Wal-Mart sued for improperly assembled bicycle

Old June 15th 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

Default Wal-Mart sued for improperly assembled bicycle

In article
,
Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Jun 14, 11:16 pm, still just me wrote:

Actually, if you do some reading on the McDonald's Hot Coffee Lawsuit
you will find that it was not at all frivolous. First, the coffee the
woman was served was at a temperature high enough to burn human flesh.
We're not talking hot coffee... we're talking scalding hot coffee.
Second, McDonalds knew the coffee was scalding hot. Their own internal
memos recognized and discussed it. The 160 degree serving temperature
was in their manual (All franchises are required to follow "the
manual" to the letter).

Yes, we've been through this before.

I don't drink coffee. I switched to tea way back in college, when
coffee started bothering my stomach during late night study sessions.

And fearless tea drinkers - everyone from Jolly Roger pirates to
dainty old ladies in white floppy hats - have _always_ known that tea
is made with water at a full, rolling biol. Hell, those little old
ladies even pre-heat their teapots to keep the temperature up.

This they what they know, and it is true for many teas.
Other teas are much better steeped with water poured
at 200 F. Darjeeling, for instance. Green oolong
is best steeped at 180 F, and for less than a minute.

--
Michael Press
Old June 15th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Luke

In article , Sandy
wrote:

Dans le message de ,
!Jones a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 21:29:15 -0400, in rec.bicycles.tech "Sandy"
wrote:

Let it astound you as I sign this, in further confirmation of your
ignorance.....

You were arguing about Canadian provencial [sic] laws; therefore, I made
the
assumption that you were Canadian. I meant no offense.

So, you were insulting which nationality? Canadian? USA?

The French?
Old June 17th 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

"still just me" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 21:21:29 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

I'm no McDonalds fan. I enter them perhaps once in ten years, usually
under duress. But that case, and Stella, and her lawyers, and nearly
all the other McDonalds-suing lawyers, deserve all the mockery they've
gotten.

Sorry, but you're wrong in this case.

Sorry but you're wrong.

If someone buys HOT COFFEE and doesn't know it's hot then it is a clear case
of Buyer Beware.

Old June 18th 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

wrote:
I'm no McDonalds fan. I enter them perhaps once in ten years, usually
under duress. But that case, and Stella, and her lawyers, and nearly
all the other McDonalds-suing lawyers, deserve all the mockery they've
gotten.

Sorry, but you're wrong in this case. They knowingly served a product
that was dangerous to customers.

As dangerous as the tea I pour every day!

Their files were full of external and
internal discussions and acknowledgement of the danger. They chose to
ignore the danger. They knew better. They were negligent. They
rightfully lost the suit.

I'll admit that I haven't seen McDonalds supposed files regarding
their hot coffee - but I'm suspicious about them being proof of
anything. Here's why.

I imagine every large corporation that deals with the public is a
constant target of ambitious lawyers, much like Microsoft, Yahoo and
Ebay are constant targets of hackers. I would expect all these
corporations have documents related to each "attack." McDonalds (or
GM, or even your public library) having such a document is not an
admission of guilt.

Yes, hot coffee is dangerous. So are sharp knives, which are (gasp!)
presented to patrons in thousands or restaurants every day. So are
power saws, which hardware stores recklessly sell to untrained
consumers. So are hammers, which have been implicated in thousands of
murders. But if Home Depot keeps records of a lawsuit ("Your hammer
was used to kill my husband in a bar fight!") it means nothing.

And BTW, I've mentioned several times that tea is properly served at
scalding temperatures. In fact, though I don't frequent such places,
I understand that tea houses serve entire pots of boiling water, along
with delicate little snacks. In the repeated discussions we've had
over Stella's McDonalds accident, nobody has explained why tea houses
aren't being sued and vilified.

Oh - except, perhaps, that their pockets are much, much less deep.

- Frank Krygowski
Old June 18th 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message

And BTW, I've mentioned several times that tea is properly served at
scalding temperatures. In fact, though I don't frequent such places,
I understand that tea houses serve entire pots of boiling water, along
with delicate little snacks. In the repeated discussions we've had
over Stella's McDonalds accident, nobody has explained why tea houses
aren't being sued and vilified.

Oh - except, perhaps, that their pockets are much, much less deep.

- Frank Krygowski

Is holding a steaming hot cup of tea in your crotch considered proper
etiquette in a tea room?

Old June 18th 08, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

"Frank Krygowski" wrote

Carl Sundquist wrote:
Is holding a steaming hot cup of tea in your crotch considered proper
etiquette in a tea room?

As a cyclist who drives infrequently but takes driving seriously my
personal opinion is that every ditz brain who drives a motor vehicle
while drinking a beverage should be boiled in oil. A cup of hot water is
a good start.

Maybe she'll pay better attention to the cyclists in the lane next to
her without the coffee distraction. All that goes double for driving
distracted by cell phones, text messaging and video displays (maps,
porn, whatnot). It's a multi-thousand pound projectile fer chrissake
-please pay attention!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old June 18th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jun 17, 10:49 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:
"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message

And BTW, I've mentioned several times that tea is properly served at
scalding temperatures. In fact, though I don't frequent such places,
I understand that tea houses serve entire pots of boiling water,
along with delicate little snacks. In the repeated discussions
we've had over Stella's McDonalds accident, nobody has explained why
tea houses aren't being sued and vilified.

Oh - except, perhaps, that their pockets are much, much less deep.

- Frank Krygowski

Is holding a steaming hot cup of tea in your crotch considered proper
etiquette in a tea room?

Nope. Not in a tea room, and not in a moving car. Its considered
flagrantly stupid in either place.

Do people hand patrons scalding hot tea in cardboard cups with ill-fitting
plastic pop-off tops?

No, Bill, it's even worse! They serve them in thin china cups with no
insulation and no tops at all.

So are you ready to sue them?

- Frank Krygowski
Old June 19th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Frank Krygowski" wrote

Carl Sundquist wrote:
Is holding a steaming hot cup of tea in your crotch considered proper
etiquette in a tea room?

As a cyclist who drives infrequently but takes driving seriously my
personal opinion is that every ditz brain who drives a motor vehicle
while drinking a beverage should be boiled in oil. A cup of hot water is
a good start.

Maybe she'll pay better attention to the cyclists in the lane next to
her without the coffee distraction. All that goes double for driving
distracted by cell phones, text messaging and video displays (maps,
porn, whatnot). It's a multi-thousand pound projectile fer chrissake
-please pay attention!
--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Dear Andrew,

Could you please tell us whether she was the driver or the passenger,
how old she was, and describe the extent of her injuries and
surgeries--that is, first, second, or third degree burns, how many
skin grafts were required, where they were, and how long she was in
the hospital?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old June 19th 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

wrote in message
Could you please tell us whether she was the driver or the passenger,
how old she was, and describe the extent of her injuries and
surgeries--that is, first, second, or third degree burns, how many
skin grafts were required, where they were, and how long she was in
the hospital?

Can you explain what difference any of that would make? If you purchase a
cup of coffee one would naturally assume that you have the ability to drink
it without spilling it all over yourself.

Old June 19th 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

"Frank Krygowski" wrote

wrote:
Could you please tell us whether she was the driver or the passenger,
how old she was, and describe the extent of her injuries and
surgeries--that is, first, second, or third degree burns, how many
skin grafts were required, where they were, and how long she was in
the hospital?

Never met her. I have an irrationally intense response to distracted
drivers. Too many incidents in traffic.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/