They jump red lights for their own safety, then want compo !!

Old November 28th 16, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
tim...

Default They jump red lights for their own safety, then want compo !!

"Judith" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 09:11:02 +0000, MrCheerful
wrote:

http://www.pendletoday.co.uk/news/cy...t-it-1-8256230

Has the cyclist been prosecuted yet?

Going through a red light.
Lying to the police (is that actually an offence? - I don't know)

Leaving the scene of accident where a person is injured is an offence, it's
irrelevant that you think the other person caused the incident

Old November 28th 16, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Monday, November 28, 2016 at 9:11:06 AM UTC, MrCheerful wrote:
http://www.pendletoday.co.uk/news/cy...t-it-1-8256230

Yet another sad lonely troll looking for attention.
'There was no suggestion of the cyclist jumping the red light for safety or looking for compensation'
Isn't that the response you were looking for?

Old November 28th 16, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson Sword

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 10:52:30 -0000, JNugent wrote:

On 28/11/2016 09:11, MrCheerful wrote:

http://www.pendletoday.co.uk/news/cy...t-it-1-8256230

The driver was foolish for representing himself.

He was convicted of failing to report a traffic accident (to the police)
and was then banned under the totting-up procedure.

But reporting is only compulsory in certain sets of specific
circumstances, one of which is that an injury has been caused. And if
the cyclist (who was completely at fault) said to the driver that he was
not injured and just wanted to go home), how was any third party
supposed to know differently - at the time?

A good advocate could have secured a "no case to answer" at that hearing.

I've been in two accidents I can think of where nobody reported anything to police or insurance companies. Me and the other driver agreed I wasn't at fault, then we drove off. In one case, the van behind me bounced off my spare tyre and no damage was caused to anything, in the other case, the car behind was compressed at the front, but no damage to mine. Her fault, no point in me claiming off her as no damage, and she didn't want to lose her no claims bonus and just bought parts to fix it herself.

--
Circumvent (n.), an opening in the front of boxer shorts worn by Jewish men.
Old November 28th 16, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
James Wilkinson Sword

wrote:

http://www.pendletoday.co.uk/news/cy...t-it-1-8256230

Has the cyclist been prosecuted yet?

Going through a red light.
Lying to the police (is that actually an offence? - I don't know)

Leaving the scene of accident where a person is injured is an offence, it's
irrelevant that you think the other person caused the incident

Since when was it compulsory to help someone? If I see someone fall off a cliff, I don't have to report it.

--
A Muslim told me he had the Koran on DVD.
He got really upset when I asked him to burn me a copy.
Old November 28th 16, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
MrCheerful

wrote:

http://www.pendletoday.co.uk/news/cy...t-it-1-8256230

Has the cyclist been prosecuted yet?

Going through a red light.
Lying to the police (is that actually an offence? - I don't know)

Leaving the scene of accident where a person is injured is an offence,
it's irrelevant that you think the other person caused the incident

you should read the article, the cyclist said he was uninjured.

Leaving the scene of an accident (even where someone is injured), is not
an offence, you are plain wrong.
Old November 28th 16, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 17:05:26 -0000, Judith
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 09:36:07 +0000, Bod wrote:

On 28/11/2016 09:11, MrCheerful wrote:
http://www.pendletoday.co.uk/news/cy...t-it-1-8256230

Drivers are very naughty as well:

Driver 'using THREE mobile phones behind the wheel' near Elephant and
Castle.

Relevance to the thread - and even the newsgroup:

No relevance at all.

Going back to the original article - so it's now illegal not to report a
crime committed by someone else?

If you drive you really should know the law.

Highway code

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/breakdowns-and-incidents-274-to-287
++++++
Rule 286
If you are involved in a collision which causes damage or injury to any
other person, vehicle, animal or property, you MUST

stop
give your own and the vehicle owner’s name and address, and the
registration number of the vehicle, to anyone having reasonable grounds
for requiring them
if you do not give your name and address at the time of the collision,
report it to the police as soon as reasonably practicable, and in any
case within 24 hours.
+++++++

---

Old November 28th 16, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson Sword

wrote:

[...]

If the other person cause the accident, it's their problem. If they broke my car, I'll get their details so I can claim off them. There is no need for them to have my details, as the person at fault cannot claim off the person who is not at fault.

--
A lady says to her doctor: "My husband has a habit of talking in his sleep! What should I give him to cure it?"
The doctor replies: "Give him the opportunity to speak while he's awake!"
Old November 28th 16, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
tim...

news

wrote:

http://www.pendletoday.co.uk/news/cy...t-it-1-8256230

Has the cyclist been prosecuted yet?

Going through a red light.
Lying to the police (is that actually an offence? - I don't know)

Leaving the scene of accident where a person is injured is an offence,
it's
irrelevant that you think the other person caused the incident

Since when was it compulsory to help someone? If I see someone fall off a
cliff, I don't have to report it.

OK OK, I should have said

Leaving the scene of an automobile accident which involved you ...

But I rather took that as read as it was implicit in the article

tim

Old November 28th 16, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
tim...

"MrCheerful" wrote in message
news

wrote:

http://www.pendletoday.co.uk/news/cy...t-it-1-8256230

Has the cyclist been prosecuted yet?

Going through a red light.
Lying to the police (is that actually an offence? - I don't know)

Leaving the scene of accident where a person is injured is an offence,
it's irrelevant that you think the other person caused the incident

you should read the article, the cyclist said he was uninjured.

I did

that seems to be the hole in the law that caught out the driver

tim

Old November 28th 16, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
MrCheerful

wrote:

http://www.pendletoday.co.uk/news/cy...t-it-1-8256230

Has the cyclist been prosecuted yet?

Going through a red light.
Lying to the police (is that actually an offence? - I don't know)

Leaving the scene of accident where a person is injured is an
offence, it's
irrelevant that you think the other person caused the incident

Since when was it compulsory to help someone? If I see someone fall
off a cliff, I don't have to report it.

OK OK, I should have said

Leaving the scene of an automobile accident which involved you ...

But I rather took that as read as it was implicit in the article

tim

No, leaving the scene is quite ok.