Senior Olympics

Old August 4th 04, 05:31 AM
Edward Dolan

Default Senior Olympics

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
The Alaskan Recumbent Princess wrote:

I think you might be a tad confused. A whore ****s for money, a slut

just
****s around and I just say ****. Nothing whorish or slutty about it.
Crude and uncouth certainly. But its crude and uncouth when men do it

as
well....

I can only imagine what Mr. Ed's reaction to the {in)famous picture of
Beth and her two friends would be.

Without having any idea what Mr. Tom might be referring to, I think it would
be best that I never see such a picture if it reflects badly on Beth. I am
having enough trouble trying to get her up to speed on her writing without
getting into her morals.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 4th 04, 07:44 PM
Child

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
LOL, you don't understand jews at all. Its not the WORDS, its the

IDEAS.
Being able to express ideas and debate ideas is key - whether you can

write
"properly" isn't. Its all about verbal debate, not about the written

word.
We jews love to argue. Thus, my love of debating you and others on

usenet.
And I do so in a conversational manner - as if we were speaking. Again,

its
part of my heritage.

Those ideas would not even exist had they not been written down in words

and
then loving preserved by the Jews as their sacred text. Those peoples with
nothing but an oral tradition not only soon disappear from history, but

they
are not even known except for their archeological artifacts. Of course

words
represent ideas, but the words are inseparable from the ideas. It is not
even possible to think without words.

Whats that got to do with the price of asparagus in Minneapolis?

Traditionally, jewish religious education was all about ARGUING VERBALLY
about the torah. Its as simple as that. Its not about writing. Its about
verbal debate.

Conversation is not writing. They are two different things entirely. You

are
writing on Usenet, you are not conversing.
[...]

No...YOU are writing. I am conversing.

I am well respected in this newgroup - far better respected than you

are.
Professionally, I write well, and am well respected by my peers for it.

stand just fine, despite preferring to write newsgroup conversation like
real human interaction.

You know there is at least one person on this group who does not think

much
of you because of your contempt for the written word. There are no doubt
many others here who do not think much of you for this reason also. There
are always costs exacted for defying convention. Those who do not know
better can be excused. Those who know better can never be excused.

Actually, I think its you who is defying convention. Most usenet denizens
recognize this as a casual discussion, not a literary society.

I do not see any relationship between Usenet and real human interaction.

We
are essentially writing letters to one another which the whole world can
read and get in on. It simply boggles my mind that you cannot realize this
and act accordingly (write better). I believe your family of scholars

would
be ashamed of you if they knew you were carrying on in this disgraceful
manner (not writing better).

LOL, and what would yours think about you trying to be "boss of the
internet"? Your imaginary standards aren't reality.

Old August 4th 04, 07:48 PM
Child

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

If it exists, that shoots Beth's idea that words don't much matter and

that
we can treat them with contempt by writing them anyway we want without
observing the conventions.

Nope, thats not my idea at all. My idea is that the ability to express
ideas on usenet isnt' restricted by your ideas about what "good writing"
is.

Old August 5th 04, 05:09 AM
Edward Dolan

"Child" wrote in message

[...]

There has got to be something wrong with the way your brain works.

You are arguing verbally with one another about the written word as it
exists in your sacred texts. Without the written word, none of you would
have anything to say to one another and, in fact, the Jews as a people
would not even exist. It is your sacred texts that have ensured the survival
of the Jews down though history. You tell me why you think you are still
here as a people and the Philistines are not? Without the written word and
the importance that the Jews have given it they would not have survived down
through the ages. You would have gone the way of the Philistines.

Conversation is not writing. They are two different things entirely. You

are
writing on Usenet, you are not conversing.
[...]

No...YOU are writing. I am conversing.

Every time you peck at your keyboard to send a message, you are writing. I
am SEEING what you say, not HEARING what you say. In that lies all the
difference.

[...]

Writing is writing, speaking is speaking. They are two different things.
Most on Usenet should not be here in the first place because they do not
know how to write. But you do and so I hold you culpable.

I do not see any relationship between Usenet and real human interaction.

We
are essentially writing letters to one another which the whole world can
read and get in on. It simply boggles my mind that you cannot realize

this
and act accordingly (write better). I believe your family of scholars

would
be ashamed of you if they knew you were carrying on in this disgraceful
manner (not writing better).

LOL, and what would yours think about you trying to be "boss of the
internet"? Your imaginary standards aren't reality.

I send these messages of mine to my brother and sister for their amusement
and education. Maybe you should do likewise. You might be shocked at what
your parents and your brother think of how you are conducting yourself here.

Any standards I appeal to are not my standards but the standards that have
prevailed for hundreds of years among all those with a minimum of education.
I cannot believe that a person of Jewish heritage would purposely run the
written word into the ground when the Jews are preeminently the people of
the Book.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 5th 04, 05:18 AM
Edward Dolan

"Child" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

If it exists, that shoots Beth's idea that words don't much matter and

that
we can treat them with contempt by writing them anyway we want without
observing the conventions.

Nope, thats not my idea at all. My idea is that the ability to express
ideas on usenet isnt' restricted by your ideas about what "good writing"

They are not my ideas but the ideas of all minimally educated persons who
believe that culture counts for something in this world.

Actually, I detect that you are writing somewhat better now than formerly.
All you need do is mind a few p's and q's and you will almost be up to the
mark. You do not ever want to be where slugger is at, do you?

