Electric Bikes

Old May 31st 21, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Electric Bikes

On my 35 mile ride that was mostly through the Livermore Valley, I saw two electric bikes. I'm not exactly sure why someone would buy an electric bike for exercise unless they were attempting to keep up with a group and they were beginners but there you are,

I easily rode past them because both obviously had their power limiters as sold. It isn't as if I was trying to pass them because in both cases I eased up and intended to pass them at a red light so that it didn't look like I was trying to make them feel bad, but in one case he turned off as I was fairly close and the other case I was nearly coasting down a hill and those bikes are limited more or less to 15 mph as far as I can tell. Into a fairly strong headwind I was still doing 19 mph and simply wasn't going to slow down that much.

I can see reasons for an electric bike if you are commuting on them or, in the special case of a beginner trying to keep up with a slow group. But unless the power limiter is taken off they really are pretty slow and if you do take them off the battery has a pretty limited range.

One of them was supposed to look like a racing bike with an invisible battery but you can tell because of the size of the downtube. The other made no pretenses and was a rather clunky flat bar bike that the rider may have been using for transportation and had gone over the hill via Dublin Grade and was returning the same way. He also was not dressed in cycling clothing so that could not have extended his range.

I wonder how long these things will last on the market since a touring bike is probably every bit the commuter as they are.
Old May 31st 21, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 5/31/21 10:20 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On my 35 mile ride that was mostly through the Livermore Valley, I saw two electric bikes. I'm not exactly sure why someone would buy an electric bike for exercise unless they were attempting to keep up with a group and they were beginners but there you are,

That would be one reason. For experienced riders the reason is
different. They can then cover much more ground during the day,
especially on an E-MTB. With MTB the range can more than double,
assuming the same exercise level which is near full tilt for most guys.

[...]

Yuo can also here the telltake whirring when you are next to them.

The other made no pretenses and was a rather clunky flat bar bike that
the rider may have been using for transportation and had gone over the
hill via Dublin Grade and was returning the same way. He also was not
dressed in cycling clothing so that could not have extended his range.

What does cycling clothing have to do with range? I do not own such
clothing, don't want to, gives me rashes. I always ride in T-shirt and
jeans shorts and cover as much range as my buddies. Have to, because the
destination is usually a brewpub and I sure won't miss a good Pilsener
or Stout.

I wonder how long these things will last on the market since a touring bike is probably every bit the commuter as they are.

Sad to say but E-bikes will proliferate to no end. Both of us are young
enough that we may see the day where 50% of bikes ar E-bikes. Some
European countries are already almost there.

JFTR: I do not own an E-bike and don't plan to. Hoever, I can picture
myself switching to an E-MTB when my strength starts fading. Maybe when
I am 85, which is what I keep telling a riding buddy who wants to
convince me.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old May 31st 21, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/31/2021 12:20 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

One might just shoot them before they shoot you:

https://nypost.com/2021/05/30/man-ki...n-nyc-sources/

Or not. Your choice.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 31st 21, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 1:19:38 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

It is my opinion that e-bikes are going to be a short lived fad. Not because you might be able to make a practical e-bike but because they add NOTHNG to your riding pleasure and I am riding 25 mile weekly rides with an 88 year old. And another 88 year old that used to ride with us became useless when he quit riding to please the fears of his wife. Now he can hardly remember his name. Older people simply don't have the heart strength to climb much but then again a 68 year old group member, just did a ride from Castrol Valley to Yosemite via Sacramento (way out of the way) and took the train back. And he has a pacemaker on and has to take blood thinners.
Old June 1st 21, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 5/31/21 3:42 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

My opinion is the complete opposite :-)

Not that I like this trend but they are here to stay and will eventually
be the majority of bikes out there.

... Not
because you might be able to make a practical e-bike but because they
add NOTHNG to your riding pleasure ...

You have probably never ridden an E-MTB. I have, and it was loads of
fun. I was as sweat-drenched as usual but covered a lot more ground that
day. Enjoyed vistas I could have never reached otherwise.

... and I am riding 25 mile weekly
rides with an 88 year old. And another 88 year old that used to ride
with us became useless when he quit riding to please the fears of his
wife. ...

I've met a lot of people who said I could not be outdoors hiking, biking
or whatever because of COVID. What is wrong with them?

... Now he can hardly remember his name. Older people simply don't
have the heart strength to climb much but then again a 68 year old
group member, just did a ride from Castrol Valley to Yosemite via
Sacramento (way out of the way) and took the train back. And he has a
pacemaker on and has to take blood thinners.

Keep on riding, no matter what.

Old June 1st 21, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 3:42:28 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Hmmm. Ebikes generate the vast majority of Specialized's revenue. The industry does not see them as a passing fad.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 1st 21, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 31 May 2021 10:20:15 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

[...]

The numbers I see are that the e-bike market stood at 14.4 billion
(world wide I believe) in 2019 and is expected to reach 25.9 billion
by 2025 and that the fastest growth is expected to be in North
America.
https://www.psmarketresearch.com/mar.../e-bike-market
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 1st 21, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 4:04:44 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Remember that everything looks good until the batteries have to be replaced..
Old June 1st 21, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/31/2021 6:04 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

In theory, trees grow to heaven.

* 1957 - 25 million Hula Hoops were sold in less than four
months after Wham-O's launch.
* 1958 - Hula Hoop was trademarked by Wham-O.
* 1960 - More than 100 million units sold by Wham-O, in the
2 years after they were introduced, which was $45 million in
revenue at the time.

Old June 1st 21, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 4:20:21 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

No tree grows to heaven, not even in theory. I don't even know why people say that.

Will the ebike craze wane? Well, the outdoor craze in general will wane after COVID-19, although my friends in the industry think there will be a new, more favorable normal. Anyway, I can see the numbers dropping, but the market is not going away. The ebike is not going the way of the Hula Hoop, Silly Putty, Slinkies or YoYos -- just look at Asia and Europe. Ebikes are the new norm.

-- Jay Beattie.

Electric bikes. Fred General 36 December 13th 12 02:26 AM
electric bikes Uncle Spam UK 6 March 16th 10 03:40 PM
Electric bikes? Doug[_3_] UK 181 September 28th 09 01:48 PM
Electric Bikes Brian Jones UK 10 June 27th 05 12:07 AM
Electric Bikes. BringYouToLife General 9 October 11th 04 03:45 AM