Helmets

Old February 4th 07, 04:33 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Helmets

I recently had a completely new (at least for me) experience: I wore
out a helmet. Or at least I think I wore it out: there's a crack in
the front of my trusty white Giro Atmos that I can't account for. The
helmet's four years old, so I'm just putting this crack down to
accumulated wear and tear.

So how is this new? Well, it's the first time I've ever replaced a
helmet before catastrophically destroying it through the medium of an
epic crash. In other words, I've finally had a helmet die of old age.

Who would have even thought such a thing possible?

So lately I've been doing some helmet shopping, during which I have
thought a lot-too much, perhaps-about helmets.

Chose a Bell; what the Hell?

Old February 4th 07, 05:05 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Ben Goren

wrote:

I recently had a completely new (at least for me) experience: I
wore out a helmet. Or at least I think I wore it out: there's a
crack in the front of my trusty white Giro Atmos that I can't
account for. The helmet's four years old, so I'm just putting
this crack down to accumulated wear and tear.

So how is this new? Well, it's the first time I've ever replaced
a helmet before catastrophically destroying it through the
medium of an epic crash. In other words, I've finally had a
helmet die of old age.

Who would have even thought such a thing possible?

So lately I've been doing some helmet shopping, during which I
have thought a lot-too much, perhaps-about helmets.

Chose a Bell; what the Hell?

I'll probably be replacing a perfectly good ``aero'' style helmet
before long with a Bell Citi.

The aerodynamic properties of helmets are probably irrelevant
under 35 mph, and certainly miniscule even then. They're
especially dwarfed by the superior aerodynamics inherent to the
'bent in the first place.

What the aero shapes /do/ do is twist your head around when you
hit the ground, possibly snapping your neck in extreme cases. The
Citi is round and has no snag points (mounting brackets, rough
finishes, oversized vents with sharp corners, etc.) It's also
available in a day-glo orange.

I won't be the most stylish cyclist on the road. But I'll be one
of the more visible, and one of the ones more likely to be able to
display my sense of no-style after a crash.

Cheers,

b&

--
EAC Memographer
BAAWA Knight of Blasphemy

Old February 4th 07, 05:22 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Roger Zoul

Ben Goren wrote:

::
:: What the aero shapes /do/ do is twist your head around when you
:: hit the ground, possibly snapping your neck in extreme cases. The
:: Citi is round and has no snag points (mounting brackets, rough
:: finishes, oversized vents with sharp corners, etc.) It's also
:: available in a day-glo orange.
::

Is this based on theory or is there anything more? (not being critical or
trying to incite - just stupidly curious)

Old February 4th 07, 05:45 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Ben Goren

Roger Zoul wrote:

Ben Goren wrote:

What the aero shapes /do/ do is twist your head around when
you hit the ground, possibly snapping your neck in extreme
cases. The Citi is round and has no snag points (mounting
brackets, rough finishes, oversized vents with sharp corners,
etc.) It's also available in a day-glo orange.

Is this based on theory or is there anything more? (not being
critical or trying to incite - just stupidly curious)

It's mostly from the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute at:

http://www.helmets.org/

In particular, be sure to check out their recommendations for the
2007 season.

The fact that the Citi is a Consumer Reports best buy doesn't
hurt, either....

Cheers,

b&

Old February 4th 07, 06:22 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Roger Zoul

Ben Goren wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::
::: Ben Goren wrote:
:::
[...]

Thanks. I could not find on the Bell website any info on a day-glo orange
helmet. Any leads?
I'm going to check out CR next.

Old February 4th 07, 07:48 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Ben Goren wrote:

It's mostly from the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute at:

http://www.helmets.org/

I would suggest the rather more objective, scholarly and complete
one of the Bicycle Helmet Research Foundation at
http://www.cyclehelmets.org/

It has the advantage of not having easily provable complete
nonsense stated as if it's fact.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old February 4th 07, 09:34 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Ben Goren

Roger Zoul wrote:

Ben Goren wrote:

What the aero shapes /do/ do is twist your head around when
you hit the ground, possibly snapping your neck in extreme
cases. The Citi is round and has no snag points (mounting
brackets, rough finishes, oversized vents with sharp corners,
etc.) It's also available in a day-glo orange.

