bike stolen; more questions (about wheels, etc)

Old January 2nd 08, 08:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Cassel

Default bike stolen; more questions (about wheels, etc)

Squat'n Dive wrote:
my allez sport had involuntarily left my garage last night.
lesson learned: write down a serial number and keep it in triplicate
in different spaces
for a subsequent police report about unintentional bum supply.

Why? So the police can activate CSI which will scour the nation using
their amazing powers of detection and get your Specialized bike back?

Be SURE to tell the police the s/n so they can get a good laugh.
Old January 2nd 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Squat'n Dive

my allez sport had involuntarily left my garage last night.
lesson learned: write down a serial number and keep it in triplicate
in different spaces
for a subsequent police report about unintentional bum supply.

rode a bst to work today and a sore Sora based Giant is on the way
from my brother
to act as a loaner. the bike has a trash rear wheel that came with the
bike
when i bought it new in 2000 and a mavic es21 front
that held up exceptionally well despite the low price.

i wonder if i buy a semi decent replacement and keep it indoors how
would the
indoor-outdoor transition affect the longevity of the bottom bracket
and other
semi sealed components? i keep around 68F indoors and on the morning
ride the temps are
around 50. At night during transition to indoors it's anout 45F-65F.

if i won't shell out another $100+ for a decent rear wheel what are my
options for
cheap yet sturdy rear wheels for a disposable (Sora based) road bike?
es21 grade off the shelf rear wheel probably would do but i wonder if
they are still being made.

What is the toughest fattest rim that would fit on that giant ocr3
that can be reused for off-road
cycling on a cyclocross bike?

Many people do tackle real trails on CX bikes. It's a bit of an
atavistic quirk, but lots of fun and good for skill building.

the usecase i have in mind is winter tires on 700c rims
to be operated on pothole ridden snow/ice covered city streets
and occasionally off road (probably not many rocks though).

now that my allez was stolen i have an option to buy a bike with a
frame with
enough clearance for winter tires (and fenders!!!). what is CX?
Old January 2nd 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Squat'n Dive

On Jan 2, 2:54 am, Paul Cassel
wrote:
Squat'n Dive wrote:
my allez sport had involuntarily left my garage last night.
lesson learned: write down a serial number and keep it in triplicate
in different spaces
for a subsequent police report about unintentional bum supply.

Why? So the police can activate CSI which will scour the nation using

because random crap turns up during routine police stops.
and, say, if they apprehend a bum for trespassing or whatever
and the s/n on his bike matches the one in their db of stolen property
then here you have it. i do not expect them actively searching for
my bike.

their amazing powers of detection and get your Specialized bike back?

Be SURE to tell the police the s/n so they can get a good laugh.

they asked for the s/n. i did not come up with this on my own.
Old January 2nd 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 2, 4:08*pm, "Squat'n Dive" wrote:
On Jan 2, 2:54 am, Paul Cassel
wrote:

Squat'n Dive wrote:
my allez sport had involuntarily left my garage last night.
lesson learned: write down a serial number and keep it in triplicate
in different spaces
for a subsequent police report about unintentional bum supply.

Why? So the police can activate CSI which will scour the nation using

because random crap turns up during routine police stops.
and, say, if they apprehend a bum for trespassing or whatever
and the s/n on his bike matches the one in their db of stolen property
then here you have it. i do not expect them actively searching for
my bike.

their amazing powers of detection and get your Specialized bike back?

