Paris-Roubaix Uni-Bet Odds

Old April 11th 07, 06:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Richard Cheese

Default Paris-Roubaix Uni-Bet Odds

Cancellara, F 3.50

Boonen, T 3.50

Hoste, L 9.00

Van Petegem, P 11.00

Ballan, A 14.00

Pozzato, F 20.00

Flecha Giannoni, J-A 22.00

Hushovd, T 25.00

Backstedt, M 30.00

Guesdon, F 30.00

Van Bon, L 30.00

Devolder, S 35.00

Eisel, B 35.00

O'Grady, Stuart 35.00

Steegmans, G 50.00

Brard, F 100.00

Meirhaeghe, F 150.00

Source: http://www.unibet.com

Old April 12th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
trg

Unibet is crap. www.betfair.com is a more accurate gauge.

Cancellara, F 3.50
4.5/5.1

Boonen, T 3.50
7.6/7.8

Hoste, L 9.00
13/17

Van Petegem, P 11.00
19/20

Ballan, A 14.00
13/15

Pozzato, F 20.00
19.5/25

Flecha Giannoni, J-A 22.00
24/30

Hushovd, T 25.00
40/42

etc

Old April 12th 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Andre

On Apr 12, 11:53 am, "trg" wrote:
Unibet is crap.www.betfair.comis a more accurate gauge.

Cancellara, F 3.50
4.5/5.1

Boonen, T 3.50
7.6/7.8

Hoste, L 9.00
13/17

Van Petegem, P 11.00
19/20

Ballan, A 14.00
13/15

Pozzato, F 20.00
19.5/25

Flecha Giannoni, J-A 22.00
24/30

Hushovd, T 25.00
40/42

etc

could you explain the numbers?

Andre

Old April 13th 07, 10:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
trg

"Andre" a écrit dans le message de news:
On Apr 12, 11:53 am, "trg" wrote:
Unibet is crap.
www.betfair.comis a more accurate gauge.

Cancellara, F 3.50
4.5/5.1

Boonen, T 3.50
7.6/7.8

Hoste, L 9.00
13/17

Van Petegem, P 11.00
19/20

Ballan, A 14.00
13/15

Pozzato, F 20.00
19.5/25

Flecha Giannoni, J-A 22.00
24/30

Hushovd, T 25.00
40/42

etc

could you explain the numbers?

Andre

Betfair doesn't set the odd themselves. The punters do. So 13/15 means that
someone is willing to pay 13 to 1 odds if Ballan wins, while someone else is
looking for 15 to 1 odds. When the odds someone is laying are the same as
the odds someone else is backing, the bet is placed.

Depending how much each side has committed to the transaction, that's the
sum wagered. (If I want to bet $10 on Boonen at 7:1 and you want to lay $7
dollars on Boonen at 7:1, then a $7 bet is made between us at 7:1 and the $3
I didn't use remains available at 7:1 for someone else to lay.

The numbers I quoted are the BEST odds being offered by the punters. I could
lay10:1 odds on Ballan even though someone else is laying 13:1. That just
means that the other layer's bet would get taken before mine (assuming that
there was someone willing to back Ballan at 10:1 or less.)

Also, Betfair is realtime, so the odds are always changing, including during
the race itself.

Old April 13th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Andre

On Apr 13, 5:48 am, "trg" wrote:
"Andre" a écrit dans le message de news:
m...

On Apr 12, 11:53 am, "trg" wrote:
[...]

the race itself.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the explanation, it only seems weird that the odds could
change while the race is still on.

Andre

Old April 14th 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tony Rall

trg wrote:
Depending how much each side has committed to the transaction, that's the
sum wagered. (If I want to bet $10 on Boonen at 7:1 and you want to lay $7
dollars on Boonen at 7:1, then a $7 bet is made between us at 7:1 and the $3
I didn't use remains available at 7:1 for someone else to lay.

That doesn't make sense to me. You're both betting 7:1 on the same
result and you're somehow betting against each other?

Well, maybe you mean that one of you is betting 7:1 against Boonen? But
bets on a race aren't usually made that way - everyone bets *for*
someone, not against someone.

(Ok, I admit I've never placed such a bet.)

--
Tony Rall
Old April 14th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Curtis L. Russell

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:08:22 -0700, Tony Rall
wrote:

That doesn't make sense to me. You're both betting 7:1 on the same
result and you're somehow betting against each other?

Well, maybe you mean that one of you is betting 7:1 against Boonen? But
bets on a race aren't usually made that way - everyone bets *for*
someone, not against someone.

(Ok, I admit I've never placed such a bet.)

Auction betting has been around for a long time, just in most cases it
has a middle man that is more obvious. And this process in prinicple
seems to work well enough in the futures market.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old April 14th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Grosman

"Tony Rall" a écrit dans le message de news:
| trg wrote:
| Depending how much each side has committed to the transaction, that's
the
| sum wagered. (If I want to bet $10 on Boonen at 7:1 and you want to lay
$7
| dollars on Boonen at 7:1, then a $7 bet is made between us at 7:1 and
the $3
| I didn't use remains available at 7:1 for someone else to lay.
|
| That doesn't make sense to me. You're both betting 7:1 on the same
| result and you're somehow betting against each other?
|
| Well, maybe you mean that one of you is betting 7:1 against Boonen? But
| bets on a race aren't usually made that way - everyone bets *for*
| someone, not against someone.
|
| (Ok, I admit I've never placed such a bet.)
|
| --
| Tony Rall

Well, if you're betting *for* something, it means that there's someone on
the otherside betting *against* something. Betfair lets you "be the
bookmaker", by taking either side of the bet. (Betting against is called
"laying")

Places like unibet will typically take 15 or 20% commission. (In other
words, if there are two possible outcomes and the odds are even, they offer
1.8:1 odds on either side, keeping 20% for themselves.

Betfair handles the transaction and takes 5% (or less) commission from the
winner of the bet. They can keep the market open even during the event since
they aren't the ones who will have to pay up, so they don't have to worry
about changes "on the ground". If you're betting as an event happens, it's
up to you to make sure you don't do something stupid (like put money on a
rider who just crashed during a CLM).

Betfair also can offer betting on anything without having to have an expert
to analyse the event and give odds.

Paris-Roubaix Stu Fleming Racing 2 April 7th 06 08:57 AM
Paris-Roubaix map? Bob Martin Racing 5 March 31st 06 12:50 AM
Paris Roubaix Simon Brooke UK 5 April 19th 05 03:53 PM
paris roubaix Rick Roof Racing 8 January 15th 05 03:56 AM
paris roubaix curt Racing 0 March 12th 04 04:13 PM