Training for a hilly race

Old February 4th 09, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger

Default Training for a hilly race

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 23:03:27 -0800 (PST), Kurgan Gringioni
wrote:

On Feb 2, 1:44 pm, "Robert Chung"
wrote:
LawBoy01 wrote:
When I am doing hill repeats, I sometimes force myself to sit and
grind up the climb with no less than 60 rpm while keeping up witht
folks using smaller gears. I just think that I am killing myself
without benefit sometimes. I suspect that your advice is correct.
John Phillip Lawboy:

Use the gears you're going to use. Cadence is a red herring. Focus on power.

I don't agree with the gear thing.

No matter how hard you try in training, you'll find yourself doing
stuff in races that you could never do in training.

Yeah. But sometimes I think the best riders are those who can
occassionally go much deeper/harder/faster in training.

Spoken like a true sexual deviant.
Old February 4th 09, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

Don't forget the mental aspect.

Get "Eye of the Tiger" cued up and ready to play as soon as you wake
up.
Old February 4th 09, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William Asher

Bret wrote:

On Feb 3, 4:37*pm, "marco" wrote:
Bret wrote:
You misunderstood. I would be looking for a place to park my bike
while I did stair climbing intervals with a heavy backpack.

Starbucks. Sausalito. This Friday. Bring your heavy backpack and your
53x

11
and we're gonna ride up Mt. Tam

I'll be there. I'm going to inflate my tires with water.

Woos. Real men use quicksilver.

One added bonus is that it's relatively expensive, you can tell people you
spent around $3000 just to fill your tires. It's a FM's dream.

The second bonus is that if you use mercury-filled tires while riding
rollers, once you get those babies up to speed they are going to pack some
momentum and if you pop off you're not going to have to sprint to leave a
skidmark into the wall.

--
Bill Asher
Old February 4th 09, 06:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article ,
Bret wrote:

On Feb 2, 3:32*pm, Carl Sundquist wrote:

The problem here is that LB is about 225 miles away from the course. He
is in Frisco, TX and the race in near Austin. He has no hills to speak
of. What he has though, is a lot of wind. It's a poor substitute, but he
needs to do a lot of into the wind intervals and tempo work.

If I were in that regrettable situation, I would be doing intervals
back and forth over a freeway overpass. I would also check around for
a tall parking garage.

How about a trainer that you can adjust the resistance from the bars?

--
tanx,
Howard

Caught playing safe
It's a bored game

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old February 4th 09, 08:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

marco wrote:
Amit, You Ignorant Slut! Next you're gonna tell me that, when faced with a
big hill to climb, it doesn't do any good to remove my bottle from its
cage and put it in my pocket to reduce my bike's weight. Don't you tell me
that!! I know it must work because I hear some successful old pro would do
that all the time.

What, you don't throw your bottle, er bidon, away when its empty like
the pros do ? What kind of fm are you.

Old February 4th 09, 10:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Amit Ghosh

On Feb 3, 5:10*pm, Scott wrote:

Who said anything about doing the low cadence/high force efforts at
significantly lower wattages?

dumbass,

if you do an all out interval, say 5 minutes and self select cadence
and then you do 5 minutes and you deliberately restrict your cadence
you won't make as much power, since you have imposed an additional
constraint on yourself.

Old February 4th 09, 12:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Amit Ghosh

On Feb 3, 6:35*pm, "marco" wrote:

But yeah, the discussion was dumb and boring

dumbass,

it's dumb and boring because anyone who's raced for about 5 yrs or so
has had a glimpse of their potential.

the difference in conditioning between doing a typical 10-15 hrs a
week, pushing yourself once in a while with some sustained intensity
and an optimized training plan is maybe 10%. weight is the other
biggie and most racers can lose maybe another 10%. this is of course
meaningful with respect to results among your peers but probably not
enough to make you competitive at the next level.

newbies and out of shape people have more to gain, but anyone who's
been at the for a few years isn't going to see a lot of changes year
to year based on some subtle aspect of their riding (eg. big gear
intervals or flom sprints or whatever).
Old February 4th 09, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Keiron[_2_]

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 11:57:19 -0800, Rick wrote:

On Feb 3, 10:33Â*am, Keiron wrote:
On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 08:43:38 -0800, Robert Chung wrote:
Susan Walker wrote:
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
Susan Walker wrote:
http://greenjersey.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/

van_der_velde_gavia_1988.jpg

Wow, I didn't know Christian Van de Velde's father was leader of
the Giro too. Now it all makes sense.

That pink jersey was pretty dark back in the day. Â*At least we know
that guy in the pic wasn't doping, since he was an American.

I think you'd better stay in rb.tech, John. Your racing related
knowledge seems a bit out of whack. Also, I think plenty of
Americans doped.

Even if they doped, where's the evidence that it made a difference?
There is such a high degree of randomness in racing that doping has
undetectable effects.

Why bother at all then?

Because the effects can be anything but undetectable. A recent study
showed that donating a pint of blood reduces the average male's oxygen
capacity by 10%, which will then return over the next 20-50 days. Adding
a pint of your own blood results in an immedicate 10% gain in oxygen
carrying capacity. That is a huge difference, and until very recently
was extremely hard to detect, may still be now, and has been very common
- Operation Puerto turned up some, certain Americans found doping at the
TdF almost assuredly blood doped. That doesn't even account for the
impact of PEDs on performance, especially with blood doping - which
appears to be what happened to one of the Americans with testosterone in
his blood - most likely added back a pint of blood taken out while using
testosterone boosting products before the TdF, which triggered the
positive.

Rick

I took the previously mentioned randomness to mean factors outside the
effects of doping(?). If you doped and fell foul to random events and
didnt win then no harm no foul but if you dope and win you're bound to be
tested. Obviously there are factors in the efficacy of testing (otherwise
there'd be only 3 or 4 riders starting the tour each year no doubt)
Old February 4th 09, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ronaldo_jeremiah

On Feb 3, 7:16*pm, William Asher wrote:

Woos. *Real men use quicksilver. *

One added bonus is that it's relatively expensive, you can tell people you
spent around $3000 just to fill your tires. *It's a FM's dream. *

The second bonus is that if you use mercury-filled tires while riding
rollers, once you get those babies up to speed they are going to pack some
momentum and if you pop off you're not going to have to sprint to leave a
skidmark into the wall. *

No way. Supercooled liquid helium is the way to go. You get the
lightweight and superfluidity. Once the wheels are turning, they'd
never stop.

-rj
Old February 4th 09, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

On Feb 4, 9:29*am, "marco" wrote:

Very true, depending on how you define "the next level". Seems like a lot of
non-pro riders are interested in upgrading to the next category. I think 10%
plus 10% should be good for a couple category levels. You are right about
the weight issue, but people don't like to hear about that. If you are a
male bike racer and carrying more than 5%-7% body fat, then you are
overweight with respect to optimizing your racing performance. I get a lot
of flak every time I say that, but it's true.

Dumbass -

Anyone who gives you flak about saying that is probably fat themselves
and have never actually experienced low weight and the accompanying
performance advantages. It's an eye opener.

BTW, Fat Steve was protesting me calling him fat for a bike racer by
proudly proclaiming that he was only 18%.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.