Mason Verdict ( a sober review )

Old April 19th 17, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default Mason Verdict ( a sober review )

On 19/04/2017 10:46, Peter Keller wrote:
On 19.04.2017 06:39, TMS320 wrote:
On 18/04/17 11:03, Peter Keller wrote:
On 18.04.2017 11:08, TMS320 wrote:
On 15/04/17 10:17, Peter Keller wrote:

The car hit the bicyclist on the driver's side. What was the
bicyclist doing so far away from the left side of the road?

I am often in this position when approaching a right turn. Is that
wrong?

Legally, no. However in times of reduced visibility it may be unwise.
I have an aversion to explaining that I am in the right from bed 13
of the Intensive Care Unit.

I will never suggest that blind faith is a substitute for judgement.

Great!

I quite often use a "hook turn" if i need
to turn right in heavy traffic. Cross the intersection on green on
the left, then stop in front of the cars on the left of the cross
road (they will have red), then when the lights turn green go
straight ahead.
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
____________________o| |________________
--------------------!

^

^---
_____________________ | ________________
o| | |
| ^ |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| ^ |
| | |

That is certainly a possible bail out. There are other permutations,
depending on junction layout. But to understand why he was in the
position he was is not a difficult question.

Sure. It just shows that everyone using the roads, including bicyclists
and drivers, must be vigilant and considerate at all times

As I grow older, I find myself more and more attracted to that approach.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old April 19th 17, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 19/04/17 16:58, JNugent wrote:
On 19/04/2017 09:50, TMS320 wrote:
On 19/04/17 01:50, JNugent wrote:
On 18/04/2017 19:50, TMS320 wrote:
On 18/04/17 16:12, JNugent wrote:
On 18/04/2017 08:20, TMS320 wrote:
On 18/04/17 03:26, JNugent wrote:
On 18/04/2017 00:08, TMS320 wrote:
On 15/04/17 10:17, Peter Keller wrote:

The car hit the bicyclist on the driver's side. What
was the bicyclist doing so far away from the left
side of the road?

I am often in this position when approaching a right
turn. Is that wrong?

It depends on how quickly you get there from wherever you
are beforehand, and whether or not you accord priority to
other vehicles appropriately and in compliance with the
rules. The basic rule is that one should not cause one's
vehicle to move into the path of another vehicle if doing
so will necessitate a change of speed or direction for
that other vehicle.

So you will be able to see that the answer to your
question is "maybe".

Since I was asking in response to Peter's post I hoped he
would give his view without you butting in.

This is a newsgroup.

It is.

If you prefer, you may communicate with Peter by email.

It's not difficult to notice a targeted question and let that
person have first reply.

There is no requirement to that effect.

Your whole existence seems to work round rules (made by other
people). Make a decision for yourself occasionally.

Have you swapped personalities with Wilkinson Sword?

If you ask a question on usenet, anyone may answer it. If you
don't for just anyone to answer it, ask it in an email.

There is also mid ground which should be easy to identify. Clearly,
some people don't get it.

Usenet : public Email : private

Simple social protocol. A group of people are chatting away in a room,
ie, it is a "public" conversation. Person A gives an opinion. Person B
asks "why do you say that?". Person A pauses to think further about it
but before answering Person C thinks they have something to offer and
jumps in.

Annoying and sometimes rude. Let person A speak first to produce the
meat for general discussion. It is "public" all along but all C needs to
have is the capacity to LISTEN for one exchange.

And the verdict is..... Donald Munro Racing 3 June 30th 08 10:02 PM
Landis verdict [email protected] Racing 11 July 5th 07 03:37 AM
Rhyl verdict out Tony Raven[_2_] UK 97 July 2nd 07 09:44 AM
sober reflection on an inebriated conversation Andy Gee General 9 October 3rd 05 10:17 PM
VDB penal verdict Van Hoorebeeck Bart Racing 3 June 24th 05 02:00 PM