Approaching Milestone for ARBR

Old August 23rd 05, 02:53 AM
Johnny ReBike

Default Approaching Milestone for ARBR

On 21-Aug-2005, "Edward Doofus" wrote:

Indiana Mike is as free as he ever was to post as many on-topic messages
as
his little heart desires. Unlike Johnny Rebike (Ed Gin), I NEVER interfere

with such messages.

Poor Indiana Mike does not have a clue about anything respecting this
group.
It was Johnny Rebike (Ed Gin) who destroyed this group. Don't believe me?
Go
back and have another look at the Google statistics for this group and you

will immediately see where the big drop off occurred. It was in March of
this year after Ed Gin completely destroyed this group with his forgeries,

his Monkey Island crapola and his overall criminal behavior.

Eddie boy,

Johnny ReBike is not Ed Gin. Only a doofus would think that.

--
Johnny ReBike
ReBike - Slowest Bike in the Known Universe

Old August 23rd 05, 04:32 AM
HHS

"Jeff Grippe" jeff@door7 wrote in message

"HHS" wrote in message

Ed is right.

I too am weary of those who love to unremittingly spew acronyms and
jargon at the populace. I find these people monotonous and uninteresting
and communication suffers
because of them. From my experience they can usually be found working in
the lower levels of government or schools.

And no, I don't know what the letters ADHD might stand for - nor is it
important enough for me to bother looking it up.

Ed isn't the only one who feels this way.

Then don't look it up if you feel that way. You must realize that some
acronyms become part of the language. Some are passing and some aren't.
Somehow I don't imagine that you object to people who use FBI, CIA, DEA,
USA, NYPD, or any of many that you happen to be familiar with. You would
consider it strange if they didn't use the acronym because the acronym has
become part of the general language. For that matter LOL, ROTFL and many
other internet acronyms are also accepted without resistance. If I say
ISP, AOL, DSL, ISDN, etc. I don't get accused of being uninteresting.

Yeah that's fine. Mentioning FBI, USA, and CIA isn't exactly what I would
call unremittant spewing of acronyms and jargon. And yes, I know AOL stands
for America On Line. But truth be known I don't know what the acronyms DSL
(Direct Service Line?) and ISDN stand for. Would you tell me if I asked?

So you are not familiar with ADD and ADHD but many people are. It has made
the cover of many national magazines, been reported extensively on network
and cable television news, and is generally pretty well known. It really
doesn't qualify as jargon at this point. It is merely something that you
haven't been exposed to and don't understand. All of this started because
of a joke that was made in which it was suggested that Ed suffered from
ADHD. If you want to get the joke then you are going to have to look it
up. Based on the number of hits you will get I think you will find that it
is hardly obscure.

ADD I suspect is Attention Deficit Disorder, but I don't know what ADHD
stands for. I suppose I should pay more attention to magazine covers.
Could it possibly be a disorder that people who constantly make up new
acronyms might suffer from? That would be my hope.

snip Not everything that you
don't understand is jargon, however, some of it is just things with which
you are unfamiliar.

Can you give me an example?

Old August 23rd 05, 04:32 AM
Edward Dolan

"HHS" wrote in message

Ed is right.

I too am weary of those who love to unremittingly spew acronyms and
jargon at the populace. I find these people monotonous and uninteresting
and communication suffers
because of them. From my experience they can usually be found working in
the lower levels of government or schools.

And no, I don't know what the letters ADHD might stand for - nor is it
important enough for me to bother looking it up.

Ed isn't the only one who feels this way.

Then don't look it up if you feel that way.

I sure as hell won't look up anything that is not in common usage. It is
presumptuous and arrogant of others to not spell things out.

You must realize that some
acronyms become part of the language.

Some few do, but most don't. It is only the bamboozlers who pretend to know
more than they actually do that resort to initials and acronyms. Is the
hallmark of the ignorant.

