Historical reference

Old October 11th 04, 04:02 PM

Default Historical reference

Was it November 1924 or November 1927 that Tullio Campagnolo had his
great inspiration that was the parent of the modern derailleur? The
accounts I have read state that Tullio lost in the Gran Premio della
Vittoria race because his wheel nuts froze going over the pass at
Croce D'Aune and he was unable to turn his wheel around.
Old October 11th 04, 04:30 PM
Sheldon Brown

Was it November 1924 or November 1927 that Tullio Campagnolo had his
great inspiration that was the parent of the modern derailleur? The
accounts I have read state that Tullio lost in the Gran Premio della
Vittoria race because his wheel nuts froze going over the pass at
Croce D'Aune and he was unable to turn his wheel around.

1924, but is wasn't the derailer that this famous incident inspired, but
the quick-release wheel.

See:
http://www.velo-retro.com/tline.html

Sheldon "Necessity Is A Mother" Brown
Santa Cruz, California
| The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the |
| unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world |
| to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the |
| unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old October 11th 04, 04:40 PM
Dave Thompson

wrote in message
Was it November 1924 or November 1927 that Tullio Campagnolo had his
great inspiration that was the parent of the modern derailleur? The
accounts I have read state that Tullio lost in the Gran Premio della
Vittoria race because his wheel nuts froze going over the pass at
Croce D'Aune and he was unable to turn his wheel around.

From RideCampy.com website: "November 11th, 1927. Tullio Campagnolo on the
Croce D'Aune Pass in the falling snow. Bad day to have to flip that back
wheel to change gears. The wingnuts were frozen solid and his hands were
numb as bricks.

Knowing the Gran Premio della Vittoria was lost, he exclaimed, "Bisogno
cambiá qualcossa de drio!"

"Something must change in the rear!"

By 1930, cycling had the elegant little quick release lever, using a simple
cam and adjustment nut to remove wheels in an instant.

Old October 11th 04, 05:19 PM

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:30:05 -0700, Sheldon Brown

Was it November 1924 or November 1927 that Tullio Campagnolo had his
great inspiration that was the parent of the modern derailleur? The
accounts I have read state that Tullio lost in the Gran Premio della
Vittoria race because his wheel nuts froze going over the pass at
Croce D'Aune and he was unable to turn his wheel around.

1924, but is wasn't the derailer that this famous incident inspired, but
the quick-release wheel.

See: http://www.velo-retro.com/tline.html

Sheldon "Necessity Is A Mother" Brown
Santa Cruz, California
| The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the |
| unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world |
| to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the |
| unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Thanks! I was getting ready to flip a coin..

Old October 12th 04, 03:53 AM
John Dacey

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:40:35 -0700, "Dave Thompson"
wrote:

From RideCampy.com website: "November 11th, 1927. Tullio Campagnolo on the
Croce D'Aune Pass in the falling snow. Bad day to have to flip that back
wheel to change gears. The wingnuts were frozen solid and his hands were
numb as bricks.
By 1930, cycling had the elegant little quick release lever, using a simple
cam and adjustment nut to remove wheels in an instant.

It has long occurred to me that if the Fable of Croce d'Aune had a jot
of truth to it, Campagnolo's contibution to cycling would have been
mittens.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
http://www.businesscycles.com
Since 1983
Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
-------------------------------

Old October 12th 04, 06:16 PM

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:53:28 -0400, John Dacey
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:40:35 -0700, "Dave Thompson"
wrote:

From RideCampy.com website: "November 11th, 1927. Tullio Campagnolo on the
Croce D'Aune Pass in the falling snow. Bad day to have to flip that back
wheel to change gears. The wingnuts were frozen solid and his hands were
numb as bricks.
By 1930, cycling had the elegant little quick release lever, using a simple
cam and adjustment nut to remove wheels in an instant.

It has long occurred to me that if the Fable of Croce d'Aune had a jot
of truth to it, Campagnolo's contibution to cycling would have been
mittens.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
http://www.businesscycles.com
Since 1983
Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
-------------------------------

The Gran Sport two wire derailleur was the real paradigm shift that
has been so important to contemporary drivelines. Who was the
engineer that dreamed that up?

Until they come up with superconducting generator/motor pairs there is
not likely to be much improvement in driveline performance for bikes.
Two sprockets and a narrow chain present the least amount of friction
for a contemporary driveline.

The RBR Reference List Papai Digital Racing 104 December 9th 04 09:34 PM
The RBR Reference List crit pro Racing 2 December 3rd 04 07:33 PM
The RBR Reference List Papai Digital Racing 0 December 3rd 04 05:12 PM
Mysterious reference by Phil Liggett John Dean Racing 5 July 16th 03 05:59 AM