. I really
don't want the water to taste like it came from a garden hose. I tried
Nalgene (their bike bottles are not lexan, so are nothing special),
Camelback (hate the sucky-straw thing, and they are too big to fit the
holders. Currently I am using a Sigg -- works well for an aluminum
(lined with something else) bottle, but pricey.

--

David L. Johnson

If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach
a conclusion. -- George Bernard Shaw
Old April 20th 07, 06:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Apr 20, 1:15 am, "David L. Johnson"
[...]

Hi there.

I use Powerade bottles as my water bottles when the Powerade is gone.
The 710 ml bottles have a flip cap that exposes the valve type spout.
When the flip cap is closed over the spout the spout is protected from
road/trail dust and other nasty contaminents thrown up by the tyres. I
have never had a plastic taste from these bottles. What is really
great is you get them for about $2.00 CDN for the 710 ml size. These
are often on sale for $1.00 CDN. They fit most H2O cages.

Cheers from Peter

Old April 20th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 20, 1:32 am, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

From my experience these thin disposables are just that, disposable

and though one can reuse them as you do (and I have), for everyday use
I'd strongly recommend just getting large Elite bottles. They will
last years and are way bigger than 710ml. I hate having to stop for
water and esp paying for it and I don't have a team car behind to hand
me a new tiny bottle every 30min. I don't know how old you are Peter,
but with age I'm learning that getting the right tool for the job,
even if more costly at first, is the best way to go.

Old April 20th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Apr 20, 10:44 am, wrote:
[...]

From my experience these thin disposables are just that, disposable

and though one can reuse them as you do (and I have), for everyday use
I'd strongly recommend just getting large Elite bottles. They will
last years and are way bigger than 710ml. I hate having to stop for
water and esp paying for it and I don't have a team car behind to hand
me a new tiny bottle every 30min. I don't know how old you are Peter,
but with age I'm learning that getting the right tool for the job,
even if more costly at first, is the best way to go.- Hide quoted text -

Hi there.

It was only a suggestion.

I agree about the right tool for the job. I mentioned the Powerade
bottles I use because I find them very handy. They are also clear
which allows me to see at a glance how much water remains in one.

I am 55 and can carry up to 5 of these bottles at once on my bicycle
when I go for long distance rides. One is on the handle bar mount
between the aero bars, one is on the downtube, one is on the seat tube
and two are on holder behind the saddle. That is 3550 ml total or just
over 3.5 liters which is plenty or most rides here in South Central
Ontario Canada. If I do need more water I can always stop at a service
station and refill. Carrying more than one bottle allows me to have
plain water in one or more and a sports drink in others.

Cheers from Peter

Old April 20th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Nakashima

"Sir Ridesalot" wrote in message

I agree about the right tool for the job. I mentioned the Powerade
bottles I use because I find them very handy. They are also clear
which allows me to see at a glance how much water remains in one.

I am 55 and can carry up to 5 of these bottles at once on my bicycle
when I go for long distance rides. One is on the handle bar mount
between the aero bars, one is on the downtube, one is on the seat tube
and two are on holder behind the saddle. That is 3550 ml total or just
over 3.5 liters which is plenty or most rides here in South Central
Ontario Canada. If I do need more water I can always stop at a service
station and refill. Carrying more than one bottle allows me to have
plain water in one or more and a sports drink in others.

Cheers from Peter

Geezers, you're carrying almost a gallon of fluids on your bike.
Makes me wonder how many miles between a Wendy's & McDonalds
are there in South Central Ontario Canada?
-tom

Old April 20th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Apr 20, 11:24 am, "Tom Nakashima" wrote:
"Sir Ridesalot" wrote in message
I agree about the right tool for the job. I mentioned the Powerade
bottles I use because I find them very handy. They are also clear
which allows me to see at a glance how much water remains in one.

I am 55 and can carry up to 5 of these bottles at once on my bicycle
when I go for long distance rides. One is on the handle bar mount
between the aero bars, one is on the downtube, one is on the seat tube
and two are on holder behind the saddle. That is 3550 ml total or just
over 3.5 liters which is plenty for most rides here in South Central
Ontario Canada. If I do need more water I can always stop at a service
station and refill. Carrying more than one bottle allows me to have
plain water in one or more and a sports drink in others.

Cheers from Peter

Geezers, you're carrying almost a gallon of fluids on your bike.
Makes me wonder how many miles between a Wendy's & McDonalds
are there in South Central Ontario Canada?
-tom

Hi Tom.

On some of the backroads I frequent it can be quite a distance. I do
not always carry that much water. I do carry them all on the really
hot days when I am riding long distance. Better to have too much than
not enough then.

Cheers from Peter

Old April 20th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Gillies

Sir Ridesalot writes:

On Apr 20, 11:24 am, "Tom Nakashima" wrote:

I am 55 and can carry up to 5 of these bottles at once on my bicycle
when I go for long distance rides.

You are a perfect candidate for a Camelback drink system, or the
generic equivalent.

- Don Gillies
San diego, CA
Old April 20th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Nakashima

"Sir Ridesalot" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Well I looked at this in perspective Peter,
At least you can say you can get 100 miles to the gallon.
-tom

water bottles,helmets Mark General 191 July 17th 05 04:05 PM
Wtb: New water bottles in quantity Brett Thompson Marketplace 1 April 7th 05 09:22 PM
Old style water bottles Richard Tack Techniques 8 September 14th 04 08:32 PM
WTB: New water bottles in quantity Brett Thompson Marketplace 0 September 8th 04 04:02 AM
Aerodynamic Water Bottles T. Field Techniques 5 July 30th 03 05:10 AM