Anyone know when Shimano ALTUS AX derailleurs were produced?

Old October 22nd 19, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Anyone know when Shimano ALTUS AX derailleurs were produced?

The title says it all but here's the question.

Anyone know when Shimano ALTUS AX derailleurs were produced?

I never knew there were such things but I have both a front and a rear Altus AX derailleur. The front looks just like a standard Shimano front derailleur like the Shimano FE and t he rear derailleur looks somewhat like the Adamas AX one but has provision for external cable housing whereas the Adamas AX, 600 AX and Dura Ace AX do not use any external cable housing on the rear derailleur.

Cheers
Old October 22nd 19, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/22/2019 11:53 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
The title says it all but here's the question.

Anyone know when Shimano ALTUS AX derailleurs were produced?

I never knew there were such things but I have both a front and a rear Altus AX derailleur. The front looks just like a standard Shimano front derailleur like the Shimano FE and t he rear derailleur looks somewhat like the Adamas AX one but has provision for external cable housing whereas the Adamas AX, 600 AX and Dura Ace AX do not use any external cable housing on the rear derailleur.

Cheers

AX was 1980 as I recall.

Check the two letter date code on the part:
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Jap...date_codes.htm

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 22nd 19, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, 22 October 2019 13:02:57 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/22/2019 11:53 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
The title says it all but here's the question.

Anyone know when Shimano ALTUS AX derailleurs were produced?

I never knew there were such things but I have both a front and a rear Altus AX derailleur. The front looks just like a standard Shimano front derailleur like the Shimano FE and t he rear derailleur looks somewhat like the Adamas AX one but has provision for external cable housing whereas the Adamas AX, 600 AX and Dura Ace AX do not use any external cable housing on the rear derailleur.

Cheers

AX was 1980 as I recall.

Check the two letter date code on the part:
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Jap...date_codes.htm

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Andrew, before this thread, had you ever heard of ALTUS AX?

Cheers
Old October 22nd 19, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/22/2019 1:44 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Yes on department store bikes. See also Adamas AX.

Old October 22nd 19, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

[...]

Here's your spec sheet:
http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/...page_86.htm l

and don't forget POSEIDON! Almost as good as the movie.
Bottoms up!

http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/...page_85.htm l

Old October 22nd 19, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/22/2019 3:19 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/22/2019 1:44 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Andrew, before this thread, had you ever heard of ALTUS AX?

Here's your spec sheet:
http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/...page_86.htm l

and don't forget POSEIDON!Â* Almost as good as the movie. Bottoms up!

http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/...page_85.htm l

I fixed up a neat antique Italian 20" wheel bike for a young lad.
(Originally 18" wheels.) He loves it. But the brand name is a bit
off-putting: Titanic.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 24th 19, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

[...]

Thanks Andrew. I can't find a date code on the front derailleur but the rear one was made in October 1982. I guess the front is the same date.

Here's a link to the rear Altus AX derailleur I have.
https://flic.kr/p/2hzviic

Here's a link to the front Alstus AX derailleur I have.
https://flic.kr/p/2hzvikX

Adjusting the high gear limit on that Adamas AX rear derailleur is a real chore. Unlike the Altus AX with two normally located limit bolts the Adamas AX high gear limit bolt is inside the derailleur body and is accessed through a flip-open grey plastic part. There's a funny U-shape part that the high limit bolt threads through and that part seems to have a few possible positions. I haven't figured out yet which one will allow me to move the derailleur cage closer to the frame.

Cheers