Raged motorist strikes two cyclists

Old August 28th 07, 12:43 AM posted to pdx.general,or.politics,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime,rec.autos.driving
Lobby Dosser

Default Raged motorist strikes two cyclists

SMS wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:

You will discover that people advancing the kinds of arguments that
Frank and I advance, were able to successfully prevent the passage
of a helmet law.

Proof?

It's impossible to know what exactly they said, and if in fact the
laws were not implemented because of what they said or in spite of
what they said.

The anonymity of Usenet tends to cause people to say things that they
wouldn't say in person. I would wager that neither Frank nor Guy was
at these hearings talking about PMS, cancer, driving helmets, walking
helmets, etc., or engaging in the type of rhetoric that is seen on
Usenet in the helmet wars.

If I had to guess, they were probably presenting real data about how
low the accident rate for cyclists actually is, and how unnecessary a
compulsory law actually is. They may have been claiming that helmet
laws result in reduced levels of cycling, even though no data is
available that proves this.

This the approach that was successful in my club when the do-gooders
tried to make helmets compulsory on all rides, rather than letting the
ride leaders decide (eventually we could no longer obtain insurance
without a helmet requirement and we were forced into requiring helmets
on all rides).

It's highly unlikely that they were attacking the validity of ER
statistics with rationalizations about how income level and social
status affect ER visits, either one way or another.

And there is no proof that either of them ever had anything to do with
stopping a helmet law, is there?
Old August 28th 07, 01:39 AM posted to pdx.general,or.politics,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime,rec.autos.driving
Picachu is a recovering sex slave

On Aug 27, 5:57 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:41:17 -0700, "Bjorn Berg f/Fergie Berg and
All the Ships at S" said in
om:

Oh, wait, I see you are using Gurgle Gropes. There is no hope for
you, then.

Not as long as Terrornews is my only real hope for a provider and
they want a credit card for some damn fee. Visa/MC is the real
great Satan.

Heh! I use news.individual.net, they filter most of the spam and
are pretty good, very rarely get service failures.

PS Am I to understand you're Biritish, or is that where you hide?
Maybe you are DeSeRt BoB.

Yes, I'm British,

Picachu was a heavy smack user but it found Gaaaawd and repainted the
main room in it's mind. Your allotment of french fries is due for
repayment, Jennifer.

Old August 28th 07, 01:40 AM posted to pdx.general,or.politics,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime,rec.autos.driving
Picachu is a recovering sex slave

Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:41:17 -0700, "Bjorn Berg f/Fergie Berg and
All the Ships at S" said in
om:

Oh, wait, I see you are using Gurgle Gropes. There is no hope for
you, then.

Not as long as Terrornews is my only real hope for a provider and
they want a credit card for some damn fee. Visa/MC is the real
great Satan.

Heh! I use news.individual.net, they filter most of the spam and
are pretty good, very rarely get service failures.

PS Am I to understand you're Biritish, or is that where you hide?
Maybe you are DeSeRt BoB.

Yes, I'm British,

Picachu was a heavy smack user but it found Gaaaawd and repainted the
main room in it's mind. Your allotment of french fries is due for
repayment, Jennifer.

Pastels are forbidden for roadway use.

Old August 28th 07, 01:51 AM posted to pdx.general,or.politics,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime,rec.autos.driving
SMS

Lobby Dosser wrote:

And there is no proof that either of them ever had anything to do with
stopping a helmet law, is there?

No, but they think they did! While to most of us they come across as
rather foolish on Usenet, each could have a totally different persona
when live in front of policymakers, and they could actually be effective
lobbyists when the anonymity of Usenet is stripped away.

Old August 28th 07, 01:52 AM posted to pdx.general,or.politics,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime,rec.autos.driving
Lobby Dosser

"Bill Sornson" wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:41:17 -0700, "Bjorn Berg f/Fergie Berg and
All the Ships at S" said in
om:

Oh, wait, I see you are using Gurgle Gropes. There is no hope for
you, then.

Not as long as Terrornews is my only real hope for a provider and
they want a credit card for some damn fee. Visa/MC is the real
great Satan.