Is this based on theory or is there anything more? (not being
critical or trying to incite - just stupidly curious)

It's mostly from the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute at:

http://www.helmets.org/

In particular, be sure to check out their recommendations for
the 2007 season.

The fact that the Citi is a Consumer Reports best buy doesn't
hurt, either....

Thanks. I could not find on the Bell website any info on a
day-glo orange helmet. Any leads?

My mistrake. The Bell Metro, which is the same shell with a
different fitting system, comes in day-glo orange. The Citi comes
in a bright yellow. The Metro is a slightly older model, but it's
also the upscale version with special optional accessories like a
fold-away mirror.

Personally, I'd go for the Citi. It's $50 v $75, and I like the
newer fitting system.

I'm going to check out CR next.

I definitely recommend you do. But do spend some time reading
through the BHSI's stuff. They're clearly passionate about
helmets, and they're constantly updating their site with new
information. Frankly, I trust their opinion over that of the
Consumer Product Safety Commission. If nothing else, the BHSI
recommends everything the CPSC and CR do for safety, and more.

Cheers,

b&

Old February 4th 07, 09:51 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Ben Goren

Peter Clinch wrote:

Ben Goren wrote:

It's mostly from the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute at:

http://www.helmets.org/

I would suggest the rather more objective, scholarly and
complete one of the Bicycle Helmet Research Foundation at
http://www.cyclehelmets.org/

It has the advantage of not having easily provable complete
nonsense stated as if it's fact.

Funny. That's exactly the way I'd describe BHRF. Their ``A helmet
saved my life!'' page, for example, is completely the opposite of
my own experience.

This past fall, I was clipped by a car that passed me. I have no
memory of the crash itself, and my memory of the rest of that
afternoon until about the time I was released from the ER is
spotty at best. I had a concussion and a broken elbow. The side of
my helmet was crushed. I had a bit of road rash on my cheek. The
CT scan, however, was clear, and by that evening there were no
more signs of my concussion.

There's no reason whatsoever to doubt that I'd have at least
fractured my skull without the helmet.

I know, the plural of ``anecdote'' is not data, and all that. But
I was the unwilling subject of an experiment that directly
contradicts their claims. And the thrust of their claims is that
helmets only protect against some kinds of injuries, not all; that
people are less likely to ride at all if they're required to own a
helmet; and that idiots will -- as with antilock brakes -- get
themselves into situations they never would have if they didn't
have a helmet. Not a one of those arguments carries the slightest
bit of weight with me.

I'll keep my helmet on, thankyouverymuch.

Cheers,

b&

Old February 4th 07, 10:12 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Ian Smith

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 14:51:55 -0700, Ben Goren wrote:

This past fall, I was clipped by a car that passed me. I have no
memory of the crash itself,

Quick recap - you have no idea what actually happened, but you're
certain that the helmet saved your life. Is that rational? How do
you know what effect the helmet had if you don't even know what
happened?

There's no reason whatsoever to doubt that I'd have at least
fractured my skull without the helmet.

Not even the reason that skulls take five times the energy to fracture
than helmets can absorb?

I know, the plural of ``anecdote'' is not data, and all that. But I
was the unwilling subject of an experiment that directly
contradicts their claims.

No, you were not. Please specify one single claim that is
contradicted by the accident you don't remember anything about.

And the thrust of their claims is that helmets only protect against
some kinds of injuries, not all;

You dispute that, do you?
Your helmet is effective against (say) broken thumbs, is it?

Not a one of those arguments carries the slightest bit of weight
with me.

Apparently so. Curiouser and curiouser.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old February 4th 07, 10:23 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Ben Goren wrote:
It's mostly from the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute at:

http://www.helmets.org/

In particular, be sure to check out their recommendations for the
2007 season.

Impressive! I was trying to be funny rhyming Bell,but that was such
good info; I ****will**** get a Bell :-) - thanks for the link.

Helmets week on my new blog, a question regarding helmets and my blog. 101bike Racing 7 March 18th 06 03:14 AM
Helmets & HSE Richard UK 15 January 10th 06 04:20 PM
Helmets Timo UK 101 December 10th 05 05:47 PM
Helmets helmets helmets and weird heads Tamyka Bell Australia 3 November 30th 04 11:25 AM
Helmets Peter Taylor UK 53 February 10th 04 04:28 PM