Raged motorist strikes two cyclists

Old August 29th 07, 10:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving
Just zis Guy, you know?

Default Raged motorist strikes two cyclists

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:28:16 -0700, SMS
said in :

They do the only thing they can do. Facts, science, and logic have no
place in the world of the AHZ's.

Once again Steven M Scharf falsely accuses others of his own worst
faults. Here's a checklist for you, Scharf - how many of the
following have you read?

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/wiki...idence/By_date

Note that several of your opponents in this debate show familiarity
with the literature and cite it frequently. Whereas you... don't.
Yup, your spectacularly stupid statement is in fact a precise
reversal of the truth.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old August 30th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_1088_]

Brent P? wrote:
...Of
course your pro-helmet arguments are about on par with Frank's
pro-speed-hump arguments.

Nothing wrong with the occasional quick..., oh sorry, family newsgroups.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

Old August 30th 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_1089_]

Brent P? wrote:
no lie at all... there was this one woman who pulled along side me and
honked and then proceeded to block traffic to tell me about the virtues
of foam hat wearing. I've had oncoming drivers yell 'wear a helmet' at
me. It's in 3rd place after 'get off the road' and 'get on the sidewalk'
for things yelled at me while riding....

Next time I am in The Great City of Chicaguh (sic), I am going to yell
"wear a magic foam hat" at every lidless cyclist in case it is Brent P.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

Old September 1st 07, 03:22 PM posted to pdx.general,or.politics,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime,rec.autos.driving
Paul Berg

Default Can we get this thread to the 1,000 posts mark?

~

With the help of our friend from Ontario and some helmetless cyclists
the goal should be met.

~

Old September 4th 07, 05:37 PM posted to pdx.general,or.politics,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime,rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article ubmAi.964$j23.151@trndny06,
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Get to the decision makers and leaders in the legislature. Don't do it
publicly. In a word, Lobby. )

As for adopting the ways which the State has provided for remedying
the evil, I know not of such ways. They take too much time, and a
man's life will be gone. I have other affairs to attend to. I came
into this world, not chiefly to make this a good place to live in, but
to live in it, be it good or bad. A man has not everything to do, but
something; and because he cannot do everything, it is not necessary
that he should do something wrong. It is not my business to be
petitioning the Governor or the Legislature any more than it is theirs
to petition me; and if they should not hear my petition, what should I
do then?
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old September 4th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article om,
Woody Brison wrote:
On Aug 21, 5:07 pm, Festivus wrote:

But I don't have any problem with allowing personal choice in any of
this. Motorcycle helmets, seat belts, whatever - once you hit 18, you
ought to be able to make your own call.

If all individuals paid for their own hospitalization,
that'd be fine, but we pay as a group. Insurance premiums
and taxes. It makes sense to try to protect the group
from excessive levies.

Once that principle is accepted it leads directly to totalitarianism
with no intervening qualitative distinctions.

Unless you're my insurer (not another policyholder, but the insurer
itself), you've got no business trying to restrict my activities. If
the government, the hospitals, or some other organization I did not
contract with to provide care offers to do so, I incur no obligations
-- particularly, no obligations to avoid activities which would result
in them providing care -- as a result.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old September 4th 07, 05:55 PM posted to pdx.general,or.politics,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article .com,
Woody Brison wrote:

This is persuasive on the one hand, yet walking goes maybe
5 mph and cycling goes around 15 to 20, more for serious
riders. The energy goes up with the square of the velocity
so an increase from 5 to 25 is an increase in kinetic
energy of 25X. That's why. You're about as likely to hit
a post riding as walking. Yet, I've seen people do it
walking.

More likely to hit it walking, I'd wager, because people less often
pay attention to where they are going when walking than when cycling,
probably precisely because the consequences of hitting something while
walking are usually small.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old September 4th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article . com,
Woody Brison wrote:

That depends on the situation. In orbit, it's zero.
During launch it could be several tons. What you
really want to know is my mass. Believe it or not,
I've known ROCKET SCIENTISTS to get that confused.

Because the term "weight" refers to mass in most contexts, and always
has. A balance scale measures mass. The contexts in which it does
not (e.g. when talking about "weight transfer" during braking or
acceleration) are the unusual ones. In the case of one's body weight,
it's mass being referred to.

The Physics 101 claim that "weight" refers only to force just isn't
true, except perhaps Physics 101 textbook problems.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old September 4th 07, 06:43 PM posted to pdx.general,or.politics,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime,rec.autos.driving
Matthew T. Russotto

In article . com,
wrote:

There's a good chance that's another statement from ignorance. My
club's insurance does not require helmets. Granted, his club is in a
different state, and perhaps every insurance company licensed in his
state does require helmets, but it's rather unlikely. The League of
American Bicyclists' event insurance is available in every state,
AFAIK, and it does not require helmets.

The "insurance requires it" line is common among control freaks
because it's credible, it's sometimes true, and because there's no way
of disproving it unless you're on the board of the organization making
the claim.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old September 4th 07, 09:32 PM posted to pdx.general,or.politics,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime,rec.autos.driving
SMS

Matthew T. Russotto wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
There's a good chance that's another statement from ignorance. My
club's insurance does not require helmets. Granted, his club is in a
different state, and perhaps every insurance company licensed in his
state does require helmets, but it's rather unlikely. The League of
American Bicyclists' event insurance is available in every state,
AFAIK, and it does not require helmets.

The "insurance requires it" line is common among control freaks
because it's credible, it's sometimes true, and because there's no way
of disproving it unless you're on the board of the organization making
the claim.

Hey, we fought the mandatory helmet requirement in my club for years,
and I was one of the ride leaders that said I would stop leading rides
if it was implemented. Eventually it came down to a choice of requiring
helmets or shutting the club down for lack of liability insurance. That
said, during the long arguments at club meetings over the issue, we
always took the personal freedom approach. Trying to deny that you're
better off hitting your head without a helmet than with a helmet is an
argument that none of us would have dreamed of bringing up, but our club
is mainly made up of engineering types that understand risk analysis.

LEMOND STRIKES AGAIN datakoll Techniques 44 August 30th 07 01:48 PM
LEMOND STRIKES AGAIN! datakoll Racing 0 August 17th 07 01:24 PM
Cyclists save motorist? [email protected] UK 15 October 20th 06 05:43 PM
N+1 strikes again Duracell Bunny Australia 13 September 25th 06 05:44 AM
Road-raged kingsley Australia 30 October 14th 03 12:55 PM