Just what is it about lycra?!?

Old November 22nd 06, 12:52 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Default Just what is it about lycra?!?

PiledHigher wrote:

The rabid anti lycra crowd are afraid that they have teh ghey when
they see a fit body in lycra and they like it.

Err, yes I suppose whatever you said.

Theo

Old November 22nd 06, 12:58 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Parbs

Donga wrote:

Not the goose riding the paceline in front of me on Sunday. He had some
of those awful knicks with a small mesh panel at the top of his
bumcrack. So wrong! I had to drop back and let his buddy in front of
me. What are these people thinking?

You've seen him as well??!! There cant be more than one.

Parbs - who was confronted by such a sight on the 'Gong ride
Old November 22nd 06, 01:05 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter Signorini

"Fractal" wrote:

Nah Im just reporting what some cyclists think. Could write a book on
subcultures and thier cycling clothes- you know the long sleeves and
beanie BMX crowd, the cafe racer and lycra crowd, fairdinkum racers who
were born in lycra, the crunchy granola save the planet Tshirt'n jeans
crowd, the BUG crowd (Ground Effect, Spring Cycle jersey), the old blokes
with grey beards and a bush hat and a pair of Bunyip panniers touring
crowd, young dudes in baggys, women in long skirts and a sun hat - theres
one I see in Pyrmont occasionally.

Hmmm. But what about those of us who have elements of all of these
sub-cultures? Are we the true multiculturals?

Not averse to using long sleeves and a beanie at times, while wearing lycra
even, I've been wearing lycra since it first came in (late 70s - even used
the old wool knicks before that), but love the Ground Effect gear for its
good design and clean look without trade crap. I like to tour, have a beard
and had Bunyips (now Ortlieb are the standard to aim for), and when
travelling in the bush will wear a bush hat (around camp, not while
cycling). Women in skirts is the only cycling culture that I don't fit into.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old November 22nd 06, 01:14 PM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

Parbs Wrote:

You've seen him as well??!! There cant be more than one.

Parbs - who was confronted by such a sight on the 'Gong ride

This calls for updated bunch skills, ie: "arsecrack back"

--
cfsmtb

Old November 22nd 06, 07:24 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Ray

In article ,
says...
There are some very callipygous women riding bikes. Ah yes.

Oooh yes.

Old November 22nd 06, 08:14 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

cfsmtb wrote:
Parbs Wrote:

You've seen him as well??!! There cant be more than one.

Parbs - who was confronted by such a sight on the 'Gong ride

This calls for updated bunch skills, ie: "arsecrack back"

--
cfsmtb

"Bums up!"
.... or when you come next to him: "So, you're a plumber then?"

Donga

Old November 22nd 06, 10:18 PM posted to aus.bicycle
eddiec

I once got informed by an attractive young lass riding past me that my
knicks were 'getting a bit see-through'... hmm... embarassment much?
Of course, not being one to bend over in front of the mirror and
check out the wear of my knicks I wasn't aware of that until then, so
quickly went and purchased a few new pairs!

But back on topic, I wonder whether it's just ignorance amongst the
non-cycling community that sparks this. After all, no one would expect
joggers to wear boots or work shoes, because we all know the value in
proper footwear. And while we wouldn't expect someone to slip on the
Nikes for a short walk down to the shops, for a proper walk or jog we
have no issue with it. Once people are aware of the general benefits of
lycra, and that it's not just for looks, they should hopefully shut up
about it.

The rest I guess is jealousy that some of us can get away with wearing
lycra, or perhaps a negative reaction to the cafe ****** crowd with
matching bikes, knicks and jerseys.... And as for picking on flabby ppl
wearing lycra, well, why should they have to cover up and be less
comfortable just for my inability to avoid nitpicking or looking the
other way if it so offends me?? I'd rather see a chubby someone on a
bike and getting fit in lycra, then wearing a cover-all frock in the
car next to me....

--
eddiec

Old November 22nd 06, 10:21 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Bikesoiler

Duracell Bunny Wrote:
snippage
Can't stand baggy shorts though ... can't see why anyone would wear
them for cycling.

On a short commute in warm weather baggy shorts are the go. No need for
knicks & you get a cooling breeze up the leg........

--
Bikesoiler

Old November 22nd 06, 10:35 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Paulie-AU

Lycra on the road.

On the MTB it is whatever is in the top of the draw. If it is a XC
ride I generally grab my N-ZO Cycling shorts (very comfy).

--
Paulie-AU

Old November 22nd 06, 11:15 PM posted to aus.bicycle
adam85

cfsmtb Wrote:
Last evening I spend a good 20 minutes or more "reading" the new Assos
summer catalogue. Only meant to have a quick squiz. ie: that young chap
they're using for modelling the gear is seriously Hot.

Surely you don't mean "AssoMan"(tm) the guy they've been using in assos
ads for ages??? Dressed up in the yellow hood and bodysuit in a really
stupid action pose? He reminds me of Ben Stiller in Zoolander!!!!

I thought the woman they used to use was pretty hot though...

Adam

--
adam85

Motorists and lycra? [email protected] General 24 September 13th 06 01:16 PM
Lycra- does it stretch? Callistus Valerius Techniques 12 May 22nd 06 07:29 PM
Lycra or leather? Ken M General 4 January 27th 06 06:43 AM
Lycra in the Gallery LotteBum Australia 5 November 22nd 05 07:13 AM
Lycra is BAD Mark Thompson UK 24 May 8th 04 08:24 PM