drilling out a Suzue hub?

Old October 15th 03, 04:00 AM
Sofa

Default drilling out a Suzue hub?

This question is for the same rider I mentioned in the 'cutting new
threads on a hub' I don't know if he got around to getting it fixed
yet, but this rider, as luck would have it, has a machine shop at
school. we are now not talking about his cheap-o hub, but the Suzue
that he ruined in less than a week.

He brought it in to have cranks put on, as he bent the stock steel ones
pretty much immediately.

I have no idea what transpired in the time between then and I saw him
next, but the end of the spindle with the last of the threads has been
chipped, or broken off.

He is now ready to get a new one, but seeing as this hub is crap now
anyways, he is planning on taking it to the machine shop to drill in a
hole to replace the retaining nut with a retaining bolt.

Any advice for this endeavour?

It also leads me to ask...is there a reason why unicycles use retaining
nuts, where bikes all use retaining bolts?

--
Sofa - King of TUni

'You're perfect Sofa!' - Scott (via 'Michael Moore'
(http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html) parser )
Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old October 15th 03, 06:34 AM
john_childs

Sofa wrote:
*It also leads me to ask...is there a reason why unicycles use
retaining nuts, where bikes all use retaining bolts? *

I've wondered the same thing. See this thread 'hub issue (no nuts)'
(http://tinyurl.com/qz9s)

If we want internal threads the best option is the Qu-Ax hubs that Roger
Davies mentioned in the thread. When is Unicycle.com going to have them
here in the U.S.?
*
Any advice for this endeavour?
*

The metal used in the Suzue hub is too hardened to machine. Again see
this thread 'hub issue (no nuts)' (http://tinyurl.com/qz9s)

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old October 15th 03, 03:27 PM
peculiar

I guess nuts are used on unicycle axle instead of bolts, is because a
hole drilled into the axle for the bolt will weaken the axle strength
tremendously. The hollow out axles near the ends will tend to snap
easily due to frequent hops, jumps and whatever, thus nuts are used so
as to maintain the strength of the axle.

For bicycles, the axle where cranks are attached, is not subjected to
much stress, because most of the forces are being concentrated at the
wheel axis, so thats why axis at the bicycle wheels are attached to the
frame using nuts instead of bolts as well.

Hope my explaination here is correct..

And apologies for my poor language..

--
peculiar - muni newbie
peculiar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4290

Old October 16th 03, 01:27 AM
carjug

I agree with Peculiar. I have a suzue hub on my Pashley and a cheap crap
import hub on my Coker, and I the crap hub is the one drilled for bolts.
I bet this weakens the hub. I wouldn't waste time playing with the
thing, solve this problem the old fashioned way, throw someone else's
money at it. carjug

--
carjug
carjug's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1228

Old October 16th 03, 09:14 AM
john_childs

carjug wrote:
*I agree with Peculiar. I have a suzue hub on my Pashley and a cheap
crap import hub on my Coker, and I the crap hub is the one drilled for
bolts. I bet this weakens the hub. I wouldn't waste time playing with
the thing, solve this problem the old fashioned way, throw someone
else's money at it. carjug *

The metal in the central portion of the hub spindle (axle) is not
important to the strength of the hub. The majority of the forces on a
hub are focused on the outside perimeter of the spindle. The center of
the spindle (axle) is just "there" and not contributing much in terms of
strength. I'd have to start talking like an engineer to explain why,
but that's the way the forces are. Hollowing it out doesn't affect it
much. And besides, you're filling that hollow area with a solid bolt.

The strength of standard hubs is most determined by the steel used, the
machining processes, the hardening process, the engineering design (are
there stress risers?), the quality of the machining, etc., etc., etc.,
... There are lots of variables. You cannot compare a Suzue hub to an
import hub on a Coker and draw any conclusions about whether or not the
one drilled for a bolt is stronger or weaker than the other.

I'm eager for the internally threaded hubs (the hubs with a bolt). They
have the potential to be better than current standard cotterless hubs.
It will depend on the design, engineering, machining, material, etc.,
etc., etc., ... But I'm hopeful they'll be good and better than the
Suzue.

Old October 16th 03, 10:42 AM
joemarshall

peculiar wrote:
*I guess nuts are used on unicycle axle instead of bolts, is because a
hole drilled into the axle for the bolt will weaken the axle strength
tremendously. The hollow out axles near the ends will tend to snap
easily due to frequent hops, jumps and whatever, thus nuts are used so
as to maintain the strength of the axle.

For bicycles, the axle where cranks are attached, is not subjected to
much stress, because most of the forces are being concentrated at the
wheel axis, so thats why axis at the bicycle wheels are attached to
the frame using nuts instead of bolts as well.
*

I was told it's because it's cheaper to not have to do any internal
machining on the hub.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde