dogs?

Old February 23rd 05, 04:56 PM
Raptor

I believe a search of the archives (rec.bicycles.*) will reveal at least
one story of some biker getting chewed up. I remember seeing at least
one over the years.

Dogs are a fine motivation for a sprint. Bring on the greyhounds, I say!
(When I'm on my road bike, that is.) I've never had to outrun one on a
hill though. And riding in urban/suburban or very sparsely populated
rural areas, it's been a very long time since I came across a
hostile-seeming dog.

I won't bother with pepper spray - not a justifiable cost/benefit.
Countermeasures for me when I can't get away are the water bottle, then
the frame pump, then anything else that comes to hand, then the bike itself.

I have heard that in extremis, if you grab a pair (presumably, both
front) of the dog's legs and pull apart hard, it will kill the dog.

"We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

Old February 24th 05, 02:58 AM
Gregg

Default dogs?

as a newbie, just curious to see how some of you
handle the occasional neighborhood dog.

The other evening was on my typical after work
ride. Coming off a horse trail and onto a bike
path. Could see a couple schnauzers up ahead.
They spotted me and started a full run. The only
choice I had was to head straight into them, ala
playing chicken.... Any rate, both dogs ran off sideways
as I approached, and then quickly circled behind
to start the chase. By then, I had a good head of
steam. The little guys kept after me for over a
1/2 mile. Couldn't believe it! If they were larger
dogs, like dobermans or german sheppards, no way could
I have pulled away.

Just curious what some of you have done with a more
serious situation? carry pepper spray? a little
air horn or something like that?

first time I came across this. To be honest, never
envisioned this being an issue.

thx.

-Gregg
Old February 24th 05, 03:02 AM
Dan

"Gregg" [email protected] wrote in message
news[email protected]...
[...]

Interesting discussion, I would imagine they're chasing you like you're a
car. Once they catch one they don't know what to do with it.

I always take my dogs with me when I go riding as it's the only time they
get a good run off the leads, they tend to follow rather than chase -
perhaps the schnauzers knew how to handle bikes too?

dan

Old February 24th 05, 03:14 AM
Gregg

Interesting discussion, I would imagine they're chasing you like you're a
car. Once they catch one they don't know what to do with it.

I always take my dogs with me when I go riding as it's the only time they
get a good run off the leads, they tend to follow rather than chase -
perhaps the schnauzers knew how to handle bikes too?

dan

to be honest, I don't think the little guys were intent on hurting me.
They might have been lost, or as you noted, comfortable with handling
bikes.

any rate, not sure how I would have handled a sheppard or other large dog.

something I never thought about when I started riding again. How to
handle a mean dog......

Old February 24th 05, 03:15 AM
Ride-A-Lot

Gregg wrote:
[...]

LOL! I have three of those little guys.

1. If they were miniature schnauzers, they are terriers. Their natural
instinct is to chase.

2. Terriers in general are not the most obedient dogs. They should
have been fenced or on a leash. Mine would run and never come back.

3. If they caught you, they probably would have licked you until you
cried uncle.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old February 24th 05, 03:19 AM
Gregg

LOL! I have three of those little guys.

1. If they were miniature schnauzers, they are terriers. Their natural
instinct is to chase.

2. Terriers in general are not the most obedient dogs. They should
have been fenced or on a leash. Mine would run and never come back.

3. If they caught you, they probably would have licked you until you
cried uncle.

shame on their owners!!! cute dogs. They had a blueish/grey coat.
stood somewhere between 10-12 inches at the shoulder. Gotta admit,
they sure loved to run, and pretty quick too.

Got home and told Wifey I had one of my "better" workouts that day.

didn't tell her I had two savage beasts tearing after me.....

:-)
Old February 24th 05, 03:22 AM
Slacker

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:15:08 -0500, Ride-A-Lot =

wrote:

3. If they caught you, they probably would have licked you until you =

=

cried

You mean like Chuckles :-p
-- =

Slacker
Old February 24th 05, 03:27 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-24, Gregg penned:

to be honest, I don't think the little guys were intent on hurting me. They
might have been lost, or as you noted, comfortable with handling bikes.

any rate, not sure how I would have handled a sheppard or other large dog.

something I never thought about when I started riding again. How to handle
a mean dog......

I remember reading a number of discussions about this on the team estrogen
(women's cycling) forums. No one had a pat answer. Some carry pepper spray
or similar. Some have outridden the dog. I think a few have mentioned that,
if all else fails, you can put your bike between yourself and the dog, but I
doubt that would be very effective. At least so far, I've never heard of a
dog-chasing-bike situation in which the dog actually injured the rider, but
I'm sure it happens.

I imagine I'd only ride away if I thought I could outdistance the dog. On a
long downhill, that would probably be a safe bet, but I don't know about other
situations. Fleeing just triggers their chase response. Then again, if it's
already triggered ...

I really hope you never find yourself in a situation where a dangerous dog
wants to hurt you, on a bike or otherwise. I get nervous enough just riding
between cows (some of the paths I ride include areas where the cattle wander
across the path).

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain
Old February 24th 05, 03:54 AM
MattB

Gregg wrote:
[...]

I used to get chased every time I left on a ride by some little terrier
from a house down the street. He'd literally nip at my ankles and had
and expression and made sounds like it wanted to kill me.
I'd see the owner in the yard sometimes and one time I said "I'm going
to kick him if he tries to bite me!" and he yelled back "Good! Please
do!". But this dog had been kicked before and he was lightning fast,
darting around the back and going for the achilles when I'd unclip and
try to line him up. Finally I had to try the quick side jab and landed
one. He rolled a few times into the grass and just came up running but I
managed to pull away.
They went through all kinds of fences but inevitably he'd get out and
chase me every now and then. Mean little *******...

Matt
Old February 24th 05, 04:04 AM
tcmedara

MattB wrote:
Gregg wrote:
[...]

Once it became a regular event I'd have to invest in a can of pepper spray.
I love dogs and have had them all my life, which actually makes me fairly
intolerant of animals that aren't well behaved. Too bad the dog has to
suffer since the owners are the delinquent ones, but it's not the owner
sinking his teeth into my leg either. Not sure it's an AKC approved
training aid, but I'm sure a dose of spray on a dog would produce some
lasting learnin'

Tom

Reagent grade ammonia to repel dogs? David Pintos General 22 September 24th 04 12:29 AM
Dealing with dogs? Tumbleweed UK 30 June 21st 04 05:49 PM
Frickin' hunters bomba Mountain Biking 24 December 19th 03 11:09 PM
Dogs GABIKE General 56 October 3rd 03 05:59 AM
Anybody Use Scooters or the Springer with your dogs? DB Recumbent Biking 3 August 8th 03 01:07 AM