Road Funding

Old August 10th 20, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

Default Road Funding

We have heard a lot about Road Tax on this group and how cyclists don't pay it even though Winston Churchill abolished the Road Fund Licence in 1936

I propose we introduce a Road Fund based on the fourth power of axle loading as that is the internationally accepted metric for road damage,

This means if a typical 10kg pedal cycle commands £1 per year a typical 1000kg car will command £10million per year.

I have no problem with this but I suspect motorists will.
Old August 10th 20, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 10/08/2020 18:30, Mike Collins wrote:
We have heard a lot about Road Tax on this group and how cyclists don't pay it even though Winston Churchill abolished the Road Fund Licence in 1936

Has anyone ever actually said that cyclists don't pay Road Tax (which
has other names though that is the one in common use)?

After all, some cyclists might pay Road Tax in respect of motor
vehicles. But they don't pay it in respect of bikes, do they?

I propose we introduce a Road Fund based on the fourth power of axle loading as that is the internationally accepted metric for road damage,

This means if a typical 10kg pedal cycle commands £1 per year a typical 1000kg car will command £10million per year.

Bring it up with your MP (when you're old enough to vote).
Old August 10th 20, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Monday, 10 August 2020 18:46:10 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 10/08/2020 18:30, Mike Collins wrote:
We have heard a lot about Road Tax on this group and how cyclists don't pay it even though Winston Churchill abolished the Road Fund Licence in 1936

Has anyone ever actually said that cyclists don't pay Road Tax (which
has other names though that is the one in common use)?

After all, some cyclists might pay Road Tax in respect of motor
vehicles. But they don't pay it in respect of bikes, do they?

I propose we introduce a Road Fund based on the fourth power of axle loading as that is the internationally accepted metric for road damage,

This means if a typical 10kg pedal cycle commands £1 per year a typical 1000kg car will command £10million per year.

Bring it up with your MP (when you're old enough to vote).

Hook, line, sinker, rod and copy of Angling Times.

Old August 10th 20, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Monday, August 10, 2020 at 6:30:34 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
We have heard a lot about Road Tax on this group and how cyclists don't pay it even though Winston Churchill abolished the Road Fund Licence in 1936

I propose we introduce a Road Fund based on the fourth power of axle loading as that is the internationally accepted metric for road damage,

This means if a typical 10kg pedal cycle commands £1 per year a typical 1000kg car will command £10million per year.

I have no problem with this but I suspect motorists will.

What about zero CO2 emitters like electric cars?
Old August 10th 20, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 10/08/2020 19:08, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, August 10, 2020 at 6:30:34 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
We have heard a lot about Road Tax on this group and how cyclists
don't pay it even though Winston Churchill abolished the Road Fund
Licence in 1936

I propose we introduce a Road Fund based on the fourth power of
axle loading as that is the internationally accepted metric for
road damage,

This means if a typical 10kg pedal cycle commands £1 per year a
typical 1000kg car will command £10million per year.

I have no problem with this but I suspect motorists will.

What about zero CO2 emitters like electric cars?

All roads not maintained by the Highways Agency (which cyclists don't
use) are maintained by council tax. Cyclists thus have to contribute to
repairing the potholes they don't make.
Old August 10th 20, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Monday, August 10, 2020 at 7:34:27 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 10/08/2020 19:08, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, August 10, 2020 at 6:30:34 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
We have heard a lot about Road Tax on this group and how cyclists
don't pay it even though Winston Churchill abolished the Road Fund
Licence in 1936

I propose we introduce a Road Fund based on the fourth power of
axle loading as that is the internationally accepted metric for
road damage,

This means if a typical 10kg pedal cycle commands £1 per year a
typical 1000kg car will command £10million per year.

I have no problem with this but I suspect motorists will.

What about zero CO2 emitters like electric cars?

All roads not maintained by the Highways Agency (which cyclists don't
use) are maintained by council tax. Cyclists thus have to contribute to
repairing the potholes they don't make.

Also, as soon as a car driver enters another county, they automatically become a sponging freeloader, subsidised by non driving residents of that county.
Old August 10th 20, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

wrote:
[...]

For the 168 (I think) regions that don't get government funding, the
driver going in the other direction probably balances this out. For
residents of the other 175, well...

Old August 10th 20, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 10/08/2020 19:01, Mike Collins wrote:
On Monday, 10 August 2020 18:46:10 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 10/08/2020 18:30, Mike Collins wrote:
We have heard a lot about Road Tax on this group and how cyclists don't pay it even though Winston Churchill abolished the Road Fund Licence in 1936

Has anyone ever actually said that cyclists don't pay Road Tax (which
has other names though that is the one in common use)?

After all, some cyclists might pay Road Tax in respect of motor
vehicles. But they don't pay it in respect of bikes, do they?

I propose we introduce a Road Fund based on the fourth power of axle loading as that is the internationally accepted metric for road damage,

This means if a typical 10kg pedal cycle commands £1 per year a typical 1000kg car will command £10million per year.

Bring it up with your MP (when you're old enough to vote).

Hook, line, sinker, rod and copy of Angling Times.

Your parents shouldn't have let you get so close to the river's edge.
Especially at your tender age.
Old August 11th 20, 01:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Monday, 10 August 2020 23:58:19 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
[...]

That makes no sense. Can you explain?
Old August 11th 20, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 11/08/2020 01:38, Mike Collins wrote:
[...]

You aren't mature enough to be allowed out close to water.

FUNDING lewis[_2_] General 0 September 9th 08 11:58 AM
funding for your club lbyvik Racing 1 August 23rd 06 03:28 AM
funding for your club lbyvik Unicycling 0 August 22nd 06 08:23 PM
NSW RTA funding cut effects dewatf Australia 0 August 8th 05 07:45 AM
NSW funding slashed? Gemma_k Australia 2 June 6th 05 04:38 AM