Four years jail...

Old February 29th 08, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling
TOG@Toil

Default Four years jail...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/7270751.stm

I can understand what she did was daft, but then the cyclist went
through a red light, as so many seem wont to do. Six of one and half
a dozen of the other, surely?
Old February 29th 08, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling
Hog

TOG@Toil wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/7270751.stm

I can understand what she did was daft, but then the cyclist went
through a red light, as so many seem wont to do. Six of one and half
a dozen of the other, surely?

Out ****ing rageous.
I don't GAF she was using her phone and the speed wasn't over the top.
The **** got what he was looking for.

--
Hog
'03 ST4S '96 *******12 '89 R100RS '81 XS650 '78 RD400

Old February 29th 08, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On 29 Feb, 17:15, "TOG@Toil" wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/7270751.stm

I can understand what she did was daft, but then the cyclist went
through a red light, as so many seem wont to do. Six of one and half
a dozen of the other, surely?

Sure, but are you prepared to carry out the death sentence on her? Six
of one ...
Old February 29th 08, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling

On Feb 29, 5:15 pm, "TOG@Toil" wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/7270751.stm

I can understand what she did was daft, but then the cyclist went
through a red light, as so many seem wont to do. Six of one and half
a dozen of the other, surely?

Are you arguing that she should be killed as well? That seems
excessive to me.

best wishes
james
Old February 29th 08, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:29:22 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Feb 29, 5:15 pm, "TOG@Toil" wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/7270751.stm

I can understand what she did was daft, but then the cyclist went
through a red light, as so many seem wont to do. Six of one and half
a dozen of the other, surely?

Are you arguing that she should be killed as well? That seems
excessive to me.

But an understandable feeling of revenge under the circumstances.
Old February 29th 08, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling
Pete Fisher

In communiqué , Hog
cast forth these pearls of wisdom
TOG@Toil wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/7270751.stm

I can understand what she did was daft, but then the cyclist went
through a red light, as so many seem wont to do. Six of one and half
a dozen of the other, surely?

Out ****ing rageous.
I don't GAF she was using her phone and the speed wasn't over the top.
The **** got what he was looking for.

Neither expected the unexpected. "Through a red light", is a bit lacking
in detail no? Cyclists seem to routinely do it round here when turning
left at lights. The sentence does seem OTT, but I would be interested to
hear more of the evidence from eye witnesses. Was he turning left, and
she hit him more as a result of veering whilst texting than by his
manoeuvre?

| Pete Fisher at Home: |
| Voxan Roadster Gilera Nordwest * 2 Yamaha WR250Z |
| Gilera GFR * 2 Moto Morini 2C/375 Morini 350 "Forgotten Error" |
Old February 29th 08, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling
AW

"TOG@Toil" wrote:

I can understand what she did was daft, but then the cyclist went
through a red light, as so many seem wont to do. *Six of one and half
a dozen of the other, surely?

Indeed. There is a basic presumption that the cyclist is innocent in
most road cases. Other half knocked a chap off his cycle a year or
two back - she had parked up in a side street, in a marked bay, looked
in her mirror and then started to open the door, Cyclist chappie
coming up fast and too close to the parked cars hit the opening door
and in the process *bent the door frame*, which would indicate he was
moving some. But she was held 100% responsible by the insurers.
Old February 29th 08, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling
Pete

AW wrote:
"TOG@Toil" wrote:

I can understand what she did was daft, but then the cyclist went
through a red light, as so many seem wont to do. Six of one and half
a dozen of the other, surely?

Indeed. There is a basic presumption that the cyclist is innocent in
most road cases. Other half knocked a chap off his cycle a year or
two back - she had parked up in a side street, in a marked bay, looked
in her mirror and then started to open the door, Cyclist chappie
coming up fast and too close to the parked cars hit the opening door
and in the process *bent the door frame*, which would indicate he was
moving some. But she was held 100% responsible by the insurers.

Highway code rule 239 says, among other things :

you MUST ensure you do not hit anyone when you open your door. Check for
cyclists or other traffic.

Hence the 100% responsibility.

Pete
Old February 29th 08, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On 29 Feb, 18:03, AW wrote:
"TOG@Toil" wrote:

I can understand what she did was daft, but then the cyclist went
through a red light, as so many seem wont to do. Six of one and half
a dozen of the other, surely?

Indeed. There is a basic presumption that the cyclist is innocent in
most road cases. Other half knocked a chap off his cycle a year or
two back - she had parked up in a side street, in a marked bay, looked
in her mirror and then started to open the door, Cyclist chappie
coming up fast and too close to the parked cars hit the opening door
and in the process *bent the door frame*, which would indicate he was
moving some. But she was held 100% responsible by the insurers.

She looked in the mirror and still didn't see him?
He was going too fast? What speed would that be?
Too close to the parked cars? In a side street? How far away can you
get?
"Bent the door frame". If you hit the door nearer the outer edge, you
probably put quite a bit of leverage on the frame.

Based on my similar experience, as a cyclist.
Old February 29th 08, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"AW" wrote in message
"TOG@Toil" wrote:

Indeed. There is a basic presumption that the cyclist is innocent in
most road cases. Other half knocked a chap off his cycle a year or
two back - she had parked up in a side street, in a marked bay, looked
in her mirror and then started to open the door, Cyclist chappie
coming up fast and too close to the parked cars hit the opening door
and in the process *bent the door frame*, which would indicate he was
moving some. But she was held 100% responsible by the insurers.

Perfectly correct. "Looked in her mirror" - except apparently not terribly
carefully.
SMIDSY doesn't cut it whether there's an engine on the bike or not.

Nashbar Jail Brakes Sean M. Cunningham Techniques 8 February 11th 05 03:40 AM
RR: Frankie goes to jail Jimbo(san) Mountain Biking 31 January 6th 05 03:27 AM
Jail Time For Dopers B. Lafferty Racing 0 October 1st 04 03:03 PM
unicyclist in jail leo Unicycling 8 August 10th 04 02:30 AM
American crash cyclist gets 20 years in jail. Howard UK 23 November 25th 03 03:06 PM