Please talk me out of it!

Old January 19th 04, 05:38 PM
Thomas

Default Please talk me out of it!

Hi All,

I'm now in the fortunate position of having a bit of spare cash and have
made the mistake of eyeing up new bicycles. Alas, whilst I live in quite a
nice area of London, my flat's up four flights of narrow stairs and storing
my current rustheap inside isn't an option.

Please tell me I can't keep an alright (c. £500) bike outside with a plastic
sheet over it and fifteen locks securing it... it's going to be bad, isn't
it?

Tom, now looking to move elsewhere.

Old January 19th 04, 05:52 PM
Call me Bob

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:38:24 -0000, "Thomas" tom [at] greysheep [dot]
co [dot] uk wrote:

Please tell me I can't keep an alright (c. £500) bike outside with a plastic
sheet over it and fifteen locks securing it... it's going to be bad, isn't
it?

Yeah, it's gonna be bad. The bike, or the components will be stolen.

You have the right idea, move house, then get nice shiny new bike.
--

"Bob"

'The people have spoken, the *******s'

Email address is spam trapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.
Old January 19th 04, 05:56 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Thomas" tom [at] greysheep [dot] co [dot] uktyped

Hi All,

I'm now in the fortunate position of having a bit of spare cash and have
made the mistake of eyeing up new bicycles. Alas, whilst I live in quite a
nice area of London, my flat's up four flights of narrow stairs and storing
my current rustheap inside isn't an option.

Please tell me I can't keep an alright (c. £500) bike outside with a plastic
sheet over it and fifteen locks securing it... it's going to be bad, isn't
it?

Tom, now looking to move elsewhere.

A nice pricy bike will be quite easy to carry upstairs. I wouldn't leave
it outside.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old January 19th 04, 05:56 PM
Stephen \(aka steford\)

Thomas wrote:
Hi All,

I'm now in the fortunate position of having a bit of spare cash and
have made the mistake of eyeing up new bicycles. Alas, whilst I live
in quite a nice area of London, my flat's up four flights of narrow
stairs and storing my current rustheap inside isn't an option.

Please tell me I can't keep an alright (c. £500) bike outside with a
plastic sheet over it and fifteen locks securing it... it's going to
be bad, isn't it?

Tom, now looking to move elsewhere.

Won't be that bad carrying a new, lighter bike upstairs will it? For just
that bit of effort you'll have shiny new wheels.

Old January 19th 04, 05:59 PM
Thomas

co [dot] uk wrote:

Please tell me I can't keep an alright (c. £500) bike outside with a

plastic
sheet over it and fifteen locks securing it... it's going to be bad,

isn't
it?

Yeah, it's gonna be bad. The bike, or the components will be stolen.

You have the right idea, move house, then get nice shiny new bike.

Hehe, ta - currently begining to regret moving from my last pad in West
Kensington - lovely area, and a whole celler in which to
store/dismantle/break my bike. Shame half the people who lived there were
utter b*stards.

Ho hum, it *shall* happen!

Old January 19th 04, 06:02 PM
Thomas

Thomas wrote:
Hi All,

I'm now in the fortunate position of having a bit of spare cash and
have made the mistake of eyeing up new bicycles. Alas, whilst I live
in quite a nice area of London, my flat's up four flights of narrow
stairs and storing my current rustheap inside isn't an option.

Please tell me I can't keep an alright (c. £500) bike outside with a
plastic sheet over it and fifteen locks securing it... it's going to
be bad, isn't it?

Tom, now looking to move elsewhere.

Won't be that bad carrying a new, lighter bike upstairs will it? For just
that bit of effort you'll have shiny new wheels.

I wouldn't mind it so much, but these are four flights of very narrow,
nicely-carpeted stairs. In the summer I think it'll be fine, but bringing it
in after a downpour's going to make a hell of mess. I think at least...

Hmm.

/plots...

Old January 19th 04, 06:22 PM
Stan Cox

Thomas wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Hi All,

snip

I wouldn't mind it so much, but these are four flights of very narrow,
nicely-carpeted stairs. In the summer I think it'll be fine, but bringing it
in after a downpour's going to make a hell of mess. I think at least...

Hmm.

/plots...

One thing you will NEVER be forgiven for is messing up the nice
carpet...I know.

Stan Cox

Old January 19th 04, 06:23 PM
Tony Raven

Thomas wrote:

Please tell me I can't keep an alright (c. £500) bike outside with a plastic
sheet over it and fifteen locks securing it... it's going to be bad, isn't
it?

Where did you say you lived? ;-)

Tony

Old January 19th 04, 07:54 PM
davebee

Stan Cox wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Hi All,

snip

I wouldn't mind it so much, but these are four flights of very narrow,
nicely-carpeted stairs. In the summer I think it'll be fine, but
bringing it in after a downpour's going to make a hell of mess. I
think at least...

Hmm.

/plots...

One thing you will NEVER be forgiven for is messing up the nice
carpet...I know.
Stan Cox

you might want to consdier this...

In the block of flats I am living in the (*******) landlords have banne
keeping bikes in rooms. I have a Dawes Galaxy with lots of modification
(recently valued c£1300) and there is NO WAY i am keeping it outside, s
I am planning on getting a travel case and keeping it in that. If yo
break it down outside and then take it in (line the bag/box with bi
bags etc) then you wont get the carpets mucky

any use

-

Old January 19th 04, 08:14 PM
Mark van Gorkom

Please tell me I can't keep an alright (c. £500) bike outside with a plastic
sheet over it and fifteen locks securing it... it's going to be bad, isn't
it?

A nice upmarket folder perhaps?