Training for a hilly race

Old February 2nd 09, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
LawBoy01

Default Training for a hilly race

On Feb 2, 2:40*pm, Donald Munro wrote:
LawBoy01 wrote:
I'm targeting Lago Vista as my first race in the TXBRA series for this
year. *It's a hilly SOB, and I've been training with 53/42 and 12-23. A
friend said that is stupid. *Is it? *Should I be training with gears that
I will actually use in the race, like 53/39 and 13-26?

Do you eat red herrings ?

Do you spend most of your time on the web typing with one hand?
Old February 3rd 09, 10:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

LawBoy01 wrote:
I'm targeting Lago Vista as my first race in the TXBRA series for this
year. Â*It's a hilly SOB, and I've been training with 53/42 and 12-23.
A friend said that is stupid. Â*Is it? Â*Should I be training with
gears that I will actually use in the race, like 53/39 and 13-26?

Donald Munro wrote:
Do you eat red herrings ?

LawBoy01 wrote:
Do you spend most of your time on the web typing with one hand?

Only when I'm doping.

Anyway its winter where you are; you'd get much better bang for your
buck if you did some long (15-20min) sub-threshold intervals and then
later start to throw in some shorter (3-5 min) VO2 max intervals and
maybe a smallish helping of anaerobic intervals closer to the race.