A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Woman, 91, is arrested over car crash that killed three-year-old cyclist

Old August 10th 20, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster

Default Woman, 91, is arrested over car crash that killed three-year-old cyclist

QUOTE:
An elderly woman has been arrested after her car mounted a pavement and killed a three-year-old boy who was walking with his mother.

A red Kia drove onto a pavement on Morningside Road in Edinburgh and crashed into a charity shop front, knocking into Xander Irvine, three, and his mother, Victoria, 37.

Xander and his mother were taken the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh where Victoria made a full recovery but Xander died from his injuries. The 91-year-old driver was not injured and was arrested in connection with the accident. In a statement, released through Police Scotland, Xander's family described him as a 'very happy, bubbly, intelligent little boy who was very dearly loved by his parents Victoria and Paul'.

They said: 'Xander was a real chatterbox who just loved books, playing with all sorts of vehicles and his Lego.

'He really enjoyed life and he enriched the lives of everyone he met.

'Victoria and Paul are devastated and feel as if their hearts have been ripped out.

'Xander will be so very sorely missed by them both and all his family and friends in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

'What will we do without you, Xander?' olice Scotland confirmed the arrest had taken place and reported that the accident happened around 2.30pm on June, 30.

They are sending a full report to the Procurator Fiscal.

Hundreds of locals showed up to the funeral cortege for Xander with many bringing flowers and cards on July, 9.

Tributes were made for the toddler including 400 roses on his hearse as it made its may down the road near the location of the accident. 'Enquiries into the crash are ongoing, a full forensic collision investigation was carried out at the time and officers continue to look at CCTV and dash-cam footage as well as tracing and speaking to witnesses who have come forward.

'I wish to express my sincere thanks to the members of the public who intervened and assisted in the immediate aftermath of this tragic incident and to the police and other Emergency Services who were on the scene.

'Finally, I would like to reiterate my request to respect the privacy of all those involved and allow them to, in some way, come to terms with what has happened.'
ENDS

The dead boy on his bike - killed by a too old driver.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/08...7081299426.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-mother.html
Ads