Riding in the rain with glasses - ideas?

Old November 24th 04, 06:41 AM
slugbath

Default Riding in the rain with glasses - ideas?

I went for a great ride around the city in the rain today.
Unfortunately, I couldn't see a thing for the last couple of kilometers
because my glasses were totally fogged up and covered with raindrops,
and the headlights from the cars were creating this wild blur in front
of my face. Strangely,the wet finds my glasses a lot quicker on a uni
compared to a bike, possibly because of the differing posture. Short of
laser surgery or contacts, what do bespeckled folks do to keep their
vision in a downpour? Any recommendations for keeping lenses a bit more
clear?

Thanks,
andrea

--
slugbath - Falling from grace
slugbath's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/432

Old November 24th 04, 06:45 AM
andrew_carter

Windscreen wipers for you glasses.

I don't wear glasses (although I think I'm meant to) but is there
something you can apply to the surface of them that won't damage them
but will stop the water from catching on them...make it slide right
off?

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - Unicycling because it's really fun!

carter.andrew (at) gmail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com

Old November 24th 04, 06:53 AM
tomblackwood

I have the same problem, and haven't yet found a great solution. What I
do--less than ideal--is keep a cotton handkerchief inside the pocket of
my rain jacket, and pull this out quickly from time to time for a quick
attempt at drying the lenses.

I have thought about applying "Rainex" to my lenses just to experiment,
but haven't actually tried it yet. It has a wild effect on car
windshields. You can drive in heavy rain with no wipers, and the water
just beads up and gets blown off.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

Old November 24th 04, 08:46 AM
GizmoDuck

I wear glasses too- It's usually Ok during the day- I but at the 24hr
races I've done it gets fogged up and very difficult to see through at
night. The best thing I've found it so use antistatic lens cleaner and
just wipe it through the glasses regularly. It really decreases the
muck/fog build up dramatically. Water on the glasses isn't actually too
bad- it tends to wash run off leaving just a few drops. It's when you
have small droplets beading (ie from fog) on them or globs or smears of
mud that make it difficult to see through. One solution is to have a
small bottle of water to wash over your glasses-- gets rid of the muck.
Otherwise a clean glove (rare) or a clean cloth to regularly wipe the
muck off is useful (in combination with the antistatic lens cleaner).

I've also got a peak on my helmet but I don't think it helps that much.

--
GizmoDuck - NZUNI

o-kO
'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)

'NZ Herald Article' (http://tinyurl.com/54xmj)
'Vietnam/Cambodia Unitour pics' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuv31)

Old November 24th 04, 12:42 PM
brian.slater

GizmoDuck wrote:
*I've also got a peak on my helmet but I don't think it helps that
much. *

As you are Gizmo-duck- wouldn't that be a -beak- or, in your case, a
-bill-?

--
brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

Old November 24th 04, 02:01 PM
GILD

get contacts

cut a potato in half and rub that on the inside of your glasses' lens
it helps stop the fogging/misting up of your glasses
(this also works on the inside of your car windscreen)
u can have a permanent coating applied to the front of your glasses that
is very simmilar to 'Rain-X'
just applying 'Rain-X' should work
wearing a sweatband is very 80's but it also helps prevent sweat from
running into your eyes and it also helps eliminate some of the
foggin/misting

but trust me on the contacts

--
GILD - Waffle-Tosser and Time-bider

if you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.--
alice 'roosevelt' (http://tinyurl.com/5ngze) longworth
i feel like a fugitive from the law of averages.-- william h. mauldin
'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
'Dave' (http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)

Old November 24th 04, 02:34 PM
Tellurider

I have used Rainex and it works great. And I have used it on plastic
lenses without any problems. It also works great for your glases while
swimming.

--
Tellurider - Dan Wilson

Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly
Tellurider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4972

Old November 24th 04, 03:50 PM
U-Turn

Contacts work great, especially for MUni in those steamy conditions
where you have to see the ground clearly to be able to ride.

However, to keep the rain off your eyes in general, use a helmet with a
visor, and then purchase a rain cover for the helmet. It is a stretchy
waterproof shower-cappish thing, but looks way cooler. That keeps the
rain off your head and also seals up the visor.

Here's one example:

'Rain cover' (http://circlecitybicycles.com/helmetc.htm)

Another:

'Rain cover alternate brand' (http://tinyurl.com/6ofoh)

Yet another:

'Alternate #2' (http://tinyurl.com/5lx4o)

Some people use shower caps, and some the 'new Saran Wrap Quick Cover
things' (http://www.saranbrand.com/quickcovers.asp).

Another advantage of a helmet cover is that it is a very good way to add
warmth to your helmet for colder months, but you still get some good
ventilation.

--
U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

Old November 24th 04, 03:56 PM
forrestunifreak

Just wear a hat-A regular old baseball cap kinda hat.

--
forrestunifreak - Rural street unicyclist.

You can either agree with me,or be wrong.

Old November 24th 04, 09:23 PM
gerblefranklin

I got this idea from my days on a swim team. I just spit on my glasses,
rub it around, and wipe off the excess stuff, and I'm set. This kept my
goggles fog-free for about 2 hours of non-stop swimming. It also works
for my glasses, although my bigger problem is the salt from sweat
crusting up on the glasses. Oftentimes I just ignore it. Try spitting on
them, though. It's cheap, biodegradable, and reusable. Not to mention
edible!

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

"When we hang the capitalists they will sell us the rope we use." "It is
enough that the people know there was an election. The people who cast
the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide
everything." - Joseph Stalin