Wal-Mart sued for improperly assembled bicycle

Old July 1st 08, 05:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

Default OT Coffee

In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
In your home. Scale changes things. Your categorical statement is false.
Do you know that the concrete pour of Boulder dam required cooling pipes
inside the pour, else the time required to dissipate the heat of
the hydration of the portland cement would be ~200 years?

Portland is a proper noun and should be capitalized, i.e. Portland cement.

You are wrong. It need not be, and is not typically.
http://www.cement.org/tech/harmonizing_standards.asp
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/materialsgrp/cement.html

Portland is capitalized in all the reference books that I have, and in
all the peer reviewed papers I can recall. Capitalization of Portland
cement is also standard in the architecture/engineering professions in
the US and UK.

It is not capitalized on the first two pages I found.
Looks like the minuscule is acceptable, to some, if not you.
You said I "should" capitalize. That is not so.
Perhaps if I were writing learned papers, the journal
editors would insist.

Would that be portland, oregon or portland, maine?

Neither. Rather, someone in the UK thought the finished product
resembled stone quarried from the Island of Portland in Dorset:

I knew that.

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Portland,+England&ie=UTF 8&ll=50.592827,-2.446518&spn=0.187438,0.420227&z=11.

Or http://preview.tinyurl.com/3gfwpy for Jobst.

--