Octalink BB: Dura-Ace 7700 or Ultegra 6500

Old February 3rd 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RS

Default Octalink BB: Dura-Ace 7700 or Ultegra 6500

I acquired an octalink Ritchey Compact crank I'm going to install on an
older Cannondale. I have both a DA-7700 BB and an Ultegra-6500 BB.
DA s about 65 grams lighter but I just cruise. The DA-7700 isn't sealed
as nicely as the Ultegra. Has anyone found the DA-7700 needs more
maintenance and period cleaning and regreasing? Or any other thoughts
on this. Thanks Rick

Old February 3rd 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Ruff

No personal experience with DA, but others have noted that it needs a
*lot* of maintenance if you ride in wet conditions. Ultegra's last
~10-30K miles it seems... zero maintenance.

Old February 4th 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dave

On Feb 3, 12:41 pm, RS wrote:
I acquired an octalink Ritchey Compact crank I'm going to install on an
older Cannondale. I have both a DA-7700 BB and an Ultegra-6500 BB.
DA s about 65 grams lighter but I just cruise. The DA-7700 isn't sealed
as nicely as the Ultegra. Has anyone found the DA-7700 needs more
maintenance and period cleaning and regreasing? Or any other thoughts
on this. Thanks Rick

If weight's not a concern and you don't like tinkering or live in a
rainy area, use the Ultegra. The DA also requires a special tool.

Personally, I love my DA 7700 BBs, and on one bike I went two entire
seasons without an overhaul (maybe 10k miles). When I pulled it out
the bearing grease was clean. This is in So Cal with minimal wet
riding, so YMMV.

Old February 4th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Feb 3, 1:41 pm, RS wrote:
I acquired an octalink Ritchey Compact crank I'm going to install on an
older Cannondale. I have both a DA-7700 BB and an Ultegra-6500 BB.
DA s about 65 grams lighter but I just cruise. The DA-7700 isn't sealed
as nicely as the Ultegra. Has anyone found the DA-7700 needs more
maintenance and period cleaning and regreasing? Or any other thoughts
on this. Thanks Rick

W/o doubt, The DA BB was poorly sealed, draggy, very diffucult to
adjust. Upgrading to the 6500 is best.

Old February 4th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Derk

Ron Ruff wrote:

No personal experience with DA, but others have noted that it needs a
*lot* of maintenance if you ride in wet conditions. Ultegra's last
~10-30K miles it seems... zero maintenance.

A friend of mine has an old 8 speed bike with a Shimano 600 group and never
changed the BB in 100.000 miles. He's a lightweight guy and makes more
rpm's than I do. I think that influences the longevity of a BB in a big
way.

Gr, Derk
Old February 4th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

RS wrote:
I acquired an octalink Ritchey Compact crank I'm going to install on an
older Cannondale. I have both a DA-7700 BB and an Ultegra-6500 BB.
DA s about 65 grams lighter but I just cruise. The DA-7700 isn't sealed
as nicely as the Ultegra. Has anyone found the DA-7700 needs more
maintenance and period cleaning and regreasing? Or any other thoughts
on this. Thanks Rick

the "fit and forget" solution is definitely ultegra, but the work of art
is the dura-ace. it needs more maintenance, much more accurate bb shell
prep, and doesn't last as long, but it's still a work of art. if you
get one, look inside the spindle by shining a flashlight in one end and
looking in the other - it's been internally machined so that the excess
material inside the "fat" part of the spindle has been removed - quite
extraordinary.
Old February 4th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Neil Graham

Fitted an Italian thread 7700 to my Colnago. Never did get the useless piece
of garbage to stay adjusted. Upgraded to 6500. No problems since......
Neil