Be SURE to tell the police the s/n so they can get a good laugh.

they asked for the s/n. i did not come up with this on my own.

sorry pal, but I found my stolen bike that was previously reported,
being held by a small gang of youths- I called and had police attend
and when they did I was the only claimant to the bike- the cops took
the bike to the station and I had to go there with my id and recepts
for the bloody thing and PROVE that I owned the bike; some 4 hours
later they let me have it. the cops are to be peed on for all I care.
we'll be better off if they just let us carry guns and deal with
people accordingly.
Old January 2nd 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Squat'n Dive

wrote:

Squat'n Dive wrote:
[...]

not allowed to use a gun to defend property in norcal.
in my case locking the garage would've
helped. the problem with LiftMaster garage openers is that they seem
to have
very few combinations and in a condo with lots of units
they tend to overlap. so a neighbour opens his garage and yours get
opened as a side effect.
if i had replaced the trash garage opener (with what?) then i would
not
had had to ride the bicycle shaped trash today.
sic transit gloria mundi

sorry to hear about your ordeal with the trip to the police station
Old January 2nd 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Squat'n Dive wrote:
[...]

I have small paper notes stuffed into the handlebars of all my bikes.
It says my name, and that I am the owner, and a breif description of
me. And it also says: "I like cops! The donuts are on me. ;-)"

Joseph
Old January 2nd 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

wrote:
sorry pal, but I found my stolen bike that was previously reported,
being held by a small gang of youths- I called and had police attend
and when they did I was the only claimant to the bike- the cops took
the bike to the station and I had to go there with my id and recepts
for the bloody thing and PROVE that I owned the bike; some 4 hours
later they let me have it. the cops are to be peed on for all I care.
we'll be better off if they just let us carry guns and deal with
people accordingly.

That's true but it isn't the system we have.

In many places (here for example) bicycles are taxed under the guise of
'registration'. (compounding that problem, insurance carriers deny
coverage when you haven't properly registered your bike as required -
just as a gun or boat). Sadly, there isn't countervailing service with
that tax. Currently registered bikes are sold annually at the local
police property sales.

To view the other side of this, modern Chinese bikes bear two or three
serial numbers of various series, no one knows what a sequence should
look like (eight digits? Ten? Is that an o or a zero?), registration
stickers lift off easily, models are all fungibly the same to the
officer (is that a black spray painted Bianchi Advantage or a Bianchi
Boardwalk?) etc etc. It's not as quick or easy or certain as a car's
engine block number or the new VIN# on the dash.

I have seen a guy grab back 'his' bike only to find it wasn't the actual
bike, merely the same model and year. That could have been ugly if it
were any more violent. Think about that for a minute.

I kicked a rider of a stolen bike in traffic, threw the bike over my
shoulder and walked away only to be stopped by Madison's Finest (try
finding a cop that fast when you need one!). I had the report with
matching numbers in my office.

I'm sure a moment's thought will turn up many scenarios, mostly messy,
which make this all quite complex. Bike theft defies simple solution.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old January 3rd 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Andrew Muzi wrote:
I have seen a guy grab back 'his' bike only to find it wasn't the actual
bike, merely the same model and year. That could have been ugly if it
were any more violent. Think about that for a minute....

In the known Universe, there is only one (1) bicycle of this model and
color: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2016/1939602865_538c57728e.jpg?v=0.

There are three (3) in this color, but only one has the custom
handlebars and dyed seat cover:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2340/1940445068_2dfd2e0173.jpg?v=0.

POST FREE OR DIE!
Old January 3rd 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Cassel

Zoot Katz wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 17:13:17 -0600, A Muzi
concluded:

Bike theft defies simple solution.

This looks like it could be fun built into a pair of hand grips.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Tazer-Glove/

Believe it or not, but if you managed this, you'd be arrested. This
would be a booby trap which is illegal in most states even if the trap
is sprung by someone intending a crime.

-paul

Few questions on new wheels renum UK 6 September 26th 07 04:15 PM
nearly stolen bike Paul - xxx UK 4 November 21st 05 07:31 PM
nearly stolen bike Helen Deborah Vecht UK 4 November 21st 05 11:12 AM
nearly stolen bike nobody760 UK 6 November 17th 05 08:05 AM
new ritchey carbon wheels, questions Rapunzel Techniques 2 March 30th 04 03:48 AM