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 5th 04, 06:47 PM
Rasmus M?ller

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message ...
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

Do you not recall what I said about the Jews being the people of the

Book.
There is nothing in that Book except words. Without the Book, the Jews

would
most likely not even exist today. They would have gone extinct long ago

with
all those other ancient peoples....

snip

I remember a phrase from my Bible studies in another lifetime (we Catholics
are not big on the Bible) about the importance of the word. I think it went
something like this: "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with
God, and the word was God."

I wonder if I am just imagining this or if it exists somewhere in the Bible.

If it exists, that shoots Beth's idea that words don't much matter and that
we can treat them with contempt by writing them anyway we want without
observing the conventions.

Hello,

The passage is the beginning of the Gospel of St. John.
As such, Jews (except the few christian ones) are not likely
to recognize it to speak with any authority to them.

Btw. I believe that for many centuries the Torah was passed on
orally, and the Jews would thus train and value exact memorizing
very much. It was finally written down in Greek in Alexandria in
Egypt, because the large Jewish community there did not speak Hebrew.

yours truly

Rasmus Møller
(yet another dane, Lutheran)
Old August 5th 04, 07:48 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On 5 Aug 2004 10:47:52 -0700, (Rasmus M?ller)
wrote:

The passage is the beginning of the Gospel of St. John.
As such, Jews (except the few christian ones) are not likely
to recognize it to speak with any authority to them.

And in most editions it is capitalized and refers to use of Word back
to its early mystical force. Far more likely to be akin to the awe of
the spoken references to the mystical than any written source.

Interestingly, the Word is often considered to also be a feminine
aspect of the Trinity (in the case of faiths believing in the Trinity)
or God nature, for those either Unitarian or pantheisitic. The passage
mentioned is a primary passage of the Wisdom Goddess or the Sophia
Tradition.

FWIW, it also has counterparts in Jewish mystical thought, although
it splits the equivalent of the Word into Chokhman, Binah and Da'at,
whch are respectively masculine, feminine and the child. The first is
the unknowable source of wisdom, the second the receptacle (and
transmitter) of wisdom and the third is knowledge. I personally would
equate the second most easily with the Word in most Trinitarian
thought and with the Greek Wisdom concept, but not so much that I
would argue the point against anyone that seemed to have spent more
time on the subject...

So, yes, some Jews would certainly be able to argue the concept with
some degree of authority. Also, FWIW, much of the above, especially
the Jewish Kabbalah, were primarily oral tradition - to refer back to
another part of the thread, if I understood what the discussion was
about.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old August 5th 04, 07:54 PM
Child

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

Traditionally, jewish religious education was all about ARGUING VERBALLY
about the torah. Its as simple as that. Its not about writing. Its

about
verbal debate.

There has got to be something wrong with the way your brain works.

Actually, i think its that you just aren't getting it.

You are arguing verbally with one another about the written word as it
exists in your sacred texts. Without the written word, none of you would
have anything to say to one another and, in fact, the Jews as a people
would not even exist. It is your sacred texts that have ensured the

survival
of the Jews down though history. You tell me why you think you are still
here as a people and the Philistines are not? Without the written word and
the importance that the Jews have given it they would not have survived

down
through the ages. You would have gone the way of the Philistines.

Yes, Jews argue about how to interpret the Torah. But its the ability to
form that verbal argument thats revered - its what was considered education
traditionally.

No...YOU are writing. I am conversing.

Every time you peck at your keyboard to send a message, you are writing. I
am SEEING what you say, not HEARING what you say. In that lies all the
difference.

There are many professional writers who have conversational, informal
styles, yet they still write. How could that possibly be, Eddie?

Actually, I think its you who is defying convention. Most usenet

denizens
recognize this as a casual discussion, not a literary society.

Writing is writing, speaking is speaking. They are two different things.
Most on Usenet should not be here in the first place because they do not
know how to write. But you do and so I hold you culpable.

I thought you said I didn't know how to write, eddie?

LOL, and what would yours think about you trying to be "boss of the
internet"? Your imaginary standards aren't reality.

I send these messages of mine to my brother and sister for their amusement
and education. Maybe you should do likewise. You might be shocked at what
your parents and your brother think of how you are conducting yourself

here.

My mother, brother and I converse via email frequently. Its informal, full
of half sentences. No need to type full ones.

Any standards I appeal to are not my standards but the standards that have
prevailed for hundreds of years among all those with a minimum of

education.
I cannot believe that a person of Jewish heritage would purposely run the
written word into the ground when the Jews are preeminently the people of
the Book.

You know as much about jews as you do about women, Eddie.

Old August 5th 04, 07:56 PM
Child

"Child" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

If it exists, that shoots Beth's idea that words don't much matter and

that
we can treat them with contempt by writing them anyway we want without
observing the conventions.

Nope, thats not my idea at all. My idea is that the ability to express
ideas on usenet isnt' restricted by your ideas about what "good writing"

They are not my ideas but the ideas of all minimally educated persons who
believe that culture counts for something in this world.

I am certainly minimally eduated, and its not my idea. Evidentally, you
need to stop speaking for ALL minimally educated persons, because some of us
find you full of ****.

Actually, I detect that you are writing somewhat better now than formerly.
All you need do is mind a few p's and q's and you will almost be up to the
mark. You do not ever want to be where slugger is at, do you?

I have no idea who or what "slugger" is, so maybe.

Old August 5th 04, 07:57 PM
Child

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Curtis - you apparently know far more about my religious history than
i do!