New kind of bike seat

Old December 15th 04, 12:50 PM
Bruce Gilbert

Default New kind of bike seat

I may have found something valuable at the bike show that could be an answer
for some of your customers:

At Interbike there was a saddle at a booth a few rows away from us that
caught my attention. It is called an Un-Saddle. I just got one to try out.
It looks like the back half of a seat. The seat is mounted to its own
(proprietary)seatpost with a swivel arrangement. I put it on one of my
roadbikes to try out. I think it may be an answer for the saddle pressure
issue. After the first few 50 mile rides, there was no crotch contact
whatsoever that I recalled. I mean, you can reach all the way down and
around.

Obtaining a proper bike fit is a bit different than with a conventional
seat. The lineup points are in a different spot. However, it can be done.
Since there is no nose, you can get the feeling of rolling off the front. I
don't think I would use this thing for mountain biking or road racing. All
too often you will want to grip the seat to maneuver the bike. This seat
won't permit that, there is nothing to hold on to. I don't feel riding
without hands is safe with this seat. I can usually ride without hands
easily on a regular saddle.

Now for the reason I am posting this. I have a couple of customers who had
prostate surgeries. They want to ride a bike, but cannot right now. There is
some sort of urine pump/appliance that they have to use since the surgery.
When they sit in a regular bike seat, it works the pump. I had both of them
try out this new seat on a trainer and it appears to work acceptably.

I just found out there are numerous urologists here in Houston that are
studying the bike seat alternatives right now. I am going to contact them
for a more qualified opinion that I can render. I'll post some of their
findings as we go along.

The seats are pretty expensive compared to regular ones. But, for folks with
no other workable alternative, a pricy solution is better than nothing at
all...

Did anyone else catch a look at this thing at the show? I know they
displayed at the outdoor demo as well because a few bikes went past our
booth. The seats swinging back and forth caught my attention.

Bruce

Old December 15th 04, 01:58 PM
Chris Dorn

Bruce Gilbert wrote:
[...]

So let me guess at 196.00 euros, and you writing an article just one
post ahead of your endorsement, you're the owner?
Wow really expensive and for only half a seat!
Chris
Old December 15th 04, 02:36 PM
psycholist

"Chris Dorn" wrote in message
Bruce Gilbert wrote:
[...]

I think the OP presented a fair and balanced appraisal. He acknowledged the
shortcomings, the priciness and the fact that he didn't see it being
appropriate for various types of riding.

I thought the post was a nice service to folks who may have had prostate
surgery who might find this product a key to getting back into cycling.

Even if it is a shameless plug, it's not so shameless as shameless plugs go.
--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Old December 15th 04, 05:43 PM

Bruce Gilbert wrote:

I just found out there are numerous urologists here in Houston that

are
studying the bike seat alternatives right now. I am going to contact

them
for a more qualified opinion that I can render. I'll post some of

their
findings as we go along.

The seats are pretty expensive compared to regular ones. But, for

folks with
no other workable alternative, a pricy solution is better than

nothing at
all...

Bruce

Seats like this have been around for 110 years. They appear at shows
and/or on infomercials every couple years, but never catch on since
they appeal to a very limited market- cyclists who will put up with an
expensive seat that requires a radically changed position and reduces
the controllability of the bike. It seems to me that most people would
rather give up riding.

Jeff

Old December 15th 04, 06:26 PM
davidd86

I would think it would make the bike pretty dangerous at speed. I mean
the seat is what you push off of/balance with/etc. Kind of.

Don't those saddles with a hole in the middle basically work? I have
never tried one, but isn't that basically what they're for? Just a
plain saddle -- in my case a Rolls -- has proven over the years to work
best and I think all the plumbing is no worse for the wear.

All I can say is, even the slightest, slightest change to a saddle can
be really unworkable ... I just can't see how you could ride with
these, if I understand your description correctly.

Old December 15th 04, 06:32 PM
Bruce Gilbert

"Chris Dorn" wrote in message
Bruce Gilbert wrote:
[...]

Actually I have no interest in sales or endorsement. I just thought it may
be a valuable item for some of the experts on the NG to be able to suggest,
just in case they run into someone with a post surgical sitting problem...

Sorry if I offended anyone with my post.

Bruce

Old December 15th 04, 06:39 PM
Bruce Gilbert

"davidd86" wrote in message

I would think it would make the bike pretty dangerous at speed. I mean
the seat is what you push off of/balance with/etc. Kind of.

Don't those saddles with a hole in the middle basically work? I have
never tried one, but isn't that basically what they're for? Just a
plain saddle -- in my case a Rolls -- has proven over the years to work
best and I think all the plumbing is no worse for the wear.

All I can say is, even the slightest, slightest change to a saddle can
be really unworkable ... I just can't see how you could ride with
these, if I understand your description correctly.

Riding on the flats it is rather stable. I think the major problem comes in
doing single-track, especially a fast descent down a rocky grade. On the
other hand, how many recovering patients are going to do that? I think most
of those guys would be thrilled to just go out and ride in comfort.

Am I going to use the seat as my regular? Probably not. Will the guys with
the surgery and pump use it... happily.

Bruce

Old December 15th 04, 08:10 PM

OK-WHERE'S THE LINK AND PHOTO?

Old December 15th 04, 08:39 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Actually I have no interest in sales or endorsement. I just thought
it may be a valuable item for some of the experts on the NG to be
able to suggest, just in case they run into someone with a post
surgical sitting problem...

Sorry if I offended anyone with my post.

Bruce

Don't worry... some here are just trolls and retro-grouches waiting to
pounce on any information with the slightest hint of having a commercial
interest, whether it exists or not.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old December 15th 04, 08:41 PM