cyclist holding up traffic

Old July 31st 13, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Thumper[_2_]

Default cyclist holding up traffic

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
"Thumper" considered Tue, 30 Jul 2013
23:32:41 +0100 the perfect time to write:

"Paul Cummins" wrote in message
.uk...
In article ,
(Thumper) wrote:

Despite it being quite a wide cycle lane this
cyclist was riding about 2 feet outside the lane with an ever
increasing line of vehicles behind him.

Is a bicycle a "road vehicle"?

Yes

if so, what is the problem with him using the road.

Nothing at all, but there was a cycle lane marked on the road specifically
for him to use. If he had stayed in that cycle lane he would've travelled
the road just as fast and vehicles would've passed him safely. What he was
doing was the same as a car driver being halfway between lanes on a dual
carriageway.

Was he using more than one lane then?
If not, I fail to see the equivalence.

Not in the cycle lane that cars cannot drive in. In the part of the road
that cars can drive in, so effectively taking up both areas of road.

It is entirely up to the cyclist whether he uses a cycle lane or not.
So many of them are actively dangerous that the existence of a cycle
lane is usually a very good indication of the most hazardous position
for a cyclist to be on the road.

This is a normal cycle lane on a straight road. No major roads to the left.
road ends at a proper roundabout.

Old July 31st 13, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Brian Robertson[_10_]

On 30/07/2013 23:54, Nick wrote:
On 30/07/2013 13:51, Thumper wrote:
Saw a cyclist this morning on a road that links the town centre with the
by-pass, so it's a fairly busy road. It is a 40 limit and there is a
marked cycle lane on the road. Despite it being quite a wide cycle lane
this cyclist was riding about 2 feet outside the lane with an ever
increasing line of vehicles behind him.

At 8.44 am today I noticed a car just left by the side of the road,
effectively blocking the left hand carriage way. This was causing severe
congestion as other innocent car drivers and cyclists had to wait for a
break in the steady stream of cars coming for the opposite direction
before they could safely pull into the opposite lane to manoeuvre around
this obstruction.

I often see cars left by the side of the road causing this type of
obstruction. But this morning I thought to myself enough is enough, I
need to do something about this selfishness. So I resolved to tackle the
problem by making this strongly critical post to usenet.

roflmao

Old July 31st 13, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian Robertson[_10_]

On 31/07/2013 17:55, Mrcheerful wrote:
Phil W Lee wrote:
"TMS320" considered Wed, 31 Jul 2013 13:52:57 +0100
the perfect time to write:

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message

"TMS320" wrote in message
"Mrcheerful" wrote
"TMS320" wrote in message
"Mrcheerful" wrote

you should post it to a car or driving group.

Hint - I have removed uk.rec.driving from this reply. Check the
headers in the rest of the thread.

(Though the blurred vision you get from the excitement of reading
reports of supposed "wrong doing" of cyclists can't be helped by
all those bottles you buy.)

I noticed too late that there were multiple groups, it is not
something that I would look at before posting and only spotted it
in the sent items. I cancelled the message within moments, but
apparently it still got through, yet does not show up for me.

Ah well. I hope you're more observant when you're driving. It's the
inability to notice small detail that causes crashes.

What are all these bottles that I buy?

...poor memory too. Y'know, the ones that weigh down your weekly
shopping.

Did I describe my weekly shopping? or just state the weight?

The weight is clue to liquid content. I doubt you buy a bag of
cement every week.

How do we know it isn't cider?
Or meths, which would explain his poor eyesight.

Even if my shopping was entirely strong spirits, no-one has yet explained
how it would be viable for me to collect it using a bicycle.

I do my shopping by bike. Why not?
Old July 31st 13, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Phil W Lee wrote:
"TMS320" considered Wed, 31 Jul 2013 13:52:57
+0100 the perfect time to write:

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message

"TMS320" wrote in message
"Mrcheerful" wrote
"TMS320" wrote in message
[...]

You may well be able to, I cannot.
I am certain there are some sad lonely losers that cycle past the shop each
day on their way from the factory to their back to back that can carry their
half pint of milk home without any significant extra effort.

Old August 1st 13, 07:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 17:55:18 +0100, "Mrcheerful"
wrote:

Even if my shopping was entirely strong spirits, no-one has yet explained
how it would be viable for me to collect it using a bicycle.

Yes they have.
Old August 1st 13, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

wrote:

Even if my shopping was entirely strong spirits, no-one has yet
explained how it would be viable for me to collect it using a
bicycle.

Yes they have.

No they haven't, I need to be able to throw it in the boot and get home
within 5 minutes, not half an hour.