Viable transport

Old October 3rd 13, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

Default Viable transport

THE front wheel of a cyclist's bike came off when he ran over a pothole,
an inquest heard

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Cycli...#axzz2geYwNzBc
Old October 3rd 13, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default Don't forget to make sure the wheels are on properly

"Mrcheerful" wrote

THE front wheel of a cyclist's bike came off when he ran over a pothole,
an inquest heard

Thread title fixed.

Old October 3rd 13, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Benn

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
THE front wheel of a cyclist's bike came off when he ran over a pothole,
an inquest heard

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Cycli...#axzz2geYwNzBc

To be fair, even a bicycle in good condition could have thiis happen if the
pothole was deep enough and the cyclist riding fast enough.

Old October 3rd 13, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 03/10/2013 20:14, John Benn wrote:

"Mrcheerful" wrote:

THE front wheel of a cyclist's bike came off when he ran over a pothole,
an inquest heard

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Cycli...#axzz2geYwNzBc

To be fair, even a bicycle in good condition could have thiis happen if the
pothole was deep enough and the cyclist riding fast enough.

No!

The wheels aren't THAT insecure on a properly-made and
properly-maintained bicycle.
Old October 3rd 13, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 03/10/2013 20:14, John Benn wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
THE front wheel of a cyclist's bike came off when he ran over a pothole,
an inquest heard

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Cycli...#axzz2geYwNzBc

To be fair, even a bicycle in good condition could have thiis happen if the
pothole was deep enough and the cyclist riding fast enough.

One good bump and the wheel falls off? You are confirming that bicycles
are not viable for average roads. How on earth did they manage on the
original cart tracks?
Old October 3rd 13, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Benn

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
On 03/10/2013 20:14, John Benn wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
THE front wheel of a cyclist's bike came off when he ran over a pothole,
an inquest heard

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Cycli...#axzz2geYwNzBc

To be fair, even a bicycle in good condition could have thiis happen if
the
pothole was deep enough and the cyclist riding fast enough.

One good bump and the wheel falls off? You are confirming that bicycles
are not viable for average roads. How on earth did they manage on the
original cart tracks?

Admittedly, after thinking a bit more about it, the wheel is unlikely to
come off unless it was not secured properly.

Old October 3rd 13, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Benn

"Mrcheerful" wrote:

THE front wheel of a cyclist's bike came off when he ran over a pothole,
an inquest heard

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Cycli...#axzz2geYwNzBc

To be fair, even a bicycle in good condition could have thiis happen if
the
pothole was deep enough and the cyclist riding fast enough.

No!

The wheels aren't THAT insecure on a properly-made and properly-maintained
bicycle.

On reflection, I think you are right. Wheel damage is more likely to happen
than the wheel coming off. With many cycles having quick release wheels, I
don't think an annual mandatory mechanical inspection would be able to do
much about this kind of thing. Not that I am against mandatory inspections.
I think they should apply to bicycles as well as motorised transport.

Old October 4th 13, 01:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

"John Benn" wrote in message ...

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
On 03/10/2013 20:14, John Benn wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
THE front wheel of a cyclist's bike came off when he ran over a pothole,
an inquest heard

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Cycli...#axzz2geYwNzBc

To be fair, even a bicycle in good condition could have thiis happen if
the
pothole was deep enough and the cyclist riding fast enough.

One good bump and the wheel falls off? You are confirming that bicycles
are not viable for average roads. How on earth did they manage on the
original cart tracks?

Admittedly, after thinking a bit more about it, the wheel is unlikely to
come off unless it was not secured properly.

Perhaps a good case for a compulsory periodic test.
I know, we could call it the MOT Test?

Old October 4th 13, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 20:14:33 +0100, John Benn wrote:

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
THE front wheel of a cyclist's bike came off when he ran over a
pothole,
an inquest heard

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Cycli...iding-pothole/

story-19881359-detail/story.html#axzz2geYwNzBc

To be fair, even a bicycle in good condition could have thiis happen if
the pothole was deep enough and the cyclist riding fast enough.

But should not the bicyclist be looking where s/he is going, and always
be able to stop or swerve before hitting something or falling into
something?
Old October 4th 13, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 21:29:02 +0100, John Benn wrote:

Not that I am against mandatory inspections.

Nor am I, though I think annual is not often enough.
I continually check my bike for faults, defects, things needing
adjusting or coming loose etc.

Viable form of transport Partac[_10_] UK 30 August 1st 13 09:55 AM
Viable transport? Mrcheerful[_3_] UK 1 July 11th 13 01:04 PM
Non-viable transport news [email protected] UK 131 July 5th 13 02:35 PM
Viable transport Mrcheerful[_3_] UK 4 December 4th 12 08:07 PM
Not a viable means of transport Tony Raven[_3_] UK 21 October 11th 10 08:37 AM