Warranty advice please

Old February 13th 12, 06:24 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Bean

Default Warranty advice please

6 months ago I bought a 12 month old Hyundai that came with a 4 year
warranty. I have just had a letter from the dealer to say that a service
is now due and that if I do not have it properly serviced it will affect
the warranty blah blah. As my car has only 7000 miles on the clock I
thought that it would cost very little, How wrong I was,they want
£189.After I picked myself up off the floor I had a bit of go at them
saying if It had 2 services a year it will cost me over £400 a year and
over the next 4 years it will cost over £1600 approx. Now if I don't
have the car serviced by them I lose the warranty. Now my son in law is
a fully qualified mechanic and he would do it for next to nothing but I
would lose out on the warranty. My question is, is it worth paying out,
what would you do? Is a warranty worth the paper it's written on?

Steve
Old February 13th 12, 07:24 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

"Mr. Bean" wrote in message
[...]

It would seem that any respectable VAT charging independent garage using
genuine parts can service.
The log book needs to be filled in etc.

Old February 13th 12, 08:59 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Tired[_2_]

Mr. Bean wrote:
[...]
::
:: Steve

DTI ruled some time ago that the above practice was unlawful. As long as a
service was done by a competent person and the parts original parts then it
was sufficient.

Old February 13th 12, 11:02 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Alex Heney

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 13:24:52 -0500, "Mr. Bean" wrote:

6 months ago I bought a 12 month old Hyundai that came with a 4 year
warranty. I have just had a letter from the dealer to say that a service
is now due and that if I do not have it properly serviced it will affect
the warranty blah blah. As my car has only 7000 miles on the clock I
thought that it would cost very little, How wrong I was,they want
£189.

That *is* very little. Most independents will charge that much for a
standard annual/12000 mile service, and not very much less for a 6
month one.

So for a main dealer, that is cheap.

After I picked myself up off the floor I had a bit of go at them
saying if It had 2 services a year it will cost me over £400 a year and
over the next 4 years it will cost over £1600 approx. Now if I don't
have the car serviced by them I lose the warranty. Now my son in law is
a fully qualified mechanic and he would do it for next to nothing but I
would lose out on the warranty. My question is, is it worth paying out,
what would you do? Is a warranty worth the paper it's written on?

Very few 2nd hand car warranties are really worth much at all, but it
would be illegal for them to require servicing at a particular garage.
All they can require is that it be serviced in accordance with
manufacturers specifications - and those are no longer allowed to
specify that it must be their dealers.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Famous last words - Icarus: Aaaahhhhhhhhh.
Old February 14th 12, 12:00 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 13:24:52 -0500, "Mr. Bean" wrote:

6 months ago I bought a 12 month old Hyundai that came with a 4 year
warranty.

I had no idea Hyundai sold bicycles in the UK.

Guy
--
Guy Chapman, http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
The usenet price promise: all opinions are guaranteed
Old February 14th 12, 08:17 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Omega

Mr. Bean wrote:
[...]

the warranty blah blah." .... total cack! .. I've always
serviced my own cars including from brand new ... Fiat tried it on
with me once when they seen my own signature in the service history
saying the car had to be serviced by them or at least a V.A.T.
registered garage. When I pointed out to them that the handbook merely
recommends and not requires servicing by them, they calmed down. I
drove the nail home when I threatened them with legal action if they
didn't honour their guarantee. Most jobs I have found when invoking
guarantee work have never been related to servicing or not anyway! How
the bloody hell does changing the oil on a car make any difference to an
air-con radiator falling to bits after six months from new or a duff
mapping sensor for that matter. All a con! Your son-in-law sounds just
the man to do a proper job then simply get him to sign the service
history. His work is as valid as any. Just stand up to these robbing
*******s! Good luck.

omega

Old February 14th 12, 09:40 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Man at B&Q

On Feb 13, 11:02*pm, Alex Heney wrote:
[...]

From the description, it is the balance of the original manufacturers
warranty, rather than an after market one.

MBQ

Old February 14th 12, 01:43 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling

[...]

I am sure that this is absolutly true BUT you try and get a goodwill
gesture if you hit a serious failure out of warranty without a full
Dealer service history. Many people with VWs and BMWs are very
greatful that they spent a few quid extra
All the EU directives in the world will not help much

Kind Regards

REI Warranty Frank Drackman Techniques 43 December 6th 07 02:07 AM
KH 20 --- Warranty? Riles Unicycling 19 July 15th 07 05:36 AM
Warranty advice .. elyob UK 12 April 12th 07 12:40 AM
KH Warranty? terrybigwheel Unicycling 5 June 13th 06 01:53 AM
Warranty question Phil Clarke UK 11 November 9th 05 05:27 PM