Bikers attitudes

Old February 6th 07, 03:07 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Bikers attitudes

I noticed two harley riders yesterday on a two lane road, one was
going north one south. They gave the wave as they sailed by.

It used to be this way with bikes, but alas everyone is in spandex,
clown suits or the offspring of spandex. They ride for times, and to
beat the guy or gal ahead on the road. They can miss the fun of
biking. And, nobody acknowledges anyone.

Back in the day, there were few bikes, you were a genuine freak if you
rode more than a few miles. Today is different. LOTS of miles; but
withdrawn attitudes for the most part It was like if you played
soccer that was a wierdo activity, it was only on tv as "soccer from
Germany" So back in the day it was different, and rare, but it was a
kinder sport.

I have found myself passed up by large clubs, groups, no courtesy for
the most part, they will blow you into the ditch, and tell you to "FO"
to boot. Some of the rudest are the offical local teams, with the team
kits. You're an outcast if you don't ride the latest Carbon exotic
ride.

In a few years you will be able to score on some great bikes, when the
rude boys move on to something else. The Power Taps will be on the
bikes at Goodwill, hey what a concept. I can only guess if most of
these guys gals know how to do something as simple as fix a flat, or
true a wheel.

So..thanks for listening and have a nice ride.

Old February 6th 07, 04:06 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Roger Zoul

wrote:
:: I noticed two harley riders yesterday on a two lane road, one was
:: going north one south. They gave the wave as they sailed by.
::

I had a guy coming toward me, in my lane, in doing a "wheelie". He didn't
wave at all. I felt it was quite dangerous, too.

:: It used to be this way with bikes, but alas everyone is in spandex,
:: clown suits or the offspring of spandex. They ride for times, and to
:: beat the guy or gal ahead on the road. They can miss the fun of
:: biking. And, nobody acknowledges anyone.

I think they have plenty of fun....they just like to race and go fast and
wear "clown suits". I say let them enjoy cycling the way they want to and
I'll enjoy it they way I want to. Oh, many of them will wave at me. Not
all do, but perhaps they are thinking about their time and don't want to be
distracted. I'm not bothered by it at all. Sometimes I don't feel like
waving, either (if I'm in thought or something).

::
:: Back in the day, there were few bikes, you were a genuine freak if
:: you rode more than a few miles. Today is different. LOTS of miles;
:: but withdrawn attitudes for the most part It was like if you played
:: soccer that was a wierdo activity, it was only on tv as "soccer from
:: Germany" So back in the day it was different, and rare, but it was a
:: kinder sport.

I don't think it's unkind. Also, I don't think of cycling as a sport. It is
a athletic activity, but I don't think it necessarily requires any skill and
doesn't have to have a competitive nature. Racing, IMO, is a sport. Just
my take.

::
:: I have found myself passed up by large clubs, groups, no courtesy for
:: the most part, they will blow you into the ditch, and tell you to
:: "FO" to boot. Some of the rudest are the offical local teams, with
:: the team kits. You're an outcast if you don't ride the latest Carbon
:: exotic ride.

Hmm...I've been passed by the peloton on many charity rides. I start out
early and they overtake me. When I see them coming I start riding fast to
keep them behind me (that's part of my fun). As they eventually pass, some
will say "good work," and stuff like that. Some do pass very close, but I
have no problems with it. I hold my line.

::
:: In a few years you will be able to score on some great bikes, when
:: the rude boys move on to something else. The Power Taps will be on
:: the bikes at Goodwill, hey what a concept. I can only guess if most
:: of these guys gals know how to do something as simple as fix a flat,
:: or true a wheel.

I'll be on the lookout.

::
:: So..thanks for listening and have a nice ride.

Honestly, I think you might want to soften your attitude a bit on the
subject. Those folks are just looking for something different than you or
I. It's fine. We get what we want/need, so do they. Don't expect everyone
to stop and chat you up while they're trying to go fast. They might crash
and then the entire line would go down!

Old February 6th 07, 05:13 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Roger Zoul wrote:
Honestly, I think you might want to soften your attitude a bit on the
subject. Those folks are just looking for something different than you or
I. It's fine. We get what we want/need, so do they. Don't expect everyone
to stop and chat you up while they're trying to go fast. They might crash
and then the entire line would go down!

I always ring my bell at peds, skaters, stroller pushers, families,
tourists, etc, when I'm passing them.

I'm on a recumbent, that alone is unusual and invites conversation
around here; they most always give me a friendly greeting, especially
if I'm going at a respectable pace.

Just people enjoying life outdoors without fossil fuel is a delight to
me; not necessarily chit-chats! Before global warming or clmate
change discussions ruin my day of course ;-) !

Old February 7th 07, 09:31 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Buck

On 2007-02-06 15:07:44 +0000, said:

[...]

I find that the really serious roadies just scowl when I wave, I assume it is
the best they can manage with the pain of the axe head jammed up their
arse.

I pass one spandex warrior every morning and say hello only to be greeted
with silence, it's on a long downhill, same place every morning and he does
not catch up again at any point, passed him a 7:30 this morning as usual, this
time with the ice crunching under the wheels, looked in the mirror to
see him slide
off in the ice, went back to see if he was ok and ended up going for a coffee
with him in the coffee bar down the road, he says he never responded before
because when I pass he is always wondering why I am so happy whatever the
weather, any way, after coffee he rode the trike up the hill and back
down again
he arrived back with the classic trikers grin, I could see his mind
working. I suspect
he will say hello tomorrow.

By the way I always get good comments from riders of Harleys when I am
on the trike,
"cool ride" and stuff like that.
--
Three wheels good, two wheels ok

www.catrike.co.uk

Old February 7th 07, 01:04 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Roger Zoul

Buck wrote:
[...]

Now that's sweet irony!