Wal-Mart sued for improperly assembled bicycle

Old June 10th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Eric Vey

Default Wal-Mart sued for improperly assembled bicycle

http://www.madisonrecord.com/news/21...embled-bicycle

. . .
During Tony Willyard's first ride June 4, 2006, the handle bars
"detached from the steering stem, causing Plaintiff to lose control of
the bicycle, flip over the handle bars, and strike the ground, hitting
his right shoulder on the curb, and causing Plaintiff severe and
permanent injuries," the complaint states.
. . .
Old June 11th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Eric Vey wrote:
http://www.madisonrecord.com/news/21...embled-bicycle

. . .
During Tony Willyard's first ride June 4, 2006, the handle bars
"detached from the steering stem, causing Plaintiff to lose control of
the bicycle, flip over the handle bars, and strike the ground, hitting
his right shoulder on the curb, and causing Plaintiff severe and
permanent injuries," the complaint states.
. . .

cT = 0.96.

dude, walmart get sued a thousand times a day. from defective
toothbrushes to poison bathroom cleaner. the ability to litigate
frivolously against our financial/commercial behemoths is one of our
greatest freedoms. and for said behemoths, it's simply a cost of doing
business.

next please.

Old June 12th 08, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_3_]

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:16:31 -0400, in rec.bicycles.tech Eric Vey
wrote:

http://www.madisonrecord.com/news/21...embled-bicycle

. . .
During Tony Willyard's first ride June 4, 2006, the handle bars
"detached from the steering stem, causing Plaintiff to lose control of
the bicycle, flip over the handle bars, and strike the ground, hitting
his right shoulder on the curb, and causing Plaintiff severe and
permanent injuries," the complaint states.
. . .

They'll settle out of court for between 10 and 20K. Low end if they
documented training and quality assured the assembly; high end if no
training at all.

It's an every day thing.

Jones

Old June 13th 08, 04:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 02:57:06 GMT, still just me
wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 13:39:26 -0500, !Jones wrote:

They'll settle out of court for between 10 and 20K. Low end if they
documented training and quality assured the assembly; high end if no
training at all.

It's an every day thing.

It will go higher than that. I had similar, but lesser injuries and
spent $13K in medical costs alone. If the kid really has permanent
injuries, they will have to send quite a bit more his way.

A client of an insurance company I do work for had an uninsured
handyman fix a changeroom door. While the door was off the hinges, one
of their customers bumped the door and it fell and banged their head.
The insurance company IN CANADA paid out 80 grand - NO PERMANENT
INJURIES.
If this Wallmart case in in the US, it will very likely go over 100
grand.
Old June 13th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Luke

In article , clare at
snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

A client of an insurance company I do work for had an uninsured
handyman fix a changeroom door. While the door was off the hinges, one
of their customers bumped the door and it fell and banged their head.
The insurance company IN CANADA paid out 80 grand - NO PERMANENT
INJURIES.
If this Wallmart case in in the US, it will very likely go over 100
grand.

Shoulda been wearing a brain bucket. Donning the flame retardant suit...
Old June 14th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 13:39:26 -0500, !Jones wrote:

They'll settle out of court for between 10 and 20K. Low end if they
documented training and quality assured the assembly; high end if no
training at all.

It's an every day thing.

It will go higher than that. I had similar, but lesser injuries and
spent $13K in medical costs alone. If the kid really has permanent
injuries, they will have to send quite a bit more his way.

A client of an insurance company I do work for had an uninsured
handyman fix a changeroom door. While the door was off the hinges, one
of their customers bumped the door and it fell and banged their head.
The insurance company IN CANADA paid out 80 grand - NO PERMANENT
INJURIES.
If this Wallmart case in in the US, it will very likely go over 100
grand.

Some very interesting anti-plaintiff precedents have been set here in the
US as a result of the exorbitant settlements for frivolous claims of the
past 10-15 years - the McDonald's Hot Coffee Lawsuit is a good example.

