Italy collects Basso-related blood bags

Old April 24th 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Italy collects Basso-related blood bags

This does not look good for Basso or Discovery. Basso needs to act
fast and submit a DNA test if he feels he is innocent. I don't
understand why Discovery did not demand a DNA test before they signed
Basso.

Discovery needs to clear up this matter quickly if hope to have any
chances of finding a new sponsor.
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...r07/apr24news2 )

"Interviú detailed previously unpublished
papers connecting Basso with Fuentes. This article contained what it
said was circumstantial evidence implicating the rider, including: 1)
An agenda with a schedule of blood extractions and transfusions since
2004. In the agenda the pseudonyms 'Birillo' and '2' are used. 2)
Payments in 2004 of around €35,000 and another €6000 for the freezing
the blood (or "gastos de Siberia"), and an advance payment of €70,000
in 2006 'to be defined individually'; there was also a message
received from Fuentes in Italian which talks of a Zurich bank account.
3) The analyses of blood, which could have been done in November 2005
in Madrid, with haematologist Merino Batres, a collaborator of
Fuentes. The Spanish Guardia Civil suspect that the cyclist visited
Madrid at least three times but he has always denied being there.

Old April 24th 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dan Connelly

What I don't understand is: have folks forgotten how to test blood type? Since when is the only identifiable feature of blood a DNA sequence?

Even if he's O+, if he's not involved, there is a 60% chance of clearing him:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type

Surely his blood type is on record.

Dan

Old April 24th 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dan Connelly

Why no blood type comparison? Even if Basso is O+, a simple type test will have a 60% chance of clearing him if it is not his blood:

Old April 24th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Curtis L. Russell

On 24 Apr 2007 06:12:27 -0700, "
wrote:

This does not look good for Basso or Discovery. Basso needs to act
fast and submit a DNA test if he feels he is innocent. I don't
understand why Discovery did not demand a DNA test before they signed
Basso.

Discovery needs to clear up this matter quickly if hope to have any
chances of finding a new sponsor.
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...r07/apr24news2 )

One side of the story with circumstantial but unsubstantiated
allegations - why does this look any different than it did yesterday?

I know you bring much more legal expertise to focus on this than the
Discovery Channel folks (or, for that matter, as best I know the real
team owners, Tailwind Sports Corp and Capital Sports & Entertainment -
Disco Channel really doesn't care who the next sponsor is), but I
would guess that there was some vetting done before the contract was
signed and no one who signed was a virgin. If someone gets screwed,
they knew the chances up front and probably had a good idea what it
feels like.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old April 24th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
trg

"Curtis L. Russell" a écrit dans le message de
news: ...

(
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...r07/apr24news2 )

One side of the story with circumstantial but unsubstantiated
allegations - why does this look any different than it did yesterday?

I know you bring much more legal expertise to focus on this than the
Discovery Channel folks (or, for that matter, as best I know the real
team owners, Tailwind Sports Corp and Capital Sports & Entertainment -
Disco Channel really doesn't care who the next sponsor is), but I
would guess that there was some vetting done before the contract was
signed and no one who signed was a virgin. If someone gets screwed,
they knew the chances up front and probably had a good idea what it
feels like.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

When Basso was signed, it looked like Puerto would go away, since doping was
not at the time illegal in Spain, hence his statement about giving DNA only
for "ongoing" investigations. Coni had declared the case closed. Discovery
might have made the bet that whether he was guilty or innocent, he wouldn't
be further harassed. If that's the case, then they might have made a
misjudgement.

Of course we don't know the terms of Basso's contract. It may be that he
agreed to go unpaid/give back his salary if he got caught, so he assumed the
risk rather than Disco. As it is, I remember reading that he is not the
highest paid rider in the peloton, (1.5 million), which under normal
circumstances you might expect him to be.

Old April 24th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Apr 24, 9:12 am, " wrote:
This does not look good for Basso or Discovery. Basso needs to act
fast and submit a DNA test if he feels he is innocent.

dumbass,

he has always resisted a DNA test and will continue to for as long as
he can. why do you think that is ?

I don't
understand why Discovery did not demand a DNA test before they signed
Basso.

unless they had the access to compare it to the puerto blood what
would be the point ?

Old April 24th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simon Brooke

in message , Curtis L. Russell
') wrote:

On 24 Apr 2007 06:12:27 -0700, "
wrote:

This does not look good for Basso or Discovery. Basso needs to act
fast and submit a DNA test if he feels he is innocent. I don't
understand why Discovery did not demand a DNA test before they signed
Basso.

Discovery needs to clear up this matter quickly if hope to have any
chances of finding a new sponsor.
(http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...r07/apr24news2 )

One side of the story with circumstantial but unsubstantiated
allegations - why does this look any different than it did yesterday?

I understood that Basso had given Discovery a DNA sample when he signed?

Certainly this doesn't change my skepticism about his guilt. It will be a
real shame if he is kept out of this year's Giro and Tour, and is later
found not to have been guilty - so the sooner the DNA comparison is made,
the better for everyone.

Oh - and I'm still a Basso fan.

;; It's dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.
;; Voltaire RIP Dr David Kelly 1945-2004
Old April 24th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Geraard Spergen

Dan Connelly wrote:
What I don't understand is: have folks forgotten how to test blood
type? Since when is the only identifiable feature of blood a DNA sequence?

Even if he's O+, if he's not involved, there is a 60% chance of
clearing him:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type

Surely his blood type is on record.

Dan

Supposing Basso does provide his DNA, would it be compared only to the
Birillo bags? Or to all the bags found in Fuentes's office? I'd expect
they'd test the Birillo bags first but if they didn't match they'd keep
on comparing until they either found a match or had tested every bag
available.
Old April 24th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William Asher

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

And if they wanted his DNA and he trained in the U.S.A., it would take
a personal attendant employed by Basso to keep Disco from getting
legal samples of his DNA. If he had Sheryl as an advisor it would
take, oh, an hour and a half.

Based on the information I've read in the other Sheryl Crow threads
thoughtfully cross-posted here, how would you separate Basso's dna from the
countless other dna samples undoubtedly collected by Sheryl that same day?

Which brings to mind the difference between a bitch and a slut.

--
Bill Asher
Old April 24th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Curtis L. Russell

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 18:18:35 +0100, Simon Brooke
wrote:

One side of the story with circumstantial but unsubstantiated
allegations - why does this look any different than it did yesterday?

I understood that Basso had given Discovery a DNA sample when he signed?

And that doesn't change the storyline any, as there would no
particular avenue in for Disco to sue for permission to match the DNA
with Puerto. And until Disco perceives its interests as different than
that of Basso, then them having Basso's DNA and Basso having Basso's
DNA would pretty much be one and the same - no rush to match until it
needs to be done.

Or my short answer is, until there is a basis for Disco to match any
DNA they may have with the suspect DNA, it is irrelevant. Not even
legal. You need legal access to both samples.

And if they wanted his DNA and he trained in the U.S.A., it would take
a personal attendant employed by Basso to keep Disco from getting
legal samples of his DNA. If he had Sheryl as an advisor it would
take, oh, an hour and a half.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

In the News: Ullrich's DNA sample matched to Spanish blood bags Jason Spaceman Racing 2 April 4th 07 12:01 PM
missing blood bags? gym.gravity Racing 5 November 29th 06 08:36 AM
In the News: EPO found in bags of blood seized in doping investigation Jason Spaceman Racing 7 November 26th 06 08:15 AM
How big were those blood bags? Robert Chung Racing 11 May 31st 06 09:28 PM
The Names On the Blood Bags Belong To? B. Lafferty Racing 36 May 27th 06 11:07 AM