Some are passing and some aren't.
Somehow I don't imagine that you object to people who use FBI, CIA, DEA,
USA, NYPD, or any of many that you happen to be familiar with. You would
consider it strange if they didn't use the acronym because the acronym has
become part of the general language.

Those you list above are in the common language of every American. They may
or may not be in the common language of non-Americans. You presume too much.
Still, I do like to read the full version of what initials and acronyms
stand for every now and then. The New York Police Department instead of
NYPD. Yes!

For that matter LOL, ROTFL and many
other internet acronyms are also accepted without resistance. If I say
ISP, AOL, DSL, ISDN, etc. I don't get accused of being uninteresting.

All of the above could be spelled out. It is annoying and irritating to be
confronted with this idiotic jargon. Frankly, I am fed up with it. Computer
nerds are the lowest scum there is. Screw them!

So you are not familiar with ADD and ADHD but many people are. It has made
the cover of many national magazines, been reported extensively on network
and cable television news, and is generally pretty well known. It really
doesn't qualify as jargon at this point. It is merely something that you
haven't been exposed to and don't understand. All of this started because
of a joke that was made in which it was suggested that Ed suffered from
ADHD. If you want to get the joke then you are going to have to look it
up. Based on the number of hits you will get I think you will find that it
is hardly obscure.

I will not look up crap like this. I asked what it meant and all I get are
know it all comments from idiots like you. Write it out if you want to be
understood.

Jargon and "shop talk" have their place and there are places where they
clearly don't belong including most newsgroups. Not everything that you
don't understand is jargon, however, some of it is just things with which
you are unfamiliar.

I do think it is appropriate to use some recumbent shortcuts on this group
since it is a recumbent newsgroup. But never assume that others will know
what you are talking about when you get into other types of jargon and using
initials and acronyms which have nothing to do with recumbents.

I was taught in school to use the King's English. I have read thousands of
books that also use the King's English. Damn it all to Hell, I am not going
to bother with those who do not use the King's English!

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old August 23rd 05, 04:38 AM
Edward Dolan

"Johnny ReBike" wrote in message

[...]

Your style is as unmistakable as is the content of your posts. You can no
more camouflage your posts than I can. We both have inimitable styles which
give us away. I hope we can be civil to one another and not repeat the last
episode.

Old August 23rd 05, 10:00 AM
Edward Dolan

"Johnny ReBike" wrote in message
On 30-Jul-2005, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

For as long as I have been a member of ARBR, a certain Mr. Tom Sherman
has

always been the most prolific poster. That is about to change very
shortly,
unless he returns and resumes his one liner posts. Yours truly, Ed Dolan
the
Great, is soon to overtake Tom Sherman and become the all time champion
poster to ARBR.

Here is the relevant information for those of you who are interested in
such
esoterica:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...nt/about?hl=en

Moreover, my posts are not one liners without any content to them which
was
often the case with Tom Sherman's posts. I never tried for this record
though. It just sort of happened due to all the wrangles I get into with
everyone here on ARBR.

When the big day arrives that I surpass Tom Sherman as the most prolific
poster, I will call everyone's attention to it. These are the sort of
things
that I am good at. I am expecting that congratulations will be in order
from
all and sundry.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Yo Eddie D.,

If you stopped your self obsession for a minute, you would realize that
the
astute Mr. Sherman posted many messages prior to 2001 before he moved to
the
Quad Cities and started using the "qconline.com" email address.

It appears that Ed Gin (Johnny ReBike) is right about this. A cursory look
at posts prior to 2001 reveals that the damnable Tom Sherman was posting his
usual nonsense way back when. But I will go with the Google statistic on
this for a single email address. In the final analysis only the Google
statistic will matter. Sherman should have stayed put with a single email
address. I am now only about 25 posts from becoming the champion. Stay
tuned.

Old August 23rd 05, 11:12 AM
Jeff Grippe

"HHS" wrote in message

Can you give me an example?

