CVT interest

Old June 20th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing

Default Banana Bike ride statistics [was CVT interest]

Bill Bushnell wrote:
For those who don't have MS Excel, I've created two PDF files of the two
Excel worksheets:

Pursuit (Banana Bike): http://tinyurl.com/zald3
Gold Rush: http://tinyurl.com/lyx74

The average heart rate column is identical on both sheets. Is that right
or did you miss a cut 'n paste operation?

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

One of the most time-consuming things is to have an enemy. -E.B. White,
writer (1899-1985)
Old June 21st 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing

In rec.bicycles.racing Robert Chung wrote:
Bill Bushnell wrote:

Unfortunately, I have don't have the "pro" model, just a more recent
"standard" model (yellow case), so I have no way of retreiving the data
log, just the averages given on the computer display. I do have a
cadence meter on both the PT and my other bike computer.

The standard model should still let you download.

Graber have told me I need to buy an additional $300 hardware/software package to
download the raw data. I bought the system (used) for that much and hadn't planned on
budgeting another $300 for the project.

The Pro and standard hubs are identical (except for color): the difference
is in the head unit. The Pro has the option of using conventional wired
(rather than "virtual") cadence: see
http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/watt...ils.html#speed
for a discussion of the PT's virtual cadence.

I've never noticed the cadence display swinging wildly as your graph shows, but then
maybe the display is damped.

I have noticed that the average speed is calculated incorrectly. It gives the correct
number if one never stops. But, instead of stopping the clock when speed reaches zero,
I suspect it keeps the clock running or continues to update the average speed buffer
until the unit goes to sleep. I tried to inform Graber of this bug, but I was not
convinced that they understood my complaint or that they considered it to be a bug.
They told me that most customers pay more attention to the raw downloaded data.
Oddly, the riding time is caluclated correctly. To their credit they did replace my
old head unit with a new one at no charge when I sent the hub and head unit back to
them for an overhaul and inspection.

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/
Old June 21st 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing

In article , dvt
wrote:

Bill Bushnell wrote:
For those who don't have MS Excel, I've created two PDF files of the two
Excel worksheets:

Pursuit (Banana Bike): http://tinyurl.com/zald3
Gold Rush: http://tinyurl.com/lyx74

The average heart rate column is identical on both sheets. Is that right
or did you miss a cut 'n paste operation?

It would be an amazing coincidence. Cut 'n paste error. It's fixed
now. Thanks.

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/
Old June 21st 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing

Bill Bushnell wrote:

Graber have told me I need to buy an additional $300 hardware/software
package to download the raw data.

Yikes. That sounds excessive. I can understand why you wouldn't want to do
that.

My method of estimating CdA requires that you have access to the
downloaded data, so you're stuck with finding the right (flat windless)
venue. You need to find someone who'll get you an hour at Hellyer. Or into
the SLAC.

I have noticed that the average speed is calculated incorrectly. It
gives the correct number if one never stops.

That's selectable on the Pro and SL. I guess CycleOps considers it a
feature, not a bug.

Old June 23rd 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing

Default CVT interest

I think you are sort of reinventing the wheel a bit. I would just
simply approach the guy on (http://www.andersoncvt.com/ ) and adapt his
tech. He designed the technology for his bicycle but has been meeting
with auto companies since because they have more $$$. He has two
different CVT designs one with a dual-cone another with a variable
diameter pulley. I don't think he has had any approaches for a bicycle
version which would naturally be closer to his heart.

wrote:
Ted Bennett wrote:
wrote:

I am curious about the amount of interest out there in both the
recreation/commuting community and the racing community for a true CVT
a manual gear system that had infinite variability, the same gear range
as a 27 speed system, no loss in efficiency and no weight gain. What
do you think?

I think it would be terrific, if it really had no efficiency loss and no
weight penalty. However, there is nothing yet available that comes
close to meeting that standard.

I also think that you are some sort of troll, because you are writing
anonymously about some scheme to get cyclists to transfer money to you.

I think you should be more upfront. Do you have some links or detailed
descriptions of the mechanism?

--
Ted Bennett

I am in the process of developing such a device. I was trying to get
an idea of the market interest before I begin funding the prototype, as
I am funding the project with my own money. I did not post that to
begin with because I wanted responces about a desire for the concept,
not a debate about weather or not people think I actually have a design
that works. I will not post a description of the mechanism. Thanks
for your responce.

Tim Knodel

Old June 23rd 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing

I think "infinite variability" is ultimately what will kill you (unless
the rider can easily create custom settings). Otherwise, a racer would
spend so much time dicking around, trying to find the "perfect" gear,
he'd likely get dropped by any number of riders who were slightly
overgeared on a climb.

I think infinite variability is overrated. Solid functionality,
flawless performance and low weight will draw people.

Then again, the marketing "psyche" of Americans, will always reign
supreme. If you have one more available gear than your competitor, for
the same price, you'll win.

The next question is: Will they buy it from YOU? You might want to
travel to Campy or Shimano, have them sign NDA's and then offer each of
them a chance to buy it from you.

Old June 23rd 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing

In article
. com,

wrote:
I am curious about the amount of interest out there in both the
recreation/commuting community and the racing community for a true CVT
a manual gear system that had infinite variability, the same gear range
as a 27 speed system, no loss in efficiency and no weight gain. What
do you think?

We could use a light, inexpensive, reliable,
92%*efficient, discrete gear system from 1:2 to 4:1 in 5%
steps for 48 gears; except Jobst who wants 12 gears in
6.5% steps from 1.9 to 3.8.

--
Michael Press