"games lanes"

Old March 7th 06, 09:38 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default "games lanes"

*insert grumble*

Last week or so in the last stretch of my commute to Nth Melbourne I've
noticed some lane marking on Queensberry St - That road already has a
good on-road bike lane its entire length so it made me wonder what they
were up to...

Today I found out, all decked out in shimmering blue lines and with
drivers not knowing what the hell to do with it - Yes, they've split
what was a single lane road with nice wide cycle lane into a dual lane
road with the right lane for the exclusive use of Commonwealth games.
In doing so they've obliterated the cycle lane and crammed all the
remaining traffic into a narrow left lane... This is going to be
interesting...

And here I was thinking that by cycling I'd avoid any Games traffic
hassles... Still, I guess it's only the last couple of kms...

Worth checking this:
http://www1.dvc.vic.gov.au/ocgc/traf...eds.html#lanes

It looks like they're doing it to St Kilda Rd and a few others as
well...

*grumble bloody sport grumble grumble*

--
eddiec

Old March 8th 06, 01:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 08:38:11 +1100, eddiec wrote:

Today I found out, all decked out in shimmering blue lines and with
drivers not knowing what the hell to do with it - Yes, they've split
what was a single lane road with nice wide cycle lane into a dual lane
road with the right lane for the exclusive use of Commonwealth games.

Ride down the middle of that one. If anyone complains, tell them you're
doing some last-minute training incognito.

Old March 8th 06, 01:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Michael Warner Wrote:

e right lane for the exclusive use of Commonwealth games.

Ride down the middle of that one. If anyone complains, tell them
you're
doing some last-minute training incognito.

--
Home page: http://members.westnet.com.au/mvw[/color]

bahahah

spotted the 'Isle of Man' team rolling along Elizabeth St the other
day. must be abit different to what they're used to!

--
flyingdutch

Old March 8th 06, 02:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle

In my red/white gear, I reckon I could pass for Canada.......
(training on a 16yr old single spd MTB)....

--
Marx SS

Old March 8th 06, 06:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle

PiledHigher wrote:
The whinging is happening on the age website if you want to suggest
cycling. A few already have.

From http://www1.dvc.vic.gov.au/ocgc/envi...nitiatives.htm

"TravelSmart programs within CBD businesses and communities close to key
Games venues will be conducted to encourage walking, cycling and public
transport in the lead up to, during and the beyond the Games. The
programs will target over 20,000 employees and households."

Flames to =
Old March 8th 06, 06:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle

From http://www1.dvc.vic.gov.au/ocgc/envi...nitiatives.htm

"TravelSmart programs within CBD businesses and communities close to
key
Games venues will be conducted to encourage walking, cycling and
public
transport in the lead up to, during and the beyond the Games. The
programs will target over 20,000 employees and households."

Flames to =

TravelSmart?! These are the mongrels who got me evicted from our old
office in Richmond coz they were willing to pay monster rents to a
desparate church! grr... another reason to flame them.... Let me know
if you want to flame them personally - I know where they live

Seriously though, if they're willing to encourage cycling, fantabulous
- I just don't think encroaching an a cycle lane in the interest of
athelete/officials convenience is terribly 'encouraging'...

--
eddiec