Replacement center bolt for brakes

Old June 13th 11, 05:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Stephen Greenwood

Default Replacement center bolt for brakes

I bent the centerbolt on my front brake, a Tektro 521AG dual-pivot
caliper brake. As hardware goes, it is an unusual item: Low head, dual-
diameter and threaded on both diameters, partially unthreaded for a
specific length.

Can anyone recommend possible sources for this part? I did not see any
replacement parts for Tektro brakes in the 2011 QBP catalog, nor did I
find them on bicycle retail sites that often carry such fiddly bits. I
also checked McMaster-Carr. The closest I got was "low head" socket
head screws, but none of them had the other required characteristics.

Thank you,
Stephen Greenwood
Old June 13th 11, 05:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Stephen Greenwood wrote:
I bent the centerbolt on my front brake, a Tektro 521AG dual-pivot
caliper brake. As hardware goes, it is an unusual item: Low head, dual-
diameter and threaded on both diameters, partially unthreaded for a
specific length.

Can anyone recommend possible sources for this part? I did not see any
replacement parts for Tektro brakes in the 2011 QBP catalog, nor did I
find them on bicycle retail sites that often carry such fiddly bits. I
also checked McMaster-Carr. The closest I got was "low head" socket
head screws, but none of them had the other required characteristics.

Thank you,
Stephen Greenwood

Looks like it's available and $4.95
Can't confirm on a Sunday evening. Write me.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old June 13th 11, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Stephen Greenwood

On Jun 12, 10:23*pm, AMuzi wrote:

Looks like it's available and $4.95
Can't confirm on a Sunday evening. Write me.

--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Hi Andrew,

Email sent, and hopefully not trapped by spam filter. I can call your
shop if that's easier.

Best,
Stephen

Old June 13th 11, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Blue Heeler[_2_]

kolldata wrote:

yeah when you discover something in this category, treat it with
reverance maybe stabilize it on a bench magnet: clean and locktite
before assembly. Not that we're recommending mistreating GM
parts .....

forlaughs take it toyour friendly machine shop, ask for a dup[licate

Had to do that recently.

I wanted to fit a set of Campagnolo "skeleton" brakes to my 1990 Miyata
721A, but the mount for the rear brake requires a longer bolt than is
fitted to current model brakes.

A Local engineering works turned a 8mm stainless capscrew down to 6mm
and cut the appropriate thread for $20 - bargain.

Old June 13th 11, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Blue Heeler wrote:
kolldata wrote:

yeah when you discover something in this category, treat it with
reverance maybe stabilize it on a bench magnet: clean and locktite
before assembly. Not that we're recommending mistreating GM
parts .....

forlaughs take it toyour friendly machine shop, ask for a dup[licate

Had to do that recently.

I wanted to fit a set of Campagnolo "skeleton" brakes to my 1990 Miyata
721A, but the mount for the rear brake requires a longer bolt than is
fitted to current model brakes.

A Local engineering works turned a 8mm stainless capscrew down to 6mm
and cut the appropriate thread for $20 - bargain.

The nut for the front brake is often longer. In fact I just built a
bike for a friend, and the Veloce brakes came with several nuts of
different lengths.

--
JS.
Old June 13th 11, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jun 13, 5:51*pm, James wrote:
Blue Heeler wrote:
kolldata wrote:

yeah when you discover something in this category, treat it with
reverance maybe stabilize it on a bench magnet: clean and locktite
before assembly. Not that we're recommending mistreating GM
parts .....

forlaughs take it toyour friendly machine shop, ask for a dup[licate

Had to do that recently.

I wanted to fit a set of Campagnolo "skeleton" brakes to my 1990 Miyata
721A, but the mount for the rear brake requires a longer bolt than is
fitted to current model brakes.

A Local engineering works turned a 8mm stainless capscrew down to 6mm
and cut the appropriate thread for $20 - bargain.

The nut for the front brake is often longer. *In fact I just built a
bike for a friend, and the Veloce brakes came with several nuts of
different lengths.

Nut or bolt?

- Frank Krygowski
Old June 13th 11, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jun 13, 5:51 pm, James wrote:
Blue Heeler wrote:
kolldata wrote:
yeah when you discover something in this category, treat it with
reverance maybe stabilize it on a bench magnet: clean and locktite
before assembly. Not that we're recommending mistreating GM
parts .....
forlaughs take it toyour friendly machine shop, ask for a dup[licate
Had to do that recently.
I wanted to fit a set of Campagnolo "skeleton" brakes to my 1990 Miyata
721A, but the mount for the rear brake requires a longer bolt than is
fitted to current model brakes.
A Local engineering works turned a 8mm stainless capscrew down to 6mm
and cut the appropriate thread for $20 - bargain.

The nut for the front brake is often longer. In fact I just built a
bike for a friend, and the Veloce brakes came with several nuts of
different lengths.

Nut or bolt?

The bit with the thread on the inside.

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage....=%271479-00%27

--
JS.
Old June 14th 11, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jun 13, 6:50*pm, James wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jun 13, 5:51 pm, James wrote:
Blue Heeler wrote:
kolldata wrote:
[...]

Ah. Got it.

- Frank Krygowski
Old June 14th 11, 09:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Blue Heeler[_2_]

James wrote:

Blue Heeler wrote:
kolldata wrote:

yeah when you discover something in this category, treat it with
reverance maybe stabilize it on a bench magnet: clean and locktite
before assembly. Not that we're recommending mistreating GM
parts .....

forlaughs take it toyour friendly machine shop, ask for a
dup[licate

Had to do that recently.

I wanted to fit a set of Campagnolo "skeleton" brakes to my 1990
Miyata 721A, but the mount for the rear brake requires a longer
bolt than is fitted to current model brakes.

A Local engineering works turned a 8mm stainless capscrew down to
6mm and cut the appropriate thread for $20 - bargain.

The nut for the front brake is often longer. In fact I just built a
bike for a friend, and the Veloce brakes came with several nuts of
different lengths.

Recessed nuts for brakes were not universal when the Miyata was made -
the rear brake stay requires the pivot bolt to protrude through the
stay and to be fitted with an external nut and washer, hence the need
for a longer bolt.

Old June 14th 11, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 14, 3:56*am, "Blue Heeler" wrote:
James wrote:
Blue Heeler wrote:
kolldata wrote:

[...]

Use a front on the rear and the rear on the front, with the bolt
inside of the steer tube.