Tubeless tire FAQ

Old June 18th 20, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Tubeless tire FAQ

Here's Jan Heine's tubeless tire FAQ, posted June 17, 2020

https://www.renehersecycles.com/cate...ting-and-tech/

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 19th 20, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 8:53:04 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Here's Jan Heine's tubeless tire FAQ, posted June 17, 2020

https://www.renehersecycles.com/cate...ting-and-tech/

Initially there appears to be a lot of advantages to tubeless tires. That flush very soon comes off the pumpkin. Thee is very little air in a bicycle road tire. So it doesn't require much of a leak to go flat. So even with sealant you can have a flat and then it is icky and messy.

Because of this chance for a flat you have to carry patches and tubes etc. anyway so you might as well have a nice clean tubed clincher tire which is also a great deal easier to mount and dismount.
Old June 19th 20, 07:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 18/06/2020 17:52, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Here's Jan Heine's tubeless tire FAQ, posted June 17, 2020

https://www.renehersecycles.com/cate...ting-and-tech/

"Also remember to top up the sealant at least once a month", that isn't
what I would call great progress. I though it was more like once a
year, or even never.
Old June 19th 20, 01:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 1:56:12 AM UTC-5, Tosspot wrote:
On 18/06/2020 17:52, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Here's Jan Heine's tubeless tire FAQ, posted June 17, 2020

https://www.renehersecycles.com/cate...ting-and-tech/

"Also remember to top up the sealant at least once a month", that isn't
what I would call great progress. I though it was more like once a
year, or even never.

Agree with you. Looks like more trouble than it is worth.

Andy
Old June 20th 20, 10:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

If I had tubeless tires, I'd have to deal with tire diarrhea a lot more often than I get flats now. I expect that sooner or later, even the most gullible fashion-chasing chumps will figure it out, and this messy problem will go the way of sewups.
Old June 21st 20, 08:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 20/06/2020 11:39, Chalo wrote:
If I had tubeless tires, I'd have to deal with tire diarrhea a lot
more often than I get flats now. I expect that sooner or later, even
the most gullible fashion-chasing chumps will figure it out, and this
messy problem will go the way of sewups.

I don't think so, it does have a place for the mounties, but for general
cycling, I've gone off the idea completely as my last puncture was 5+
years ago. I was interested because I thought I could run Marathon
Supremes, which feel nice, without getting a puncture every 500km.
Old June 21st 20, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Tosspot wrote:
On 18/06/2020 17:52, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Here's Jan Heine's tubeless tire FAQ, posted June 17, 2020

https://www.renehersecycles.com/cate...ting-and-tech/

"Also remember to top up the sealant at least once a month", that isn't
what I would call great progress. I though it was more like once a
year, or even never.

I’d take his advice with a healthy pinch of salt, he’s not a fan of
tubeless and I’d seriously question his impartiality.

No one sensibly is going to top up sealant once a month, most folks
probably never do! I think the sealant manufactures suggest every few
months, but is a how long is a piece of string, ie temperature and such
effect how long the sealant will last.

I do get that for some folks it makes sense others less so, for myself the
hassle vs advantages plus cost doesn’t swing it for me, but equally I know
folks who can’t fix punctures roadside so tubeless plus sealant would help
hugely in this part.

Roger Merriman

Old June 21st 20, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Thankfully I do not get very many flats. One a year or maybe two at most. Amongst many bikes. Three of the bikes do use bigger 35mm tubes so I have to make a special effort to carry the big spare tube when riding those bikes. Otherwise the skinny road tire spare tubes are always inside the seatpack that always goes on every ride. And I always carry a frame mounted pump. So the hassle of tubeless on a bike does not make sense to me. All road riding for me on good roads and trails. No mountain bike.

Of course there was the one time when I had 7 flat tires on Paris Brest Paris. Bad, terrible, awful, horrible Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX thin racing tires were likely the main reason for this trouble. Maybe tubeless would have helped???? Or hurt even more????
Old June 22nd 20, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/21/2020 11:38 AM, Roger Merriman wrote:
Tosspot wrote:
On 18/06/2020 17:52, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Here's Jan Heine's tubeless tire FAQ, posted June 17, 2020

https://www.renehersecycles.com/cate...ting-and-tech/

"Also remember to top up the sealant at least once a month", that isn't
what I would call great progress. I though it was more like once a
year, or even never.

I’d take his advice with a healthy pinch of salt, he’s not a fan of
tubeless and I’d seriously question his impartiality.

I could be remembering wrong, but I thought he seemed pretty open to
tubeless when it first came out. He's a fan of low tire pressures, and
ISTR him liking the idea of no pinch flats.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 23rd 20, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 8:53:04 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Here's Jan Heine's tubeless tire FAQ, posted June 17, 2020

https://www.renehersecycles.com/cate...ting-and-tech/

--
- Frank Krygowski

Let's see what the group can make of this: A friend is rather large and heavy (though he is riding it off slowly). He had 23 mm Panasonic tires on his Trek Madone and got his first flat Saturday after about six months. The wheels are Mavic Kyseriums. He would run 120 psi.

I don't how he can ride those things since another friend has to replace his once a year and weighs 20 lbs less bare minimum.

But I offered to sell him a set of GP5000TL 25 mm tires. (Actually I offered to give them to him and he refused and wanted to pay)

Those GP5000's absolutely refused to mount and he flatted two tubes trying and I tried everything I could and they would not mount.

I have a new (leftover) Performance innertube of 19-26 mm tire size. So again he had to pay for it despite I couldn't do anything with a 48 mm Presta valve.

The tire inside was so tight that I couldn't even get a tire "iron" under it except with a great deal of work and I couldn't get the tire off of the wheel on one side until I lubed it with soapy water. The tire cord on each side expanded to the outside of the wheel rim hook bead. There didn't seem to be any cup in the rim center at all.

Finally he got tired of messing with it and took it down to his local bike shop who said you couldn't put tubeless tires on clincher rims. My experience is that it is a hell of a lot easier to put tubeless tires on a standard clincher rims than on tubeless rims because of the narrower center well.

What do you think about all of this?