These large settlements have encouraged unscrupulous trial lawyers (also
known as "ambulance chasers") to pursue more borderline cases. The result
has been that many bona fide claims for real injuries have been minimized
or outright denied.

The number of "slip and fall" claims have proliferated to such a point
that the burden of proof has been set so high that many legitimate lawyers
do not want to take on these kinds of cases.

It seems that many insurance companies here in the US have a policy of
quickly settling frivolous claims while vigorously fighting claims for
real injuries.

I recently settled a property damage suit for less than my out of pocket
legal expenses. Allstate Insurance spent over $250,000 and 4 years
defending against a claim that originally could have been settled for
under $10,000. I took their "take it or leave it" settlement offer
because they suggested that the case could be stretched out another 2
years if I didn't.

So in the case of Wal-Mart and the defective bike, they may or may not
settle quickly. Many insurance companies are making low "take it or leave
it" offers.

Chas.

Old June 14th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_3_]

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 02:57:06 GMT, in rec.bicycles.tech still just me
wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 13:39:26 -0500, !Jones wrote:

They'll settle out of court for between 10 and 20K. Low end if they
documented training and quality assured the assembly; high end if no
training at all.

It's an every day thing.

It will go higher than that. I had similar, but lesser injuries and
spent $13K in medical costs alone. If the kid really has permanent
injuries, they will have to send quite a bit more his way.

Not unless the injured party fights for it. He or she will have to be
ready to go to court and that takes 10 to 15K in front money... if the
person is broke, they can pay 60%. A lawyer comes in and gets 50K;
big deal... I'd settle for 20K out of court; it's where I end up.

But, it all depends: a young, white, female (particularly a blonde)
will be premium.

Then, there's the negligence issue. Being liable for damages is one
thing, knowing the bike wasn't assembled properly and selling it
anyway is a whole 'nuther kettle of fish. Once it gets there, it
doesn't have a cap on it... but you have a tougher standard to meet.

Jones
Old June 14th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_3_]

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 23:22:00 -0400, in rec.bicycles.tech clare at
snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

A client of an insurance company I do work for had an uninsured
handyman fix a changeroom door. While the door was off the hinges, one
of their customers bumped the door and it fell and banged their head.
The insurance company IN CANADA paid out 80 grand - NO PERMANENT
INJURIES.
If this Wallmart case in in the US, it will very likely go over 100

Canada and the US have no significant difference in that area. They
had to be feeding a solicitor to get that much; besides, retail
premises defect will usually exceed product liability.

Jones... who knows nothing about the Wally-World deal.

Old June 14th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_3_]

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 17:22:32 -0400, in rec.bicycles.tech "Sandy"
wrote:

Jones... who knows nothing about the Wally-World deal.

Suggested last line revision:

"Jones - who knows nothing about the varying provincial and state laws on
product liability or payment schedules for health care."

Well, that wouldn't be accurate. I'm a retired insurance underwriter
formerly with Farmer's Insurance Group out of LA and currently
teaching employee benefits at Texas A&M University, Kingsville, TX. I
freely admit that South Texas is about as far from Canada as you can
get in the US; however, my wife is a Newfy from Saint John's and I try
to spend my summers in your beautiful country. If the US ever starts
drafting 60-year-old men (and we might), I'm coming up there to live!

Please do not place words in my mouth. I'm quite able to speak for
myself, thank you,

Jones

Old June 15th 08, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

"still just me" wrote in message

Actually, if you do some reading on the McDonald's Hot Coffee Lawsuit
you will find that it was not at all frivolous. First, the coffee the
woman was served was at a temperature high enough to burn human flesh.
We're not talking hot coffee... we're talking scalding hot coffee.

You mean like ANY boiling water that someone makes for themselves? Let's not
forget that the coffee was advertised as HOT. Let's not forget that most
people wanted it that way. And especially let's not forget that the woman
spilled the coffee on herself.