You provided the examples yourself. DSL is Digital Subscriber Line or
Digital Service Line. It doesn't matter. You know that DSL = High Speed
Internet without having to know the exact details of what the acronym stands
for. My point was that it has become commonly understood and is no longer in
the category of jargon. If I said "digital subscriber line" without
capitalization you might not understand me but you know that DSL = high
speed internet.

The H in ADHD is for hyperactivity. The rest of the acronym you appear to
understand. ADD and ADHD are used together. There are more similarities than
differences. ADHD is becoming more used than ADD. ADD was the "technical
term" that replaced the older "Hyperactive". For most non-medical purposes
the two can be used interchangeably.

I have no problem explaining acronyms that you don't understand unless, like
our friend Ed, you post a message that says "I'm not going to ask and I'm
not going to look it up". That amounts to pride in ignorance.

As for other examples, it really is impossible for me to know what you don't
know but there are gaps in everyone's knowledge including mine. It happens
all the time that someone shows me the simplest thing that I end up being
surprised I didn't already know. I am often amazed but never do I claim that
if I don't already know it, it isn't worth knowing.

Jeff

Old August 23rd 05, 11:18 AM
Jeff Grippe

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

I will not look up crap like this. I asked what it meant and all I get are
know it all comments from idiots like you. Write it out if you want to be
understood.

No Ed, you didn't ask. If you had asked, I would have answered. You are far
to arrogant to ask. Instead you got confrontational and flat out refused to
ask. But why am I telling you this. You know who you are and what you did.
Remember when they called Kerry a "flip flopper"? If he was one then it must
be a skill he learned from you as you are clearly the living master of the
art.

Old August 23rd 05, 12:23 PM
HHS

"HHS" wrote in message

[...]

I looked up DSL. To better understand it one would also need to know ISDN,
DSLAM, DBS, DMT, DWNT, DNS, DWMT, G.dmt, and G.lite along with a seemingly
endless stream of other acronyms and what they stand for.

So I leave all that with you and the others. If I must learn them I'm
confident I will when that day comes, but until then I intend to go on in my
own blissful, willful, arrogant acronym unknowledge.

Happy Trails.

Old August 24th 05, 12:39 AM
Jeff Grippe

"HHS" wrote in message

I looked up DSL. To better understand it one would also need to know
ISDN, DSLAM, DBS, DMT, DWNT, DNS, DWMT, G.dmt, and G.lite along with a
seemingly endless stream of other acronyms and what they stand for.

So I leave all that with you and the others. If I must learn them I'm
confident I will when that day comes, but until then I intend to go on in
my own blissful, willful, arrogant acronym unknowledge.

It isn't important to understand the long list of acronyms that you
supplied. The important point is DSL = high speed internet. This is all that
the telephone companies who sell it need for you to understand. The acronym
has become a thing that doesn't require technical knowledge to be useful.

Likewise if you are a parent of a young child today, you don't have to
understand ADD/ADHD at a technical level to have a working knowledge of what
is involved. It is a subject that will come up and as a parent you will be
exposed to it over and over. All you need to understand at a basic level is
ADD/ADHD = learning problem or behavior problem. That is the core of what is
funny about applying it to Ed as a joke.

Jeff

Old August 24th 05, 02:18 AM

Edward Dolan wrote:

Perry knows what is going on here even if you don't. I REFUSE to look up
anything. It comes from my professional training as a college librarian.

Are you sure you had "professional training as a college librarian"?
From what cereal box did you get your degree?

No wonder you didn't have a career as a librarian! You obviously
missed the reason for libraries!

LIBRARIES ARE WHERE YOU GO TO LOOK THINGS UP!

Enjoy,

Perry B

New milestone: metric century rubic Unicycling 16 September 21st 08 10:26 PM
approaching horses sean UK 31 January 24th 05 09:37 AM
OT you know Christmas is approaching when; MartinM UK 9 November 26th 04 05:49 PM
Milestone Mandell Unicycling 4 August 23rd 03 09:02 AM