Cartridge bottom brackets

Old April 7th 17, 09:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Cartridge bottom brackets

I'm thinking of replacing the old three piece BB on one of my bikes
with a Shimano cartridge bearing and I see that Shimano markets a
UN-26 and UN-55 cartridge bottom bracket. I believe that the UN-26
has a solid spindle and a plastic bushing on the non-drive side while
there is reference to a hollow spindle and steel bushing on the UN-55.
Both are made for the 69 and 73 mm frames and in roughly the same
spindle lengths.

In normal use is there a practical difference? Disregarding the weight
difference, if any, is there a noticeable difference in service life?

The UN-26 seems to be the cheaper version and is quite common in shops
here while the UN-55 is somewhat rare, probably due to price. But if
the UN-55 lasts (for example) five years while the UN-26 only lasts
two years it is probably worth searching out the higher priced
version.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old April 7th 17, 12:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 07 Apr 2017 15:57:46 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I'm thinking of replacing the old three piece BB on one of my bikes
with a Shimano cartridge bearing and I see that Shimano markets a
UN-26 and UN-55 cartridge bottom bracket. I believe that the UN-26
has a solid spindle and a plastic bushing on the non-drive side while
there is reference to a hollow spindle and steel bushing on the UN-55.
Both are made for the 69 and 73 mm frames and in roughly the same
spindle lengths.

Actually 68 not 69 :-(
]

Old April 7th 17, 01:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/7/2017 3:57 AM, John B. wrote:

[...]

No practical difference and I believe both are hollow
spindle now (earlier less expensive models were solid). In
theory, higher quality bearing on the 55 but neither are
true replaceable cartridge bearings[1]. Nylon vs metal left
cup is an argument without practical relevance and the
outside spacer of either spindle may be removed and thrown
out to no detriment.

[1] A pair of name-brand premium seal cartridge bearings
cost more than either Shimano BB:
http://www.philwood.com/products/bearinghome.php

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 7th 17, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 5:56:55 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/7/2017 3:57 AM, John B. wrote:

[...]

The last one I bought with the plastic didn't even have enough length for an outside spacer as you say to no detriment.

I am now off Chris King and other high end stuff forever. I took my fork into the shop to have the bottom cup (actually little more than a spacer) removed from my Colnago fork and using the Park tool it couldn't remove that cup without deforming it on a damn aluminum shank.

Why should I pay $150 for a King headset when I can get an Orange of near equal quality for $10?
Old April 7th 17, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Robert Liebermann

I recommend the Tange LN-3922 BB. Made in Japan (unlike Shimanos), high quality, almost suspiciously cheap, good looking, and comes in many widths. I've got it on several bikes; I used to buy Phils for my fanciest bikes, but I like this one better at 1/5 the cost!
Old April 7th 17, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 8:05:01 AM UTC-7, Robert Liebermann wrote:
I recommend the Tange LN-3922 BB. Made in Japan (unlike Shimanos), high quality, almost suspiciously cheap, good looking, and comes in many widths. I've got it on several bikes; I used to buy Phils for my fanciest bikes, but I like this one better at 1/5 the cost!

There are more and more top grade parts coming out of Taiwan and Japan for a LOT cheaper than the American components that do not appear to me to be any better. While Campy and Chris King headsets are so expensive an FSA is 1/3rd the price. And Origin8 1/5th.

Now without direct experience with the lower price parts I shouldn't talk them up but the price difference is so dramatic that they are certainly worth a try.
Old April 7th 17, 05:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 8:36:53 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 8:05:01 AM UTC-7, Robert Liebermann wrote:
I recommend the Tange LN-3922 BB. Made in Japan (unlike Shimanos), high quality, almost suspiciously cheap, good looking, and comes in many widths.. I've got it on several bikes; I used to buy Phils for my fanciest bikes, but I like this one better at 1/5 the cost!

There are more and more top grade parts coming out of Taiwan and Japan for a LOT cheaper than the American components that do not appear to me to be any better. While Campy and Chris King headsets are so expensive an FSA is 1/3rd the price. And Origin8 1/5th.

Now without direct experience with the lower price parts I shouldn't talk them up but the price difference is so dramatic that they are certainly worth a try.

Going back to BBs and not headsets, the problem with the inexpensive square drive is that they are usually symmetrical/JIS and may not work as well with an older crank that uses an asymmetrical/ISO BB, but the difference is not that meaningful. As for bearing life, super-cheap BBs may die an early death -- but they are super cheap. Note that CK does not make a square drive BB (according to their products page). Phil at $150 for a "classic" BB is about the top of the range. https://www.universalcycles.com/sear...bottom+bracket You really have to work to spend much money on a square drive BB.

My experience was that certain designs were bad news rather than certain models or makers. I went through ISIS BBs like Kleenex regardless of maker. They totally sucked because of the small bearings, even double-row bearings died an early death. I had an FSA CF ISIS crank on an old Cannondale and was happy when that broke (pedal thread inserts separated from crank arm, which started cracking below pedal eye). Octalink was better but now a historical footnote, along with ISIS.

Shimano outboard cup/bearings are great although theoretically imperfect. Press-in BB formats are bad news if you want a no-fuss quiet bike, although after a recent install of mid-fi Endura bearings, my BBs are staying pretty quiet. I don't expect that to last forever. I think using the right Loctite makes a difference. I would have been perfectly happy if technology stopped with threaded outboard bearings.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 8th 17, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 07 Apr 2017 07:56:51 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 4/7/2017 3:57 AM, John B. wrote:

[...]

Thanks. It is about what I thought so will just go with what I find.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old April 8th 17, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 08:04:59 -0700 (PDT), Robert Liebermann
wrote:

I recommend the Tange LN-3922 BB. Made in Japan (unlike Shimanos),
high quality, almost suspiciously cheap, good looking, and comes in many
widths. I've got it on several bikes; I used to buy Phils for my fanciest
bikes, but I like this one better at 1/5 the cost!

:-) Are you sure about the made in Japan thing? I find the following
addresses for Tange Seiki :-)

TANGE SEIKI CO., LTD
1-26, Kurumano-cho Nishi, Sakai-ku
Sakai, Osaka, Japan 590-0940
TEL:+81-72-224-9990
FAX:+81-72-224-9991

TANGE SEIKI TAICHUNG CO.,LTD.
NO.18, Gongyegu 10th Rd., Xitun Dist., Taichung City
40755, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
TEL:+886-4-2358-0100
FAX:+886-4-2358-0669

TANGE SEIKI SHENZHEN CO.,LTD.
No. 141, Yin Tai Rd., Daiang St, Baoan Dist., Shenzhen,
Guangdong, China
TEL:+86-755-27742140
FAX:+86-755-27708372

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old April 8th 17, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

It's not Tange's only product.

Blue box BB with natural aluminum cups & white box with
steel cups are both marked 'Made in Japan' as are the
Tange-IRD units. (I assume o.e.m. versions would be made
closer to actual bicycle factories.)