Hub Mounted Topping Off Pump

Old March 5th 07, 12:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bret Cahill

Default Hub Mounted Topping Off Pump

I'm not sure how this could be done -- maybe a small liquid ring pump
-- but the bike pump needs to be in the hub with a 1 mm diameter line
connected to the valve stem.

There should be no rolling resistance from the pump as long as the
tire is properly inflated but once the pressure drops the hub pump
kicks on and slowly brings the pressure back up. Once the tire is
properly inflated the pump disables and no longer saps power from the
wheel.

A manual over ride would allow the pump to be turned on only at
certain times, i. e., during braking or going downhill.

This wouldn't work if you hit a mesquite or palm thorn -- the pump
needs to be small and light and will have a low volumetric flow rate
-- but it should eliminate 80% of the other flats which tend to be
slow leaks.

Bret Cahill

Old March 5th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article . com,
"Bret Cahill" wrote:

This wouldn't work if you hit a mesquite or palm thorn -- the pump
needs to be small and light and will have a low volumetric flow rate
-- but it should eliminate 80% of the other flats which tend to be
slow leaks.

You must get a lot of slow leaks. The majority of my flats result in
fairly rapid air loss- within a few minutes if not almost immediately.
Old March 5th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 04:57:39 -0800, Bret Cahill wrote:

I'm not sure how this could be done -- maybe a small liquid ring pump --
but the bike pump needs to be in the hub with a 1 mm diameter line
connected to the valve stem.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/interbike02.html

Scroll down to "IRC Self Pumping Hub."
Old March 6th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bret Cahill

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/interbike02.html

Scroll down to "IRC Self Pumping Hub."

They need to get it into bike shops.

NOW.

Bret Cahill

Old March 6th 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bret Cahill

You must get a lot of slow leaks. *The majority of my flats result in
fairly rapid air loss- within a few minutes if not almost immediately.

Well it might put out enough to reinflate every few minutes,
especially if it is a small tire.

Broken bottles, etc. won't give you a few minutes

Bret Cahill

Old March 6th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JeffWills

On Mar 5, 7:17 am, Gary Young wrote:
On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 04:57:39 -0800, Bret Cahill wrote:
I'm not sure how this could be done -- maybe a small liquid ring pump --
but the bike pump needs to be in the hub with a 1 mm diameter line
connected to the valve stem.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/interbike02.html

Scroll down to "IRC Self Pumping Hub."

I have a picture of a "Skinner Automatic Pump" exactly as described.
It's dated 1900.

Jeff

Old March 8th 07, 01:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bret Cahill

This wouldn't work if you hit a mesquite or palm thorn -- the pump
needs to be small and light and will have a low volumetric flow rate
-- but it should eliminate 80% of the other flats which tend to be
slow leaks.

You must get a lot of slow leaks. *The majority of my flats result in
fairly rapid air loss- within a few minutes if not almost immediately.

The goal is to make cycling more people friendly. It's for the
people who buy a bicycle, get a flat and park it in the garage and the
bad experience discourages them from ever riding again.

The people here might not be representative of the larger population.

Bret Cahill

Old March 8th 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

"Bret Cahill" wrote in message
ups.com...

You must get a lot of slow leaks. The majority of my flats result in
fairly rapid air loss- within a few minutes if not almost immediately.

The goal is to make cycling more people friendly. It's for the
people who buy a bicycle, get a flat and park it in the garage and the
bad experience discourages them from ever riding again.

If people get discouraged from a flat they should not take up bicycling. If
you get a flat it has to be repaired. Topping of a flat doesn't work. A slow
leak is rare.

The people here might not be representative of the larger population.

So the larger population is too lazy to use a floor pump once in a while?

Lou

Old March 8th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Bret Cahill wrote:
This wouldn't work if you hit a mesquite or palm thorn -- the pump
needs to be small and light and will have a low volumetric flow rate
-- but it should eliminate 80% of the other flats which tend to be
slow leaks.

You must get a lot of slow leaks. �The majority of my flats result in
fairly rapid air loss- within a few minutes if not almost immediately.

The goal is to make cycling more people friendly. It's for the
people who buy a bicycle, get a flat and park it in the garage and the
bad experience discourages them from ever riding again.

The people here might not be representative of the larger population.

Some of us do get larger in winter though

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old March 9th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bret Cahill

So the larger population is too lazy to use a floor pump once in a while?

Everyone doesn't want to program in machine language either but that
doesn't mean there isn't a market for something like Windows . . .

Bret Cahill