answer to ABS question

Old October 24th 19, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default answer to ABS question

On 10/24/2019 5:10 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 5:49:47 PM UTC+1, sms wrote:
On 10/24/2019 9:03 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 8:36:53 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...andlebars.html

Shimano seems to have at least one customer waiting.

You're right. I've changed my mind. We need ABS on all bikes -- immediately.

BTW, classic high-side crash. He slides the rear wheel, locks up the front and goes OTB -- luckily not fracturing his collar bone. And with a shock fork, to boot. And before the disc hysterics chime in, that's totally do-able on a rim brake bike, but not on a coaster brake. Coaster brakes for all!

Coaster brakes are really just drum brakes, the hub is the brake drum. A
lot of benefits to drum brakes that you don't get with disc brakes.

There are drum brakes and drum brakes, though. Shimano's roller brakes are a manner of drum brake and they're as efficient as a disc and less liable to wear and damage. But they require service, which defeats the advantage of an enclosed brake.

Andre Jute
Even a crude piece of engineering can over time be refined

Such service being a shot of grease through the port on top
now and again. Hardly complex or difficult, not any more
'trouble' than topping up your tires.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 24th 19, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 1:47:05 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 10:36:53 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...andlebars.html

Shimano seems to have at least one customer waiting.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Watching the video, the brakes had nothing to do with the flip. He would have made the same flip on a coaster rear brake only bike with no front brake at all. He stopped his forward momentum and flipped because he turned his wheel sideways. The rubber tire going sideways on the pavement stopped him and caused him to flip over. Turn a wheel sideways and you will flip every time. No brakes needed.

I disagree. He is accelerating through a turn and preparing to hit the curb cut. He brakes and skids his rear wheel. You can see the skid and the squirm, and then he locks up the front wheel, which turns and throws him OTB.. It's a classic high side crash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2bOZL9xOlA BTW, we all need to be wearing full leathers and full-face motorcycle helmets.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old October 25th 19, 12:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 11:22:50 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

True, but I set out to develop a bike with the absolute minimum service and routine maintenance requirement, and have succeeded to the extent that the entire service is
1. Changing the gearbox oil once a year.
2. At the same time giving the EXT click box (fixed by a large thumbscrew) a shot of best quality American cycle grease.
3. Checking the balloon tyres (60mm) every month or two.
4. Wiping the bike down with its own Porthault towel if it gets wet.
5. Er, there isn't a No. 5. The chain is operated on the factory grease for its entire life (4500km) and changed with the oil regardless of life being left on it, the brake blocks last 10,000km and are changed at every second oil service regardless of life left on them. Everything else is sealed for life.

However, I dropped roller brakes not because of their service requirement but because Magura's rim hydraulics are more progressive brakes (and of course sealed for life).

I didn't describe the process of arriving at such a minimum maintenance bike on RBT because there's no point in giving the resident scum more chances to hound me. Instead I described it elsewhere, where the members have decent manners, and was much appreciated for it, and many followed my example.

Andre Jute
The wretched state of RBT is the guilt of the resident scum calling everyone liars
Old October 25th 19, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 24/10/2019 18:49, sms wrote:
On 10/24/2019 9:03 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 8:36:53 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...andlebars.html

Shimano seems to have at least one customer waiting.

You're right. I've changed my mind. We need ABS on all bikes --
immediately.

BTW, classic high-side crash. He slides the rear wheel, locks up
the front and goes OTB -- luckily not fracturing his collar bone.
And with a shock fork, to boot. And before the disc hysterics chime
in, that's totally do-able on a rim brake bike, but not on a
coaster brake. Coaster brakes for all!

Coaster brakes are really just drum brakes, the hub is the brake
drum. A lot of benefits to drum brakes that you don't get with disc
brakes.

Listen. I thought we got this sorted. Neither shalt thou bring an
abomination into thine house, lest thou be a cursed thing like it: but
thou shalt utterly detest it, and thou shalt utterly abhor it; for it is
a cursed thing.

Just DON'T!