Brake blocks

Old June 7th 05, 04:09 PM
soup

Default Brake blocks

I fully realise this is a "how long is a piece of string" question but
how long/far roughly should a set of blocks last? Had a set on my 'bike
for roughly 8~900 miles and they are through to the metal ("time for a
change" "huh ya think"). Now I am not a speed up to lights then brake
heavily type of guy but surely a set of blocks should last more than
8~900 miles.
--
yours S

Old June 7th 05, 05:14 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

"soup" typed

I fully realise this is a "how long is a piece of string" question but
how long/far roughly should a set of blocks last? Had a set on my 'bike
for roughly 8~900 miles and they are through to the metal ("time for a
change" "huh ya think"). Now I am not a speed up to lights then brake
heavily type of guy but surely a set of blocks should last more than
8~900 miles.

This does sound like rapid wear. In my limited experience, it's usually
wimmin who wear brake blocks faster, perhaps because they are cautious
downhill.

Have you done much riding in the rain?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old June 7th 05, 05:51 PM
Buck

On 06/07/2005 16:09:28 "soup" wrote:

I fully realise this is a "how long is a piece of string" question but how
long/far roughly should a set of blocks last? Had a set on my 'bike for
roughly 8~900 miles and they are through to the metal ("time for a change"
"huh ya think"). Now I am not a speed up to lights then brake heavily
type of guy but surely a set of blocks should last more than 8~900 miles.

Sounds about right for general commuting, brake blocks are a relatively soft material.
--
Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

www.catrike.co.uk
Old June 7th 05, 05:59 PM
Peter B

"soup" wrote in message
. uk...

I fully realise this is a "how long is a piece of string" question but
how long/far roughly should a set of blocks last? Had a set on my 'bike
for roughly 8~900 miles and they are through to the metal ("time for a
change" "huh ya think"). Now I am not a speed up to lights then brake
heavily type of guy but surely a set of blocks should last more than
8~900 miles.

My previous road bike had done, at a guess, 40,000 miles over 10 years with
barely any appreciable wear. It was used mainly in fair weather on open
roads requiring little braking.
OTOH I've worn through a set of mtb pads in one wet ride of 30 miles in 5
hours in the Peak District.

So there you have it: any distance between 30 to 40,000 miles and any time
period between 5 hours and 10 years :-)
(Of course the time period can be increased by not riding wheras the
distance wear rate will remain the same ;-)

You really need to let us know when & where you ride.

--
Pete

Old June 7th 05, 06:01 PM
soup

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
"soup" typed

surely a set of blocks
should last more than 8~900 miles.

This does sound like rapid wear.
perhaps because they are
cautious downhill.

Taking all the blocks off I can see the blocks have not worn down evenly
ie one corner has worn away completely whilst the opposite opposite (?)
corner has not worn at all, when I "adjusted " them must have put them
back at an angle hence ¼ worn but unusable . Your right I am "cautious"
downhill but not excessively so.

Have you done much riding in the rain?

Living in Scotland if I didn't ride in the rain I would never cycle at
all. )

--
yours S

Old June 7th 05, 06:15 PM
Buck

On 06/07/2005 17:59:52 "Peter B" wrote:

My previous road bike had done, at a guess, 40,000 miles over 10 years
with barely any appreciable wear. It was used mainly in fair weather on
open roads requiring little braking. OTOH I've worn through a set of mtb
pads in one wet ride of hours in the Peak District.

That was those really old pads that were made of obsidian coal.

Old June 7th 05, 06:45 PM
Zog The Undeniable

soup wrote:

I fully realise this is a "how long is a piece of string" question but
how long/far roughly should a set of blocks last? Had a set on my 'bike
for roughly 8~900 miles and they are through to the metal ("time for a
change" "huh ya think"). Now I am not a speed up to lights then brake
heavily type of guy but surely a set of blocks should last more than
8~900 miles.

I went halfway through a set of 105 rear pads on a wet 60 mile ride. In
dry conditions the wear is at glacial rates. It really depends on the
weather.
Old June 7th 05, 07:06 PM
Peter B

"Buck" wrote in message

On 06/07/2005 17:59:52 "Peter B" wrote:

My previous road bike had done, at a guess, 40,000 miles over 10 years
with barely any appreciable wear. It was used mainly in fair weather on
open roads requiring little braking. OTOH I've worn through a set of mtb
pads in one wet ride of hours in the Peak District.

That was those really old pads that were made of obsidian coal.

Which, the road ones or the mtb ones?

Pete

Old June 7th 05, 07:40 PM
Jeremy Collins

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 18:01:15 +0100, soup wrote:

Taking all the blocks off I can see the blocks have not worn down evenly
ie one corner has worn away completely whilst the opposite opposite (?)
corner has not worn at all, when I "adjusted " them must have put them
back at an angle hence ¼ worn but unusable . Your right I am "cautious"
downhill but not excessively so.

Sounds about right to me, as long as it was the leading corner that's
worn. You're supposed to install them with a bit of toe-in. Maybe you
overdid it - I use a bit of card under the leading edge.

--
jc
Old June 7th 05, 08:01 PM
soup

wrote:

Taking all the blocks off I can see the blocks have not worn down
evenly ie one corner has worn away completely whilst the opposite
opposite (?) corner has not worn at all, when I "adjusted " them
must have put them back at an angle hence ¼ worn but unusable .
Your right I am "cautious" downhill but not excessively so.

Sounds about right to me, as long as it was the leading corner that's
worn. You're supposed to install them with a bit of toe-in. Maybe you
overdid it - I use a bit of card under the leading edge.

Yup brakes were "squeeling" so "adjusted" them to have a little toe-in
obviously over did this, ah well LBS for replacement blocks tommorow.

Will definately try the bit of card but with the brakes being a tad
mobile, when I try to tighten the bolt holding the blocks everything
seems to move about anyone any ideas on tightening bolts on blocks
without the entire brake moving about and what is the general consensus
of using a penny to introduce a gap rather than a piece of card?

--
yours S

Brakes on a 24"? innes Unicycling 17 January 19th 07 06:57 AM
Brake Blocks right and left Allan UK 1 January 10th 05 12:39 PM
Which type of brake blocks? Iain Jones UK 10 April 17th 04 04:10 PM
ICYCLES Inventory List ICYCLES Marketplace 0 July 26th 03 08:25 PM
*Edit Me* - New FAQ addition on brake squeal. ant Techniques 1 July 23rd 03 06:52 AM