A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Where "Safety Inflation" leads

Old October 22nd 19, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Where "Safety Inflation" leads

On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 1:06:28 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/21/2019 2:17 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, October 20, 2019 at 4:55:55 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, 20 October 2019 19:27:13 UTC-4, sms wrote:
Snipped-)
Snipped

2. For years, or decades, Frank has been making outrageous claims with
absolutely no proof. Whether it's lights or helmets or bicycle
infrastructure, he never has any legitimate references to back up his
assertions.

Snipped

You have got to be kidding! Frank has posted lots of data about lights, helmets, and bicycle infrastructure.

I have published research on helmets and am anti-helmet laws and I contradict anyone that says that "a helmet saved my life". I was the safety director of the American Federation of Motorcyclists and raced motorcycles which have FAR more need for head protection. I have toured the Bell helmet plant and had long talks with their engineers.

But that doesn't mean that helmets are not absolutely helpful in the overwhelming majority of accidents that the everyday cyclist encounters. And Franks has criticized that with absolutely no understanding of the problems..

Can you suggest who ever said that bicycle lights at night weren't necessary? As for blinking lights in the daytime. They might perhaps have some positive effect for people that wear dull colors but they don't have any effect at all for people that wear bright or dayglow kit.

Frank argues against bicycle infrastructure if you haven't noticed. There is a incidence of zero car collisions on Rails to Trails pathways. I personally do not use them for many reasons but do not claim that Frank has any "data".

Well, technically 'on the trails' maybe. Not counting
intersections.

I linked here recently to yet another death in which the
cyclist ignored the little advisory stop sign on the former
railroad bed and shot right across the often empty country
lane. Where the unsuspecting driver unavoidably killed her.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

There are a lot of bicycle pathways around here. I prefer generally to use the roads because the traffic flow is better and you are less likely to encounter cross traffic that doesn't expect bicycles. But I ride down Stanton Ave from Livermore to Pleasanton and the traffic travels on that street at freeway speeds and the backwash from them can cause control problems. There is also a bike path along side of that road 20 feet off of the road. That people would chose that is clearly what most people do. To the north of there is another east/west road - Jack London. It does not have a bike lane nor room for one. That people would take the bike path there is understandable too since that road is used as a shortcut between freeways.

The one alongside of Stanton has an entrance and separate exit from a recreational area. People have been hit there by traffic exiting too fast.

But Frank has no DATA on any of this because these sorts of accidents are so few and far between that the "data" is meaningless. Frank is a very bad at probability math to begin with and he isn't improving with time.
Ads
Old October 22nd 19, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster

On 10/21/2019 6:56 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I do NOT ride the rail-trail when there are amny people on it. It's simply not worth the risks and the road next to it once past the highway is much safer.

There are a couple rail trails near here that I ride on occasion. I like
them because they seldom have many people on them. An empty rail trail
can be quite pleasant.

But it's a bit of a hard sell to say "The government should build a rail
trail here. It will be great, because hardly anyone will use it!"

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 22nd 19, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

On Monday, 21 October 2019 20:00:14 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/21/2019 6:56 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I do NOT ride the rail-trail when there are amny people on it. It's simply not worth the risks and the road next to it once past the highway is much safer.

can be quite pleasant.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Oh man but I hear you. There's a 78 kilometers long rail trail that runs from Cambridge Canada passes near Paris and then to Hamilton via Brantford. It's on the right of way of the old Lake Erie and Northern Electric Railway that used to run all the way down to Port Dover on Lake Erie. During the weekdays it's not to busy until perhaps shortly before dinner time. However on the weekends and especially nice days in summer that rail-trail is like a major highway during rush hour with all sorts of congestion and idiots to the point that a bicyclist is best to avoid it. I don't know how much it cost to convert it to the limestone dust trail but in sections about 6km south of Cambridge to close to Cambridge that trail is getting overgrown to the point where it's almost a single track trail with not enough room for two bicycles to pass each other. A lot of the times I find that once at the trail head in Cambridge it's faster to ride to Paris along a nearby road than to use the trail even though the trail is straighter and has a maximum 3% grade running down to Paris. Put those dog walkers with the long thin retractable leashes on it and you have a pretty dangerous ride especially if you ride at any speed.

Cheers
Old October 22nd 19, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster

On 10/21/2019 8:37 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

On Monday, 21 October 2019 20:00:14 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:

can be quite pleasant.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Oh man but I hear you. There's a 78 kilometers long rail trail that runs from Cambridge Canada passes near Paris and then to Hamilton via Brantford. It's on the right of way of the old Lake Erie and Northern Electric Railway that used to run all the way down to Port Dover on Lake Erie. During the weekdays it's not to busy until perhaps shortly before dinner time. However on the weekends and especially nice days in summer that rail-trail is like a major highway during rush hour with all sorts of congestion and idiots to the point that a bicyclist is best to avoid it. I don't know how much it cost to convert it to the limestone dust trail but in sections about 6km south of Cambridge to close to Cambridge that trail is getting overgrown to the point where it's almost a single track trail with not enough room for two bicycles to pass each other. A lot of the times I find that once at the trail head in Cambridge it's faster to ride to Paris along a nearby road than to use the trail even though the trail is straighter and has a maximum 3% grade running down to Paris. Put those dog walkers with the long thin retractable leashes on it and you have a pretty dangerous ride especially if you ride at any speed.

At the very edge of my riding territory is Cuyahoga Valley National
Park. It has a "towpath trail" (crushed limestone, where my friend fell
and was knocked out). See https://goo.gl/maps/2MPYSiEWHz2iSdiKA

On weekends it's a veritable zoo. I think most roadies faster than even
13 mph prefer to ride the parallel Riverview Road or Akron-Peninsula
Road. Unfortunately, a few are insufficiently wise or brave, and they
tend to cause problems.

BTW and IIRC, a few years ago some congressman supposedly passed a law
stating that if a national park had a bike path within a mile of a paved
road, cyclists must use the path. But that law is certainly ignored in CVNP.

That towpath is remaining from the first canal in Ohio, which extended
from Cleveland to Portsmouth on the Ohio River and opened up the brand
new state for commerce. A few years ago, my wife and another friend
toured the length of the canal south to north, mostly on roads as near
as possible to the canal route. In southern Ohio, the canal is almost
forgotten, to the point it required lots of research for me to determine
its route.

It was a lovely tour, with nice historical surprises. It was fun to come
across remains of an abandoned and unheralded lock along some wooded
country road, plus a few museums, a restored canal boat, etc. And on a
rainy weekday, the CVNP towpath was empty.

--
- Frank Krygowski