Filtering

Old February 8th 09, 01:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

Default Filtering

Should I point out that there is a small discussion of filtering (by
motorbikes) over in uk.rec.driving?
No, best not.
Old February 8th 09, 02:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 16:31:06 -0800 (PST), Squashme
wrote:

Should I point out that there is a small discussion of filtering (by
motorbikes) over in uk.rec.driving?
No, best not.

I am surprised that you have mentioned the thread - cyclists are going
to get a stuffing in it.

I must say - well done, and many thanks for the heads up.

Many thanks.

judith

--
I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy Chapman)
I have never said that I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy

Old February 8th 09, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
AndyC

wrote:

Should I point out that there is a small discussion of filtering (by
motorbikes) over in uk.rec.driving?
No, best not.

I am surprised that you have mentioned the thread - cyclists are going
to get a stuffing in it.

I must say - well done, and many thanks for the heads up.

One of the advantages of motorcycling (and cycling) is that you can filter
past stationary or slow moving traffic. It obviously needs care when done.
If it is done recklessly and you cause an accident then you could be deemed
to be at fault. Otherwise, and AFAIK, there is no law prohibiting it.

But, some drivers don't like it. It's kinda like jumping their queue :-)

Old February 8th 09, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea[_2_]

wrote:

Should I point out that there is a small discussion of filtering (by
motorbikes) over in uk.rec.driving?
No, best not.

I am surprised that you have mentioned the thread - cyclists are going
to get a stuffing in it.

I must say - well done, and many thanks for the heads up.

One of the advantages of motorcycling (and cycling) is that you can filter
past stationary or slow moving traffic. It obviously needs care when done.
If it is done recklessly and you cause an accident then you could be
deemed to be at fault. Otherwise, and AFAIK, there is no law prohibiting
it.

But, some drivers don't like it. It's kinda like jumping their queue :-)

Somewhat surprising drivers don't like it, since if motorcyclists wait in
the queue they are taking up space in the queue and making the queue longer
for those behind them. This could be crucial in determining who gets through
the lights before they change back to red.

Thus filtering is more space efficient, and helps get more traffic through
the junction.

Old February 8th 09, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 11:32:45 -0000, "Adam Lea"
said in :

Somewhat surprising drivers don't like it, since if motorcyclists wait in
the queue they are taking up space in the queue and making the queue longer
for those behind them. This could be crucial in determining who gets through
the lights before they change back to red.

Nonononono. Drivers /like/ sitting in traffic queues. There is no
other explanation for the dangerous manoeuvres they will use to get
past a bike in order to spend an extra few seconds at the next
traffic light...

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
GPG sig #3FA3BCDE http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt
Old February 8th 09, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Adam Lea wrote:
wrote:

[...]

There is rarely any disadvantage in being overtaken by a motor-cyclist. When
the lights turn green, he disappears over the horizon.

Old February 8th 09, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

said in :

Somewhat surprising drivers don't like it, since if motorcyclists wait in
the queue they are taking up space in the queue and making the queue longer
for those behind them. This could be crucial in determining who gets through
the lights before they change back to red.

Nonononono. Drivers /like/ sitting in traffic queues. There is no
other explanation for the dangerous manoeuvres they will use to get
past a bike in order to spend an extra few seconds at the next
traffic light...

Guy

You are a knob Chapman.

You reckon that you don't dislike motorists and yet you continue to
"try" and take the **** out of them.

However, like at most things, you're just not very good at it.

judith

Old February 8th 09, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nuxx Bar

On Feb 8, 8:16*am, "AndyC" wrote:

But, some drivers don't like it. It's kinda like jumping their queue :-)

No doubt they're the same drivers who flash and/or hoot when overtaken
perfectly legitimately and legally, block people who wish to pass on
the motorway by sitting in the wrong lane, etc. There's only a small
number of such idiots, but they cause a huge amount of delay, and also
frustration and bad feeling, both of which ultimately lead to crashes.

If the government were really serious about improving road safety, it
would attempt to educate these people, and have the police deal
robustly with those who insisted on continuing to impede others
unnecessarily. But the government does nothing about them, because
that might actually improve things for normal motorists, and we
couldn't have that. (And, of course, that's why the car-haters in
this group condone the actions of such idiots, and probably *are* such
idiots whenever they hypocritically drive themselves.)
Old February 8th 09, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nuxx Bar

said in :

Somewhat surprising drivers don't like it, since if motorcyclists wait in
the queue they are taking up space in the queue and making the queue longer
for those behind them. This could be crucial in determining who gets through
the lights before they change back to red.

Nonononono. *Drivers /like/ sitting in traffic queues. *There is no
other explanation for the dangerous manoeuvres they will use to get
past a bike in order to spend an extra few seconds at the next
traffic light...

Guy

You are a knob Chapman.

You reckon that you don't dislike motorists and yet you continue to
"try" and take the **** out of them.

However, like at most things, you're just not very good at it.

Agreed in full. The first couple of sentences of his post, I almost
fainted, because I thought he was actually going to make a point that
I agreed with. But I was quickly brought down to Earth after that.

In terms of his opinions, and the comments that he makes about
motorists like the above, Crapman is indistinguishable from the
average self-confessed motorist-hater. Yet he continues to deny that
he's anything of the kind. As with Spindrift, who does he honestly
think is falling for it?
Old February 8th 09, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nuxx Bar

On Feb 8, 12:14*pm, JNugent wrote:
Adam Lea wrote:
"AndyC" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

[...]

Exactly. These people don't dislike being overtaken because they
think it'll lengthen their journey. They're purely motivated by
spite: "If I can't/won't go any faster, I don't want anyone else to
benefit from doing so either". You see it all the time: even though
there aren't many such *******, it only takes a few of them to ruin
things for a lot of people. The bottom line is that if they won't
play nicely and share our limited roadspace like grown-ups, they
shouldn't be allowed to drive at all.