Armstrong divorce

Old September 5th 03, 10:01 AM
Gilberto Simoni

Default Armstrong divorce

AUSTIN AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Wednesday, September 3, 2003

Lance Armstrong and wife Kristin have decided to end their five-year
marriage, the five-time Tour de France champion said Wednesday.

Lance Armstrong said the couple separated two weeks ago, soon after
they moved back to Austin from their European home in Girona, Spain.
They are currently in mediation to work out a divorce settlement and
are maintaining separate homes in Central Austin.

"We both have (legal) representation, and we're doing this
peacefully," Lance Armstrong said. "The craziest thing is, we're
closer now and better friends than ever before.

"We're truly committed to maintaining a good relationship, but not a
marriage."

"It's an unfortunate situation," Kristin Armstrong said. "We are
making the best of it for the sake of our kids."

The two first separated in late January, announcing their split
publicly a month later. Lance Armstrong, 31, then left for his home in
Girona, where he lives during the cycling season.

A month later, Kristin, 32, and the couple's three young children
followed, and the couple decided to go through counseling in an effort
to salvage their marriage.

Kristin, 3-year-old Luke and 22-month-old twins Isabelle and Grace
were with Lance in Paris on July 27 to celebrate his record-tying
fifth straight Tour victory. They left Paris together and spent time
on a family vacation before returning to Austin late last month.

On Sunday, Lance Armstrong, along with the three children, made his
first public appearance in Austin since his latest Tour victory. He
tossed the coin before the season opener for the University of Texas
football team at Royal-Memorial Stadium. Kristin Armstrong was not
with her husband and the children.

The Armstrongs have been one of the highest-profile couples in
international sports. Their story — his overcoming testicular cancer,
her efforts to have children, their fund-raising for cancer-related
issues — has inspired thousands of cancer survivors. Kristin met Lance
in January 1997, weeks after he had completed intense chemotherapy to
treat his advanced testicular cancer.

The two started dating in June 1997 and were married 11 months later.
Soon, they began talking about starting a family. Because Lance's
cancer treatments could have made him sterile, he banked his sperm
before his chemotherapy. All three children were born through in vitro
fertilization.

Kristin kept a diary chronicling the process on her husband's Web
site. Luke was born in October 1999, three months after Lance won his
first Tour. The twins were born in November 2001.

Lance and Kristin Armstrong said they will remain in Austin after the
divorce.

"The kids are our first priority," he said. "We're also going to be
respectful of each other. Neither of us wants to get in the situation
where when we drop off the kids, we can't look at each other."

The Armstrongs' announcement came on the same day the U.S. House of
Representatives unanimously congratulated him on his latest Tour
victory.

"This distinguished body is recognizing the inspirational Lance
Armstrong and his unbelievable courage, grit and determination," said
U.S. Rep. Tom Davis, R-Va.
Old September 5th 03, 01:32 PM
smiles

"Gilberto Simoni" wrote in message
om...
"The kids are our first priority," he said.

I wonder what Dr. Laura would say about this;-)

Seems like bicycles are the first priority ...

http://boardnbike.com

Old September 5th 03, 06:41 PM
Robert Chung

David Off wrote:
Allegedly old 'one-ball' was caught slipping it to the podium girls on
the last two TdFs. The podium girls (the cutesy ones dressed in
yellow) work for Credit Lyonnais, a bank that has just been fined 625
million USD by a court in New York. The fine will be paid by the
French tax payer, that is around 11 dollars for every French person.
So you could say that the French has been stiffed twice by the
Americans :-).

Yes, that's a lot of money: it represents 4 full days of the US
involvement in Iraq. Some of the French I've talked to say that if
(actually, when) they do go in to help, they should hold out for an extra
4 days.

Old September 5th 03, 08:01 PM
Carl Sundquist

"David Off" wrote in message

Allegedly old 'one-ball' was caught slipping it to the podium girls on
the last two TdFs.
Anyway the podium girl story might explain Lance's lack of energy in
this year's tour.

The same accusation was made of Hincapie here on rbr several weeks ago.

Old September 5th 03, 08:02 PM
Carl Sundquist

"Marlene Blanshay" wrote in message

Oh really, like everyone else remains celibate for three weeks? This is FRANCE!

Two words:

Sean Kelly

Old September 5th 03, 08:18 PM
Tom Paterson

From: "Carl Sundquist"

Are there still nudie pics of Dr. Laura on the web? Not that I'm interested
in seeing
them, but to put her values into a frame of reference.

http://www.pencilnecks.com/Laura.htm

From the smiles, I guess these would be from when she was still relatively
happy with her body. 'Scuse me, gotta go clean my hard drive in case the Feds
knock on the door. --TP
Old September 5th 03, 08:31 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 14:01:42 -0500, Carl Sundquist wrote:
The same accusation was made of Hincapie here on rbr several weeks ago.

No speakena English very well; is it still an accusation if it's true?
Old September 5th 03, 09:40 PM
Kurgan Gringioni

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message

"David Off" wrote in message

Allegedly old 'one-ball' was caught slipping it to the podium girls on
the last two TdFs.
Anyway the podium girl story might explain Lance's lack of energy in
this year's tour.

The same accusation was made of Hincapie here on rbr several weeks ago.

I talked to someone who had dinner with Landis and Hincapie recently.
Apparently the podium girl is his deal. When I told him that some on rbr were
trying to insinuate that George is gay, he said I could use his name here,
but I'm not going to do that.

As for as Mr. Off's Dumbass speculation, there's not a chance in hell that
LANCE could get away with kissing and hanging out with a podium girl at the
TdF without the press making a very big fuss.

Old September 6th 03, 12:32 AM
Nick Burns

"Ewoud Dronkert" wrote in message
l.nl...
On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 14:01:42 -0500, Carl Sundquist wrote:
The same accusation was made of Hincapie here on rbr several weeks ago.

No speakena English very well; is it still an accusation if it's true?

Yes.