it must be the second water bottle...

Old May 9th 05, 07:11 PM
ronaldo_jeremiah

Default it must be the second water bottle...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php
id=photos/2005/may05/catshill05/228_2846

-or-

http://tinyurl.com/dzf5t

what the hell?

Old May 9th 05, 07:23 PM
TZ

the chain is still in the big ring. maybe he should have shifted to the
little ring.

Old May 9th 05, 07:35 PM
ronaldo_jeremiah

ah, I missed that, you're right. only thing I can figure is he got
tangled with someone on the way up and lost all his momentum.

Damn that McGuire kit is ugly.

-RJ

Old May 9th 05, 07:51 PM

What kind of shoes is that guy wearing? The don't look like road
shoes. Was he planning on pushing?

JT

Old May 9th 05, 11:50 PM

What kind of shoes is that guy wearing? The don't look like road
shoes. Was he planning on pushing?

JT

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/d310a9a99781181f

Haven't seen this in the pro/1/2 race though.

Lots of people shift chainrings at the bottom of the hill,
which increases the world market demand for chain watchers.

Trying to shift chainrings in the middle of the hill increases
the demand for chains, since you'll likely need a new one.

Wohlberg always went up it in the big ring AFAICT.

Old May 10th 05, 02:28 AM
gwhite

" wrote:

Wohlberg always went up it in the big ring AFAICT.

Dumbass,

That's right.

In the 8sp days, I used to do it with a 46x22 low, where I shifted down
to the 46 in the straight before the turn+hill. If someone can't turn a
46x22 or 46x23 up that hill, they're dropped.

With a 12-25 10sp, you might as well big-ring it with a crossed chain,
like Wohlberg.
Old May 10th 05, 03:18 AM
Howard Kveck

In article , gwhite
wrote:

" wrote:

Wohlberg always went up it in the big ring AFAICT.

Dumbass,

That's right.

In the 8sp days, I used to do it with a 46x22 low, where I shifted down
to the 46 in the straight before the turn+hill. If someone can't turn a
46x22 or 46x23 up that hill, they're dropped.

With a 12-25 10sp, you might as well big-ring it with a crossed chain,
like Wohlberg.

An lot of people try to do that race with a 39-53 setup. I think the
change to the 39 is too much, unless you can also get the rear shifted over
a few at the same time, just as you start up the hill. But that's still
asking for trouble via a dropped chain (too much shifting activity at
once). The 46 small ring idea is a good one.

--
tanx,
Howard

Butter is love.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old May 10th 05, 08:44 AM
HB

skrev i en meddelelse
ups.com...
What kind of shoes is that guy wearing? The don't look like road
shoes. Was he planning on pushing?

JT

If he was, I hope he had the cleat covers in his pocket, 'cause Speedplay
cleats must be the worst to run in (on)

HB

Old May 11th 05, 12:46 AM
gwhite

Howard Kveck wrote:

In article , gwhite
wrote:

" wrote:

Wohlberg always went up it in the big ring AFAICT.

Dumbass,

That's right.

In the 8sp days, I used to do it with a 46x22 low, where I shifted down
to the 46 in the straight before the turn+hill. If someone can't turn a
46x22 or 46x23 up that hill, they're dropped.

With a 12-25 10sp, you might as well big-ring it with a crossed chain,
like Wohlberg.

An lot of people try to do that race with a 39-53 setup. I think the
change to the 39 is too much, unless you can also get the rear shifted over
a few at the same time, just as you start up the hill. But that's still
asking for trouble via a dropped chain (too much shifting activity at
once).

You got it -- this ooops happens all the time by people freaked out by
the 23% grade. A 39t is simply the wrong choice for that course.

The 53-46 shift is 14%, and the road is rising a small bit before
entering the turn. So at most it is a very crisp front shift (since the
rings are close in size), and one click in the back. But the back shift
can probably be skipped, since you'll be clicking the opposite way in a
few seconds. You don't even have to pop back to the 53 till riding the
downhill.

The 46 small ring idea is a good one.

The problem these days, as I see it, is it is nearly impossible to find
an _inner_ 46t ring, especially for 9 & 10sp. There will be problems of
spacing between rings if the technical setup is not correctly performed
along with using properly designed parts. The chain might "want" to
ride in between the rings and not seat down. (This is the same
technical problem faced by die-hard half-step fans.) I've gone thru all
these problems and have them solved for my bike. Now mine is primo.

But I think a properly designed (for 9/10) "standard" inner 44t is
likely available. That is probably good enough. Even a 42t is better
than a 39t. A 53-39t front combo is horrid for that course. The last
time I did that race was with a 53-45 front.

It is all about carrying a lot of momentum into the hill, and then
holding it, just like Wohlberg does it. Stay away from the mid- and
rear-pack dumbasses. MTB shoes are a a reasonable idea in case one gets
caught behind some screwup and the resultant forced dismount.
Old May 11th 05, 07:52 AM
Howard Kveck

In article , gwhite
wrote:

The problem these days, as I see it, is it is nearly impossible to find
an _inner_ 46t ring, especially for 9 & 10sp. There will be problems of
spacing between rings if the technical setup is not correctly performed
along with using properly designed parts. The chain might "want" to
ride in between the rings and not seat down. (This is the same
technical problem faced by die-hard half-step fans.) I've gone thru all
these problems and have them solved for my bike. Now mine is primo.

But I think a properly designed (for 9/10) "standard" inner 44t is
likely available. That is probably good enough. Even a 42t is better
than a 39t. A 53-39t front combo is horrid for that course. The last
time I did that race was with a 53-45 front.

It is pretty hard to come up with anything but standard rings for the
newer cranksets, but it does look like Sheldon Brown/Harris Cyclery has
some for Shimano cranks. It used to be easy to get just about any size ring.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings/130.html

It is all about carrying a lot of momentum into the hill, and then
holding it, just like Wohlberg does it. Stay away from the mid- and
rear-pack dumbasses. MTB shoes are a a reasonable idea in case one gets
caught behind some screwup and the resultant forced dismount.

Keeping your momentum onto the hill is not always that easy when in a
bunch. The joints in the concrete sure don't help, either.

--
tanx,
Howard

Butter is love.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Water bottle parts carrier? John Techniques 52 October 11th 04 03:59 AM
Zefal Isotherm water bottle keeps water coldest? chris General 77 July 27th 04 01:46 AM
Water Bottle Solutions? [email protected] Techniques 22 June 21st 04 06:36 PM
water bottle mounting MarkR General 8 May 20th 04 08:55 PM
Water bottle you don't have to tip up Dan Musicant General 9 July 23rd 03 06:51 PM