Use of brakes

Old August 11th 20, 06:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default Use of brakes

On 10/08/2020 22:22, Roger Merriman wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
On 8/9/2020 3:23 PM, AK wrote:
Sheldon is an intelligent man, however...

I have to disagree with Sheldon about using the front brake 90% of the time.

I use both and have never had a "over the handlebar situation."

Andy

I'm happy that you're happy and you should ride as you wish.

The fact remains that, in extremis, front brakes stop and
rear brakes skid.

YMMV

Depends on bike, and where.

In short on road 90% is fine and unless your hard wired not to (as I am) is
the easy option.

Off road you you really need to be shifting your weight about, and only
using the front will give fairly poor braking.

Interesting my commute bike (old MTB) which has panniers and bar bags, even
sat on the saddle will brake from the rear briskly with out tyre slip, as
it’s a heavy lump, and rear bias though I have equalised to a extent.

This is true, my cargo bike is fairly indifferent to front and rear,
either will skid, so on that I use front out of habit, and again, I've
never lifted the rear.

https://www.e-lastenrad.de/media/ima...-xx-xx_F04.jpg

Old August 11th 20, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

AMuzi wrote:
On 8/9/2020 3:23 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

Which also adds (mildly) to the risk if roadies tailgate/draft such I can
out brake roadies by quite a margin, mind you I also tend to just steamroll
though potholes and the like as the bike is un bothered, which tends to
keep all but the most determined away.

Roger Merriman

Old August 12th 20, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

AMuzi wrote:
On 8/9/2020 3:23 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

I also doubt that it's possible to lift the rear of a tandem carrying
two typical riders.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 12th 20, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

AMuzi wrote:
On 8/9/2020 3:23 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

Well, the CDC says that the *average* weight of an American woman, 20
years old or older, is 170.6 pounds... That should be sufficient to
keep the rear wheel on the ground :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.