"Are we this backwards?": Disbelief at town ditching 20mph speedlimit...because most motorists ignore i

Old May 21st 21, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default "Are we this backwards?": Disbelief at town ditching 20mph speedlimit...because most motorists ignore i

The reaction has been flooding in to yesterday's news that a town in Fife is up for binning a 20mph speed limit because drivers ignore it. Disbelief and frustration would probably sum up the mood...

The limit was originally 30mph and reduced to 20mph in 2016 when a new housing development was built...OnYerBike thinks the council has made a problem for itself in the way the plans have been communicated:

"I really think the council officers have shot themselves in the foot by saying they are changing it BECAUSE no one obeys it. If they'd simply said they'd reviewed the speed limits and decided 30mph would be more appropriate for that stretch of road, I don't think anyone would have batted an eyelid," they commented.

Plenty of commenters, including visionset, put the logic to the test in other scenarios..."apparently psychopaths are not influenced by the illegality of murder. Therefore I propose that we legalise murder for all diagnosed psychopaths."

Jenova20 wrote: "So why not put a speed camera on said road to enforce the speed limit? Will these councillors be raising the speed limit to 40 soon because cars are now travelling over 30?This whole thing is nonsensical."

AidanR said: "My gut feel is that many motorists drive at what they consider to be an 'acceptable' margin above the speed limit. Raising the limit from 20mph to 30mph will therefore increase the average speed along that road. I'd be interested to know if that's how it works out."

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling...log-item-24975
Old May 27th 21, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey[_2_]

On Fri, 21 May 2021 11:38:48 +0100, wrote:

[...]

What's absurd is having a 20 limit in the first place. We never used to have them. It used to be so simple, 30 in housing areas, 60 in the country, 70 on a motorway, you didn't have to look at the signs, you could concentrate on the road.

I was getting a lift from someone with OCD once, as we were driving through a town he said "I'm not sure if this is a 20 or a 30". His decision was to go 25. I said "Do you consider yourself a good driver?" He said yes. So I said "Then go whatever speed you believe is safe for the road." Of course disobeying a rule confused him completely, but surely most people don't have OCD and can think for themselves?

Why am I saying this to Simon, who has OCD?
Old May 27th 21, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 3:18:19 PM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:

What's absurd is having a 20 limit in the first place. We never used to have them. It used to be so simple, 30 in housing areas, 60 in the country, 70 on a motorway, you didn't have to look at the signs, you could concentrate on the road.

Things change. At one time, motorways didn't even have speed limits until 1965 and in 1903, the 20mph limit was introduced for built up areas. They are now mainly outside schools and in areas of high population density.
Old May 27th 21, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_4_]

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Thu, 27 May 2021 09:32:09 -0700 (PDT), , an absolutely
brain dread troll-feeding senile idiot and typical demented Google groper,
to boot, blathered again:

Things change.

Some things nevery change! Like useless senile assholes, such as you are,
gladly and thankfully feeding the dumbest filthy troll, ****** and attention
whore around!
Old May 27th 21, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey[_2_]

On Thu, 27 May 2021 17:32:09 +0100, wrote:

On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 3:18:19 PM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:

What's absurd is having a 20 limit in the first place. We never used to have them. It used to be so simple, 30 in housing areas, 60 in the country, 70 on a motorway, you didn't have to look at the signs, you could concentrate on the road.

Things change. At one time, motorways didn't even have speed limits until 1965 and in 1903, the 20mph limit was introduced for built up areas. They are now mainly outside schools and in areas of high population density.

That last bit is right, it's for high density people, the thick ones that can't look both ways before crossing.

Are you sure about the 1903?
Old May 27th 21, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 6:33:43 PM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 27 May 2021 17:32:09 +0100, wrote:

On Thursday, May 27, 2021 at 3:18:19 PM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:

What's absurd is having a 20 limit in the first place. We never used to have them. It used to be so simple, 30 in housing areas, 60 in the country, 70 on a motorway, you didn't have to look at the signs, you could concentrate on the road.

Things change. At one time, motorways didn't even have speed limits until 1965 and in 1903, the 20mph limit was introduced for built up areas. They are now mainly outside schools and in areas of high population density.

That last bit is right, it's for high density people, the thick ones that can't look both ways before crossing.

Are you sure about the 1903?

This wasn’t Britain’s first speed limit. In 1865 motor vehicles were limited to 4mph, 2mph in residential areas. By 1903 the speed limit had risen to 20mph. But in 1930 the Road Traffic Act abolished speed limits for cars altogether.

The decision was made because the current limits were flouted so openly that it brought the law into contempt. The Act also introduced the driving offences of dangerous, reckless and careless driving and driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

An increase in deaths on the road forced the government to think again. In 1935 a 30mph limit was introduced for cars in built-up areas, a limit that remains to this day. But away from these areas, drivers were still free to go at whatever speed they liked.

When the first motorways were built, starting with the Preston Bypass (later part of the M6) in December 1958, they were unrestricted.

https://www.historyhit.com/1965-intr...d-limit-in-uk/
Old May 27th 21, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Friday, 21 May 2021 at 11:38:49 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

We have been told many time cyclists never stop for red traffic lights so logically it will no longer be illegal for cyclists to ignore red traffic lights in that town. Murderers, by definition, don't obey the restriction on murder.
Old May 27th 21, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_4_]

On Thu, 27 May 2021 11:19:35 -0700 (PDT), , an absolutely
brain dread troll-feeding senile idiot and typical demented
Google groper, to boot, blathered again:

This wasn¢t Britain¢s first speed limit.

Is there no limit to your troll-cock sucking, senile asshole? BG
Old May 28th 21, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 27/05/2021 15:18, Commander Kinsey wrote:

What's absurd is having a 20 limit in the first place. We never used
to have them. It used to be so simple, 30 in housing areas, 60 in
the country, 70 on a motorway,

We never had a 20 limit because there was a time when going at the limit
was an aspiration. If you look back at old film clips, say, pre-1970,
people generally went under 30 through built up areas.

you didn't have to look at the signs, you could concentrate on the
road.

If you cut your speed, they give you more time to concentrate on the road.
Old May 28th 21, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peeler[_4_]

On Fri, 28 May 2021 10:54:29 +0100, TMS320, another brain dead,
troll-feeding, useless, senile moron, blathered:

you didn't have to look at the signs, you could concentrate on the
road.

If you cut your speed, they give you more time to concentrate on the road.

If you cut your idiotic troll-feeding, you would perhaps not come across as
a total idiot!