Demonchaux Ti bikes?

Old June 29th 08, 06:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RS

Default Demonchaux Ti bikes?

Has anyone heard of Demonchaux bikes? Supposedley designed in Japan
and fabricated in France. I'm looking at a private party titanium road
bike with Campy Mirage 9sp, seems like a very nice frame but I can find
no information on it. thanks.

Old June 29th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

RS wrote:
Has anyone heard of Demonchaux bikes? Supposedley designed in Japan
and fabricated in France. I'm looking at a private party titanium road
bike with Campy Mirage 9sp, seems like a very nice frame but I can find
no information on it. thanks.

First result of a web search 'cycles demonchaux' gives Dirt Rag's list
of mountain bike manufacturers:
http://www.dirtragmag.com/links/list.php?category=bikes

but clicking the link gives an error 'forbidden' at:
http://www.dmcx.com/

other searches find broken or forbidden links referring to:
"Demonchaux Saint-Malo titanium frame combined with La classe titanium
fork "

??
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old June 30th 08, 08:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RS

In article ,
says...

RS wrote:
Has anyone heard of Demonchaux bikes? Supposedley designed in Japan
and fabricated in France. I'm looking at a private party titanium road
bike with Campy Mirage 9sp, seems like a very nice frame but I can find
no information on it. thanks.

First result of a web search 'cycles demonchaux' gives Dirt Rag's list
of mountain bike manufacturers:
http://www.dirtragmag.com/links/list.php?category=bikes

but clicking the link gives an error 'forbidden' at:
http://www.dmcx.com/

other searches find broken or forbidden links referring to:
"Demonchaux Saint-Malo titanium frame combined with La classe titanium
fork "

??
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Yep, I got the same results, thanks. The bike is a road frame Saint-Malo. Its
nice but I'm reluctant to buy a manufacturer that no longer exists.

Old June 30th 08, 09:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jun 30, 12:21*am, RS wrote:
In article ,
says...

RS wrote:
Has anyone heard of Demonchaux bikes? Supposedley designed in Japan
and fabricated in France. *I'm looking at a private party titanium road
bike with Campy Mirage 9sp, seems like a very nice frame but I can find
no information on it. *thanks.

First result of a web search 'cycles *demonchaux' gives Dirt Rag's list
of mountain bike manufacturers:
http://www.dirtragmag.com/links/list.php?category=bikes

but clicking the link gives an error 'forbidden' at:
http://www.dmcx.com/

other searches find broken or forbidden links referring to:
"Demonchaux Saint-Malo titanium frame combined with La classe titanium
fork "

??

Yep, I got the same results, thanks. *The bike is a road frame Saint-Malo. *Its
nice but I'm reluctant to buy a manufacturer that no longer exists.

The Internet Archive is your friend.
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.dmcx.com

Sometimes you need to fix broken links by making them
point back to the archive rather than the now-down
website. For example, that way you can get to:
http://web.archive.org/web/200502052...m/en/a126.html

In general, with a used bike you don't expect any
support from the manufacturer anyway. If there are
proprietary parts then you want to be sure the
manufacturer is going to stick around. But few
bikes have proprietary parts (except suspension
bikes, and the occasional odd internal headsets
or some dropouts).

I bought a 15 year old Dave Moulton frame a good
10+ years after Mr. Moulton stopped building bikes.
On the other hand, I bought a 25-30 year old Andy
Gilmour frame and took it 100 yards down the street
and asked Mr. Gilmour what size seatpost and BB
he thought it would take, so there are some benefits
to having an active builder.

Ben

Old July 1st 08, 06:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RS

In article bd3f3e07-3e9b-4128-a833-
,
says...

On Jun 30, 12:21*am, RS wrote:
In article ,

says...

RS wrote:
[...]

Your information was excellent! thank you.

I don't quite understand, though, how you got from
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.dmcx.com to the specificaddress?
Was that by clicking all the links that came up listed in the years? (if so thank
you btw).

Old July 2nd 08, 06:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jun 30, 10:55*pm, RS wrote:
[...]

Ah, be careful before you ask the secrets of an
old computer hacker that you really want to know
the answers.

It is quite simple when websites are structured as directory
trees. When links are relative to the root of a website, the
preserved Internet Archive version will often have links
relative to the Archive version, which work. The Archive
also attempts to reformat links to preserve them. But sometimes
the links will be absolute, or obfuscated by Javascript,
and try to send you to the absolute link location, here
something under www.dmcx.com, which is dead of course.
So you have to use the link location to discern the
internal structure of the website and reconstruct the link
so it points back to the Archive.

In this case, go to:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.dmcx.com ,
click on Feb 08, 2005 (similar procedure for other dates),
click on the little US/UK flag for the English version at
http://web.archive.org/web/200502150...w.dmcx.com/en/

Now there is a "select a product" menu at the upper left.
Select the "Saint-Malo." Due, probably, to the Javascript
form underlying this menu, this sends you away to
http://www.dmcx.com/en/a126.html
which is as dead as the rest of dmcx.com, of course.

But it is obvious how to reconstruct the URL to access
the archive version: simply tack "a126.html" on after the "/en/"
Thus we obtain:
http://web.archive.org/web/200502150...m/en/a126.html
Put that website into the location bar of your browser,
and there you go. The Archive actually redirects you to
http://web.archive.org/web/200502052...m/en/a126.html
the different number probably has something to do with how
the Archive's versioning, time stamps, or database hashing
work. Thus by understanding the structure of a site it is
possible to access its remnants directly.

Similarly, even with many site URLs that are more complex
than simple directory trees (URLs returned by Google Groups
searches are an excellent example) it is easy to decode
what the pieces of the URL mean, as a set of variables that are
input to some function.

Think! It ain't illegal yet.

Ben
Old July 2nd 08, 08:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RS

In article 4904513c-383d-4973-a0ad-
,
says...

On Jun 30, 10:55*pm, RS wrote:
[...]

Whew, will take me a bit to understand all that. Regardless, thank you for the
explanation and the information. Cheers and thank you!

Rick