Last TDF winner to flat?

Old June 25th 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Patrick Lamb

Default Last TDF winner to flat?

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 22:57:42 -0600, wrote:
Did Armstrong have flat tires in the Tour de France?

If not, how far back do we have to go to find a TDF winner who had a
flat tire?

I'm sure that some RBT posters who know the answers, but I drew a
complete blank.

I don't know about flats, but he did crash and break his bike (the
chainstay) on the final climb -- anybody remember that one?

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old June 25th 08, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jun 24, 7:44*pm, wrote:

But a link (snip)

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...C0A96F9582 60

Apologies for using google as a newsread. I know that's considered
Fredly here in nerd land...

Mark
Old June 25th 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 20:40:24 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Jun 24, 7:44*pm, wrote:

But a link (snip)

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...C0A96F9582 60

Apologies for using google as a newsread. I know that's considered
Fredly here in nerd land...

Mark

Dear Mark,

Thanks!

Interestingly, the NYT took a less dramatic view of Armstrong's 1999
flat tire than the earlier example:

"Armstrong, on the other hand, had good luck throughout. He had his
first flat tire of the [1999] Tour today during a mainly ceremonial
final stage, when it did no harm, as it could have done during a stage
in the mountains."

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...C0A96F9582 60

In contrast, the USA Today article that Ben found made it sound as if
Armstrong was lucky to have a loyal team (unlike those treacherous
domestiques that we all deplore) to get him back into the race:

"And not only was Armstrong clad in the yellow shirt of the race's
leader - his wheel was yellow, too."

"Later, Armstrong was to lose that newly decorated wheel to a
puncture, but his loyal teammates from the U.S. Postal Service helped
him back to the pack."
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycli...our/wrapup.htm

***

So two posters found accounts of Armstrong flatting on the final stage
of 1999.

If that turns out to be Armstrong's only flat in the TDF, Mike can be
forgiven for thinking that Armstrong led a charmed life.

Me, I'm trying to imagine only a single flat in ~2300 miles.

***

As for using Google Groups, no apologies are needed.

Google Groups is free, it works fine for lots of people, its archives
are about the only game in town for RBT, and it entertains grouchy
posters with nothing else to quibble about.

I often use Google Groups when I belatedly reply to a post deleted
from my Agent newsreader.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old June 25th 08, 05:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

On Jun 24, 7:44 pm, wrote:

[...]

snippage

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Carl,
That'd be 1 flat in ~(2300 * 7) = 16,100 miles!
Kerry

Old June 25th 08, 05:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

- Mike, I believe Lance did fall in that big crash in the early stages
- of the TDF in 2003 that broke Tyler Hamilton's collarbone. As far as
- flats, I have the DVD of the 1990 TDF and Lemond flatted while wearing
- the yellow jersey in one of the later stages.
-
- Smokey

More notably he crashed when he snagged the handbag on Luz Ardiden. I
remember that one as if I was there. Which makes sense, given that I was
there. Not on Luz Ardiden, but at the summit of the Tourmalet, which
immediately preceded it. I had phoned my wife after the race when through
and was getting updates from her on the final minutes of the climb,
including when Lance crashed. It was pretty exciting; she was almost
screaming into the phone.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"smokey" wrote in message
On Jun 23, 11:12 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
wrote in message

Did Armstrong have flat tires in the Tour de France?

If not, how far back do we have to go to find a TDF winner who had a
flat tire?

I'm sure that some RBT posters who know the answers, but I drew a
complete blank.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Carl: Lance was one of the most incredibly-lucky cyclists ever. He didn't
get flats, period. He didn't crash. He had amazing luck when things could
have gone very badly (the "shortcut" when Beloki ate the pavement).

In general, I think you'll find stronger riders get fewer flats, whether
racing or otherwise. It's the guys towards the middle & back that have the
problems, because they don't get to see the road ahead of them. In fact,
there's a phenomenon we see at the shop quite often where the guy who's
always just barely hanging onto the back of the fast rides is doing a
number
on tires & wheels that's way out of proportion to the miles ridden,
because
he's just following wheels and doesn't have the energy to avoid the
potholes
& such that suddenly open up in front of him.

But getting back to the Tour de France, you also need to keep in mind that
there are few flats among *any* of the riders. If you've ridden the roads,
you'd see why. They generally use roads that are already in excellent
shape
or are re-paved not long before the 'Tour comes through. Too bad they
won't
bother to use asphalt that doesn't melt at room temperature.

wrote in message

Did Armstrong have flat tires in the Tour de France?

If not, how far back do we have to go to find a TDF winner who had a
flat tire?

I'm sure that some RBT posters who know the answers, but I drew a
complete blank.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel- Hide quoted text -

Old June 25th 08, 05:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:19:01 -0700, "Kerry Montgomery"
wrote:

.. .

On Jun 24, 7:44 pm, wrote:

[...]

Dear Kerry,

Yikes!

I was trying not to think about that possibility and sticking to just
the 1999 TDF.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old June 25th 08, 05:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

I don't know about flats, but he did crash and break his bike (the
chainstay) on the final climb -- anybody remember that one?

Luz Ardiden, 2003, perhaps the most-exciting TdF finish in a number of years
as Lance truly looked vulnerable. An incredible race to watch (I was there).
It would have to be my favorite of the 7 years I visited the TdF.

Old June 25th 08, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

Me, I'm trying to imagine only a single flat in ~2300 miles.

I'm thankful I *don't* have a flat every 2300 miles! I don't even remember
my last flat on the road. I'd have to check my old almost-daily-diary
entries to find out, but, and I really shouldn't be saying this, it might be
6k miles at this point. On average, I probably get one flat every 3k miles
or so (two per year).

The Winner! Burt Racing 0 April 10th 08 12:59 AM
Flat Resistant or Flat Proof Tires Jeff Grippe Recumbent Biking 9 February 3rd 07 05:35 AM
And the winner is? Curtis L. Russell Racing 5 March 3rd 06 03:33 AM
And the winner is..... Just zis Guy, you know? UK 4 December 15th 03 09:48 PM