Heh! I use news.individual.net, they filter most of the spam and
are pretty good, very rarely get service failures.

PS Am I to understand you're Biritish, or is that where you hide?
Maybe you are DeSeRt BoB.

Yes, I'm British,

Then eventually you WILL have helmets. Nanny wouldn't have it any
other way. And mandatory sun glasses and sun screen on days when the
sun shines. And classes on the save use of a bicycle. And a Licence
to buy one. And insurance. And road tax. And ...

And pretty soon... No mention of Winston Churchill in textbooks.

I went to his funeral. Astonishing crowd. Even bigger than the "Ban the
Bomb - Yanks Out!" rally Easter weekend 1962.
Old August 28th 07, 01:58 AM posted to pdx.general,or.politics,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime,rec.autos.driving
Lobby Dosser

SMS wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:

And there is no proof that either of them ever had anything to do
with stopping a helmet law, is there?

No, but they think they did! While to most of us they come across as
rather foolish on Usenet, each could have a totally different persona
when live in front of policymakers, and they could actually be
effective lobbyists when the anonymity of Usenet is stripped away.

Or not. I suspect not. True Believers being what they are.
Old August 28th 07, 03:18 AM posted to pdx.general,or.politics,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime,rec.autos.driving
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_1026_]

Just zis Guy, you know? aka Guy Chapman wrote:
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 22:04:59 GMT, Lobby Dosser
said in
fOmAi.5560$yv3.1687@trndny01:

Maybe, but we've also provided good quality and persuasive
information for the larger number of politicians who did not already
know.

Dream On!

Check Hansard for the United Kingdom parliament, 23 April 2004.
Protective Headgear for Young Cyclists Bill, defeated.

And?

You will discover that people advancing the kinds of arguments that
Frank and I advance, were able to successfully prevent the passage
of a helmet law.

My hypothesis is that "Lobby Dosser" is a long lost relative of Ed Dolan
(aka Mr. Ed the Grate). The argumentation to be annoying style is common
to both.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

Old August 28th 07, 03:21 AM posted to pdx.general,or.politics,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime,rec.autos.driving
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_1027_]

Default Helmets (was Raged motorist strikes two cyclists)

Picachu is a recovering sex slave wrote:

Picachu was a heavy smack user but it found Gaaaawd and repainted the
main room in it's mind. Your allotment of french fries is due for
repayment, Jennifer.

This is the best argument yet for mandatory helmet use.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

Old August 28th 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_1029_]

Bill Sornson wrote:
...If I take a fall while riding, then a barrier between
my skull and the pavement is a GOOD THING....

Don't want any sense knocked in ya, eh?

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

Old August 28th 07, 04:09 AM posted to pdx.general,or.politics,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime,rec.autos.driving

On Aug 27, 6:35 pm, Lobby Dosser
On Aug 27, 2:38 am, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

If more than one person is involved, Everything IS a Political Issue.
Everywhere. Deal with it.

Interesting. Earlier, you said scientific arguments and presentation
of facts won't work regarding mandatory helmet laws. Why? Because
they are a political issue.

Now you're saying if more than one person is involved, _everything_ is
a political issue.

It follows that you believe science and data have no value, except
perhaps to hermits living alone on mountain tops! That's one of the
most anti-intellectual points of view I've ever heard.

How do you make your personal decisions? By examining the entrails of
sacrificed animals?

That seems more your line of work.

Nope. My line of work is engineering and technical education. I'm
all about learning, calculations, data, intelligence, etc. That's how
I make most of my important decisions.

How about you? If you have so little regard for facts, science and
logic, how _do_ you make decisions? Care to answer, instead of wise-
cracking?

- Frank Krygowski

LEMOND STRIKES AGAIN datakoll Techniques 44 August 30th 07 01:48 PM
LEMOND STRIKES AGAIN! datakoll Racing 0 August 17th 07 01:24 PM
Cyclists save motorist? [email protected] UK 15 October 20th 06 05:43 PM
N+1 strikes again Duracell Bunny Australia 13 September 25th 06 05:44 AM
Road-raged kingsley Australia 30 October 14th 03 12:55 PM